shadow, what's the problem?

Guest jizzdepapi
This topic is 8357 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest jizzdepapi

shadow:

i hesitate to tell anyone what they should do (except maybe hire a papi) but why do u hesitate to tell people you are black? i would be proud and ready to fight off any asshole who had a problem with that.

just a thought.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pickwick

It's because he isn't black, of course. You have only to read his posts to see that he was brought up either outside this country or in a household in which English was not the language of everyday discourse. The locutions he uses are so different from those of English as it is spoken in this country that it should be obvious to anyone.

Guest jizzdepapi

ok, the question still stands.

shadow, why do you hesitate to tell people you are black (and according to pickwick: either brought up outside this country or in a household in which English was not the language of everyday discourse)?

Guest LAPrada

I, too, question whether or not Shadow is black. His posts to me show me he's not. I think he's just trying to stir up trouble.

I really think this person (Shadow) needs psychological help. His inane posts and lack of maturity show a much deeper rooted problem than meets the eye. His behavior is characteristic of someone who would go "Postal" in the future.

Shadow, if you are indeed black, then you need to be more open-minded towards posts by non-blacks. You are very close-minded and the Black Panther/Malcom X garb only isolates/segregrates the group more. I have friends from very diverse backgrounds... I doubt that you do.

The more I read your posts, I am beginning to question the poor grammar and incoherencies. Does anyone else think Shadow might be some 12 yr. old kid stirring up trouble... or just a troubled youth? Did the US Government start donating computers to mental hospitals? Please seek some help/treatment before you do more harm to yourself or others. I mean that sincerely.

Guest pickwick

>ok, the question still stands.

>

>shadow, why do you hesitate to

>tell people you are black

>(and according to pickwick: either

>brought up outside this country

>or in a household in

>which English was not the

>language of everyday discourse)?

Sorry if I was unclear. In the Billy Brandt thread shadow suggested that he is African-American (post #108). If by that he means a person of African ancestry born in this country and raised here by other such persons, that's not correct. The errors in his posts, such as confusing the comparative and superlative forms of adjectives and confusing simple verb tenses, are extremely common in people who have learned English as a second language, but rare in native speakers. He's not a native speaker.

>Sorry if I was unclear.

>In the Billy Brandt thread

>shadow suggested that he is

>African-American (post #108). If

>by that he means a

>person of African ancestry born

>in this country and raised

>here by other such persons,

>that's not correct. The

>errors in his posts, such

>as confusing the comparative and

>superlative forms of adjectives and

>confusing simple verb tenses, are

>extremely common in people who

>have learned English as a

>second language, but rare in

>native speakers. He's not

>a native speaker.

Perhaps. I might normally tend to agree with you on this point and some of Shadow's posts have me wonder, too. But I recently rode the Boston subway for a few minutes in the company of a dozen or so young black men and I was struck by how dialectical their speech seemed to me.

They understood each other clearly and they were speaking English. But their English was very difficult for me to understand and the dialect they were using at times seemed so far from standard English that it caused me to wonder if it could ever diverge into a separate language. Not only were the accents very hard for me to understand at times, but word usage and grammar were different than in standard English. I was especially struck by two things: the apparent lack of verb tenses and a simplification of the use of adjectives and adverbs, in a way that seemed to blur the distinctions between them.

It was clear that they were fluent in the language they were speaking and that they were communicating with each other perfectly. It was also clear the language they were speaking was English. But it wasn't the English I speak.

On the whole, it made me feel quite old.

Guest jizzdepapi

oh look what i started...

sorry, didn't mean to start a discussion between linguistics experts.

still have a question for shadow. can u guys move it to the big messy bottom thread? i'm sure there'll be plenty of interested posters to discuss ur comments over there.

thanks,

jizz

Guest pickwick

RE: oh look what i started...

We're not doing anything to prevent shadow from posting in this thread if he wants to do so. So far it doesn't look as though he does.

