SI This week and the Toughest Out

Guest DVS
This topic is 8370 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In this weeks edition of SI (Sports Ilustrated) there is an article on page 26 about homosexuality in baseball. It references an article in Out Magazine where editor-in-chief Brendan Lemon wrote that he was having an affair with a pro baseball player from a major east coast franchise.

If you care to read the article it can be read online at

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/scorecard/news/2001/05/22/sc/

Does anyone know who this baseball player is? Also check out Billy Bean an ex-big league outfielder who came out in 1999 before retiring. Yummy Yummy! I think I am planning a trip to Billy's restaurant in FL. Here is the link with pics, enjoy I did.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports_day/backpage/1031backpage.htm

Boy I want to play baseball too! }> There is something to be said about a big bat and nices balls!

This story has been batted around <nyuk, nyuk> on gossip forums for weeks. It even made Leno's monologue.

Billy Masters has said he thinks the original editorial is an outright lie, and others have started throwing names in the mix of possibilities. (If you read the editorial, it's an East Coast pitcher, which narrows down the possibilities some.)

I am ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN there are gays in MLB. We're everywhere, after all. But MLB is SO homophobic and scandal-shy, particularly since the strike, that being out and having a baseball career isn't likely right now. They still want to be known as "the boys of summer" -- no matter who the boys play with off the field.

Guest alanm

A number of years ago similiar rumors centered on certain well known players from the NY Mets. All of those players have now retired; none has come out. Even after a star or near-star's career is over, there are still card shows and other status events. Sports and society still has a long, long way to go in this area. If the rumors were true, it would take great, great

courage for even one of the ex-Mets to come out.

Guest fedssocr

Actually there is no allusion to what position he plays, so we don't know that it's a pitcher. Most of the speculation has been about filed players.

Guest maturemiami

One of the fascinations about this story is that the editor of Out magazine is dating a guy who isn't.

>Actually there is no allusion to

>what position he plays, so

>we don't know that it's

>a pitcher. Most of the

>speculation has been about filed

>players.

The editorial being discussed in this article talks about the player's job being to "pitch and hit" to the best of his abilities.

I'd say that does, indeed, allude to a pitcher. And since he mentions hitting as well it probably points to the NL since the AL uses designated hitters. ;-)

But, as I said, several trusted sources have suggested it's a complete hoax and cheap publicity ploy anyway.

Archived