Canada - Relocation Question

Guest FirstPlace
This topic is 8299 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest FirstPlace

I am seriously thinking of relocating to Vancouver BC. I have been there several times and love the place. As a US citizen are there many barriers that anybody is aware of to relocate? Regarding work I am a "businessman." Due to my experience I would think I could secure employment fairly easily. I guess I am looking for any feedback, suggestions or whatever. Thanks guys.

The best bet is to contact the Canadian Consulate General that serves the area in which you live. They can provide basic info on immigration to Canada. Canada is easier to immigrate to than the U.S., and uses a more objective system to evaluate prospective immigrants, i.e., a point system based on your education, skills, knowledge of English/French, etc. However, like all countries, the rules can be somewhat complicated and must be followed meticulously. Also try finding and searching the website for the Canadian Embassy in Washington, D.C. and/or your local consulate. Most likely it will contain immigration information.

As a "businessman" with experience, it may be possible to immigrate more easily if you have a specific skill and a job offer from a company that needs your specific skill. You would still have to apply for immigration from within the U.S., I believe. Good luck!

Guest VanBCGuy

If you are in any sort of a hurry, through NAFTA you can get a work visa for a period of one year, that is easily renewable.

You need a letter from an employer, proof of a job skill (university degree usually works), passport, and $50, and know all the words to O Canada.

I lived in the US for three years this way.

As well, with the points system, if you have a skill in demand (like a nurse or doctor), you will be in like flint.

Just kidding about the anthem....

Guest cp8036

Or, if you have large amounts of cash (I think needs to be the millions); open a business; and hire people, immigration can be taken care of.

I think is how many of the Hong Kong Chinese came in mid 90's.

Guest JustANametoPlay

Aren't the words to O Canada:

O Canada!

You are North Of The US

Those dang Americans Don't know we aren't a State

Mumble Mumble Mumble

O Canada!

Owee Owee Owee Oh!~

<grin>

Guest FirstPlace

Hey just a quick note to let you guys know I appreciate the info. In fact, it has pointed me in the right direction and I have begun the process. So watch out Canada a US fag is headed your way :)

Guest FirstPlace

>We can always handle more!

>

>Where are you relocating from?

I am just south of Los Angeles in Orange County area.

Archived