Gay and Lesbian Artists

Karl-G
This topic is 8365 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am trying to compile a list of names of major gay and lesbian artists and location of their works, from the Renaissance to today. Could you help and send me any names you know? Either here or directly to jeremy_785@yahoo.com

Do any of the following artists fall into these categories, do you know? Laurie Anderson, Francesco Clemente, Bruce Nauman, Aubrey Beardsley, Harmony Hammond, Louise Bourgeois, Jasper Johns, Chris Burden, Robert Indiana. If any of these are definitely NOT, I would also appreciate knowing.

Thanks.

Of the artists whom you list, only Aubrey Beardsley and Harmony Hammond belong to Our Club. For basic stuff, here's a basic bibliography:

1. Barkan, Leonard, Transuming passion : Ganymede and the erotics of humanism . Stanford, Calif. : Stanford University Press, 1991.

2. Cooper, Emmanuel. The sexual perspective : homosexuality and art in the last 100 years in the West. 2nd ed.

London ; New York : Routledge, 1994.

3. Ellenzweig, Allen., The homoerotic photograph : male images from Durieu/Delacroix to Mapplethorpe. New York : Columbia University Press, c1992.

4. Gay and lesbian studies in art history. Whitney Davis, editor. New York : Haworth Press, c1994.

5. Hammill, Graham L., Sexuality and form : Caravaggio, Marlowe, and Bacon. Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 2000.

6. Homosexuality and homosexuals in the arts. edited with introductions by Wayne R. Dynes and Stephen Donaldson.

New York : Garland, 1992.

7. The passionate camera : photography and bodies of desire. edited by Deborah Bright. London ; New York : Routledge, 1998.

8. Saslow, James M., Ganymede in the Renaissance : homosexuality in art and society. New Haven : Yale University Press, c1986.

9. Saslow, James M., Pictures and passions : a history of homosexuality in the visual arts. New York : Viking, c1999.

10. Sternweiler, Andreas., Die Lust der G{232}otter : Homosexualit{232}at in der italienischen Kunst von Donatello zu Caravaggio. Berlin : Verlag rosa Winkel, c1993.

11. Weinberg, Jonathan, Speaking for vice : homosexuality in the art of Charles Demuth, Marsden Hartley, and the first American avant-garde. New Haven : Yale University Press, c1993.

Hope this helps!

Wonderful work, as always, Will. I hope that this becomes a companion thread to our literary ramblings, over under "Educating Myself"

I know that there are contemporary gay artists who show/sell their work over the internet. In fact, I used to have, but seem to have lost, the website address for an etalier in London which specializes in male nudes by male painters. Does anyone have a favorite address or three they would like to recommend?

Archived