Warning....Slippery Slope Ahead

Boston Guy
This topic is 8357 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

>This is getting very unnerving. The

>following are some comments that

>three of your new moderators

>have posted in this very

>thread. Although I feel

>they have the same right

>to post their opinions as

>ANYONE else, we have to

>keep in mind that they

>have also been given authority

>that NO ONE ELSE has!

> Luckily, they haven't abused

>it. Yet. But

>their comments appear to indicate

>they are close to or

>contemplating it.

AIM,

Sorry to be blunt, but that's pure bullshit. None of has or is contemplating anything resembling censorship. We are, however, entitled to our own opinions about some of the stuff posted here -- and we have shared them with everybody, publicly.

You might be interested to know that I have a long history with boards such as this. Way back in the late 60's, I was one of several "sysops" for a board called The Gay Switchboard which we surreptitiously created on "The Source," the very first online service.

Since many clients used The Source for timeshare computing, users had access to the operating system and the BASIC programming language. Using these tools, we created our own message center and quickly attracted over 1000 members (about the same is this board).

Not surprisingly, the issues then were nearly identical to those we currently face 30 years later. Privacy. Anonymity. Freedom of speech. And, unfortunately, the disruptions and discomfort caused by a few online bullies.

Thirty years ago, I learned that censorship is the quickest way to strangle a board like this. And, I haven't forgotten that lesson.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for posting.

Unfortunately I fear that others will stop posting because everyone is so damn determined to have "Freedom of Expression" that they don't realize they'll destroy the community by being so free with expressions.

All I am advocating here is *inclusion*.

I do not have benefit of logatan's vast experience. I've only been involved in building (successful) online communities for about 20 years (vs. his 30).

If you honestly feel I advocate censorship, re-read my posts. I do not. I *do* advocate locking the "messy bottom" thread just because it's become an unwieldy download. The discussion will continue, but it should do so elsewhere and it always should have been elsewhere.

That's not censorship. It's organization and courtesy.

I'm checking out of this discussion and this message board. I'll continue to check the queue and pass messages right through, but I'll likely not be posting much since you object so much to my opinions. I'll become the invisible monitor. I wouldn't want to offend.

Freedom of Expression, in your world, doesn't include me I guess.

I'm the weakest link.

G'BYE

I agree with BG, deej -- don't go.

Here's my two cents. Now that you are "elevated" to moderator status, I can see how some might begin to read your posts differently. You have an authority, or at least a perceived authority, that other posters don't have. It's to be expected that somebody will bridle against your opinions now when they wouldn't have before.

Lately one of my favorite sites is FuckedCompany.com, where the latest casualties of the new economy are gleefully reported. Even if you're not interested in the subject matter, the message boards are instructive for anybody here concerned about community and a kinder, gentler site. I mean, a routine form of address there is "you dumb fuck," but rarely do people get their knickers in a twist over it. After the intitial shock it starts to get fun. And it helps put warnings about the dire state of this community in perspective.

http://www.fuckedcompany.com

I have no problem with you or anyone expressing their opinions. Matter of fact, the point of my post was the idea that EVERYBODY should be able to continue to express whatever opinions they have without moderators censoring (or contemplating censoring) those they might disagree with.

All I said was that I hoped that it stayed as expressing opinions and that it doesn't move to censorship. If you re-read my post, you'll see that was exactly what I said.

But lastly, if you wanna post, then post. If you don't, then don't. But ... Save the drama for your mama!

:-)

AIM (and others) I am sorry that I caused such a ruckus by suggesting that the thread had done what it was going to do and should be clipped before it drew others into less kind and gentle ways of being. I did say that everyone should rejoice that I am not a moderator. However, even I would have allowed the first half dozen posts on both sides of the argument. My experience with running things is not with message boards, it's with meetings, and when the argument gets circular there, we get someone to call the question. I have no beef with anyone getting to have his say, so long as he doesn't start repeating himself. Roberts Rules, I believe, calls for everyone who wishes to speak on a subject being allowed to speak twice.

If my comment causes Deej to shut up, then I have done damage to the boards, and I am sorry.

Archived