When you author a thread you're free to throw out any topic you like for discussion. But you don't get to tell others what to do with it.

Guest pickwick

>It was clear that they were

>fluent in the language they

>were speaking and that they

>were communicating with each other

>perfectly. It was also

>clear the language they were

>speaking was English. But

>it wasn't the English I

>speak.

>

I wasn't referring to dialects of American English but to the patterns that can be observed in the speech of people whose native tongue is not English. To those familiar with them, the distinctions are as obvious as the distinction between chalk and cheese.

>I wasn't referring to dialects of

>American English but to the

>patterns that can be observed

>in the speech of people

>whose native tongue is not

>English. To those familiar

>with them, the distinctions are

>as obvious as the distinction

>between chalk and cheese.

Yes, I understand. However, informal writing often follows speech patterns and, if that was true for young men on the train, I doubt I would have recognized their writing as the work of native English speakers. But your point is well-taken.

Hey, I went to the movies tonight to see Boys to Men, a collection of 4 short gay movies. The first one was really cute, and the boy in the movie, a 16 year old, was really hot, with a dazzling smile. The next flick was about two hunky guys who meet on the beach and have lots of sex while doing cocaine and ecstasy. You get to see a lot of their dicks.

The third movie would please all you guys who don't think people who have HIV should have sex. See, this one hunk screws the lights out of this other very hot hunk, with a beautiful cock. The, the first guy leaves, treating the second guy like used toilet paper. We sympathize with the second guy, and then he reaches under his bed to get his Crixivan.

The last movie is about two older guys who deal with one of them getting religion before dying. No nudity, but the priest is really beautiful.

So, hope everything is fine on Pickwick Farms. The movies are playing at the Quad in New York City.

Guest made4fun

you just dont know what you are talking about he made way more than 200 posts and more than 5 reviews his english in almost all his posts and reviews is normal native english with the normal ocassional mistaekes in grammer usage and speling like what is made by most native speakers and some of them are just typos not misteaks in using english and most of the posters on this board do the same thing. you are looking at 3 or 4 posts in the other discusion that this one came from and falsely generalizing from them you are takeing them to be representitive and they are not they are the exseption and they ar not foregners mistaeks they are weard misteaks.

why are they like that? well there could be a lot of reasons there are two that pop up right away. one he was obviusly >>very<< upset and emotianal when he was writing those and when you are like that you can't think strait or see strait or talk strait or write strait or type strait. i agree they have a whole lot more of that than you would expect but then there could be other reasons.

two there is such a thing as african american english its a reconized dialect of english and has subdialecs and its differant from standard english in a lot of ways including grammer and words and usage not just pronunciation. most blacks grow up hearing and using african american english especialy in the gheto and then they hear and can use standard english along side and if they want to join the main stream they make sure that they can use standard english too shadow is obviusly one that wanted to join the main stream. but when you get exsited differant language streams come out and it doesnt have to be african american what about all the people who are southern or some thing else and they usualy dont talk that way and they learned to talk standard so you dont hear it but when they are angry or exsited all of a sudden it comes out and you hear it.

and you obviusly dont know what misteaks are what you sed common in foriegners but rare in native speakers and rare doesnt mean never anyhow and dont go makeing pompus statements when you dont know what you ar talking about.

Guest made4fun

this is dumb what you sed is just wrong. he made way over 200 posts and reviews too and if you read them its obvius his english is all normal and native except a few posts in the billy brant mess where he obviusly wuz very upset and not thinking or writing clear. that happens to every body when they get so upset and emotianal i bet even to you. and then you use the silly claim that his english isnt native and make the laffable conclusion that therfor he isnt black. maybe he is or maybe he isnt i dont know but he said he is. your reasoning is just wrong. >>logical fallacy, mr. smarty pants.<< your premise 1 is false. your premise 2 is false too it is unstated and it is that all black people are brought up in this country and speaking native english. horendusly false. have you ever heard of africa? or other countries that have a black population? almost all european countries do now too. or black american hispanics? so even if his english isnt native..but it is..he could still be black and your conclusion that if he was brought up outside this country or not speaking english he isnt black just doesnt follow.

ar you gonna dis me now too caus i dont speak your queen english?

