Operation Yellow Elephant

OneFinger

This topic is 6035 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Young Republican Meeting Target of Military Question

By Kirsten Searer ([email protected])

LAS VEGAS SUN

Despite an Internet effort to drum up opposition, several hundred of the nation's most ambitious young Republicans convened Thursday with little controversy.

Activists of a loosely organized campaign called "Operation Yellow Elephant" had threatened to protest the Young Republican National Convention at Mandalay Bay this week.

They argue that Young Republicans who support the war in Iraq should enlist in the military, especially given recent lags in recruiting.

Their motto: Sign up or shut up...

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/lv-gov/2005/jul/08/519021050.html

Sign up or shut up - sounds good to me! I think everyone (male or female) should be required to serve either 2 years in the military or Peace Corp.

[blockquote]Sign up or shut up - sounds good to me! I think everyone (male or female) should be required to serve either 2 years in the military or Peace Corp.[/blockquote]I flirt with this concept from time to time... if it's the kids' choice and with a different more-enlightened administration maybe I could see it. Would hate to end up like Israel, though. But I can see how it'd be way too easy for the out-of-control neocon imperialists currently in power to use this mandatory service to fuel the war machine with coffin stuffers. No... this war machine juggernaut needs the anorexia treatment, not more bodies to hurl at the jihadists we created.

Now if you meant all these idiot baby hawks doing their rah-rah dance for other people's sons fighting and dying, yet conveniently busy themselves to be bothered to go, yeah, sign the fuckers up! That's just my heart saying that, not what I would actually want to see happen... I'm ready for this shit to end ASAP, preferably with Bush's impeachment trial... care to lay odds?

>Now if you meant...

I meant exactly what I said. There should be MANDATORY 2 years service for EVERYONE (except for those with certified physical or mental handicaps).

I don't care if it's Republicans, Democrats, or the Green Party in office. The Bush twins, Cheney's gay daughter, Chelsea Clinton, taylor, woodlawn, etc. should all be required to serve.

On a lighter note, can you imagine how cute Rick M. would look in uniform? :9

[blockquote]In my world it wouldn't be hypotheticals but would be reality.[/blockquote]I totally, totally believe you my good man!

src=http://ghettobaby.net/Emoticons/EMOTES222VISITGHETTOBABYDOTNETDONOTDIRECTLINK/patriotic.gif

>Despite an Internet effort to drum up opposition, several

>hundred of the nation's most ambitious young Republicans

>convened Thursday with little controversy.

>

>Activists of a loosely organized campaign called "Operation

>Yellow Elephant" had threatened to protest the Young

>Republican National Convention at Mandalay Bay this week.

>

>They argue that Young Republicans who support the war in Iraq

>should enlist in the military, especially given recent lags in

>recruiting.

>

>Their motto: Sign up or shut up...

This behavior is unfortunately typical of Republicans in general. They want war (that's why they invented one in Iraq) but they are unwilling to serve. Shrub? national Guard and then went AWOL. Cheney? Couldn't be bothered. There should have been a US Army recruiting table right outside the venue. I'll betcha no one would have signed up.

Guest Merlin

It is doubtful that the US has the constitutional power to require service, other than the military draft. The power to draft has been implied as a matter of necessity from the vaguely worded powers to wage war and raise an army. But mandatory peaceful service could not be so implied and would be contrary to specific provisions such as no deprivation of liberty without due process. The idea of mandatory service, other than military, was the invention of the totalitarian states. Hitler had his Hitler Youth, Stalin his Young Communists, and both Mao tse tung and Castro delight in requiring the young to devote years of their lives to service. The underlying concept is that the state is all powerful and can do whatever it likes with the lives of its citizens, and is inconsistent without American ideals of civil rights and liberty. It appeals to liberals and other Marxists who consciously or unconsciously believe that the government can and should impose economic equality, by confiscatory taxes etc. They like the idea of forcing affluent white young people to serve the poor and minorities. If you believe the Constitution affords the US the power to require mandatory service, where does the power end? If it can take two years from our lives, why not ten. Better yet, why does it not have the power to force us to spend our entire lives in mandatory service to the state government? Why is it that the liberals who claim to be concerned with civil liberties are so eager to impose mandatory service?

>Why is it that the liberals

>who claim to be concerned with civil liberties are so eager to

>impose mandatory service?

Merlin, your lack of comprehension is astounding. The only suggestion being made here by liberals is that those who advocate serving in the President's self made war should be the first ones to sign up for it. Inveitably, though, they run as far from the recruiters as quickly as possible.

In order to post in the Political Issues forum, all members are required to acknowledge that their post is in compliance with our Community Guidelines.  In addition, you acknowledge that it meets the following requirements: 

• No personal attacks: Attack the issue not the person
  • No hijacking: Stay on the subject of the thread 

• No hate speech or offensive terms/expressions

Posts that do not comply with the above requirements will be removed.  Multiple violations may result in a loss of access to this forum.