Guest made4fun

then you are not one of those familiar with them or you dont know the distinction between chalk and cheese caus the misteaks in his posts are not the misteaks like you find in foriegners they are weard and unsysstemmatic and they are like what you find when some one is under extream emotional stress.

dont go makeing pompus statements when you dont know what you are talking about.

Guest LAPrada

RE: Polly strikes again

I was wondering when/if Shadow would respond. I don't know why he used an alias "Made4U" or whatever name he used. His intentional misspellings doesn't change his poor rational thinking skills. His arguements bode no merit.

Shadow... please seek some help.

Guest pickwick

>Oh, wow! Skeptic/Polly/Regulation/Pickwick has another

>alias!

>

>This could be fun: trying

>to find them all... :-)

>

Tampa Yankee, I knew you were a bore but I didn't know you were a liar, until now. Stop telling lies about me.

Guest pickwick

>this is dumb what you sed is just wrong. he made way over 200 posts and reviews too and if you read them its obvius his english is all normal and native except a few posts in the billy brant mess where he obviusly wuz very upset and not thinking or writing clear. that happens to every body when they get so upset and emotianal i bet even to you. and then you use the silly claim that his english isnt native and make the laffable conclusion that therfor he isnt black.

As a matter of fact, there are some similarities between "his" posts and yours.

Guest Tampa Yankee

>Tampa Yankee, I knew you were

>a bore but I didn't

>know you were a liar,

>until now. Stop telling

>lies about me.

Pickwick,

I chose to stay out of this thread and its parent and sibling threads too, so I’m surprised to be dragged in by you at this late date -- all the more puzzling by the manner: your attack on me in response to a post by Boston Guy.

Pickwick, I was unaware that we had any issues between us, now or in the past... Why, out of the blue, do you see fit to slander me on top of an insult? Your very strong words indicate some deep issue you have with respect to ME for which I am totally at a loss -- much deeper than BG’s (not mine) comments about your relationship to others would seem to warrant. Would you be kind enough to explain? Maybe others can recall my transgressions against you and clue me in; if so I would appreciate having my memory refreshed here in this thread. If I’ve done something that needs apology please make me aware so that I may take corrective action.

Or... in the way you dragged me into this thread are you sewing the seed by implication that I am Boston Guy? If that is the intent then let me clear that up by going on record stating simply that I am not now nor ever have I been Boston Guy, in post or in person. I do not believe in the tactic of nondenial denials... I put my veracity on the line. But I am flattered you would think me BG... he embodies some traits I’d be very pleased to find in myself.

TY

Guest Konga

>I am not now

>nor ever have I been

>Boston Guy,

Try telling that to Merlin and Cassius.

Is this where everything gets emotional and someone starts saying

Damn you

DAM

DAM

DAM. Just kidding lighten up fellas we have to have better people to heckle then each other. Let's try biggots and con-artist and some of the dumb laws.

Guest pickwick

>Or... in the way you

>dragged me into this thread

>are you sewing the seed

>by implication that I am

>Boston Guy? If that

>is the intent then let

>me clear that up by

>going on record stating simply

>that I am not now

>nor ever have I been

>Boston Guy, in post or

>in person. I do

>not believe in the tactic

>of nondenial denials... I put

>my veracity on the line.

> But I am flattered

>you would think me BG...

>he embodies some traits I’d

>be very pleased to find

>in myself.

>

>TY

Besides a penchant for prolix posts that always seem to agree on every issue, "both" of you share one trait I have observed, you both like to accuse those who disagree with you of hiding under multiple screen names. "He" did it above and I have seen "you" do it on several occasions. But it seems you don't like the taste of your own medicine.

Archived