Green Lantern #137 - a comic book with a message

BewareofNick
This topic is 8381 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have been a comic collector all my life, but I have never been so proud of the medium as I am with the latest issue of Green Lantern. In it, the lead character (Green Lantern, aka Kyle Rayner) is a cartoonist. He has a 16 year old assistant named Terry. Terry has had a MAD crush on Kyle since day one. In this issue, Terry comes out to Kyle in a fit of jealous anger (Kyle had just proposed to his girlfriend). What follows though is a very warm and loving conversation between Kyle and Terry where Kyle let's Terry know that he is loved and accepted, even if Kyle can't return the same kind of love. My words here can't express the feeling I got reading this issue. You should pick it up for yourself.

By the way, the regular writer on Green Lantern (who wrote this issue) is Judd Winnick who starred on "The Real World - San Francisco". One of his roommates was the late great Pedro Zamora. Judd won a writing award for his comic Pedro and Me, and the message of love and acceptance for gay people that Judd is spreading must surely be making Pedro smile....

http://www.dccomics.com/directcurrents/comics/Apr04/covers/down/dgl137.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-04-01 AT 10:50PM (EST)[p]Was Judd Winnic the one who started dating the Asian woman who was pre-med at the time? He seemed very nice. Pedro was a wonderful man. I wouldn't have pissed on Puck if he was on fire.

The Advocate did a story about a year ago on gay figures in comics. As usual the article was crap, but it was nice to see comics mentioned in a gay pub at least.

In my experience Marvel has been a bit more willing to introduce gay characters, and I am glad to see DC is catching up. Now if only Goku would drop ChiChi and give into his real feelings for Vegeta.

Thanks for the update.

http://www.rodhagen.com

I've always been somewhat curious about Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street but was too shy to ask.

Since Jerry Falwell helped us out with the Teletubbies perhaps he could come out with a definitive list.

EWC

Guest ibimusbtms

The Advocate did a side bar several months ago about gay comics, and gay comics online. Does anyone know the web addresses for any of these? Thanks.

Due to a lot of self sacrifice on the part of several characters, the Marvel Universe has seen the cure for the Legacy Virus, which was nearly their mutant-centric version of AIDS. The ending there was a little too pat in one way. Even though a magnicent, sensitive artist of a super being gave his life up for the final adjustment and distribution of the cure, it would have been much more interesting if that had been necessary and then they also had to go through the years long process which eradicating a disease, even with a cure, would surely entail. Obviously, the new editor in chief and his people no longer wanted the disease around, but there must have been many young people who could see or at least sense-without-understanding the parrallell with AIDS who now have seen an instantaneous cure. What will that mean, subliminally, to their perceptions of the end of the pandemic and safe sex and ...

>I've gotta get this comic

Rod,

You're essentially correct that marvel was the first to deal with homosexuality, through their character in Alpha Flight, Northstar. After that, however, they shied away from the subject. DC, on the other hand has introduced several gay characters: the Pied Piper in the Flash, a reformed villain; Sigrid Nansen, aka Ice Maiden, who was a member of the Justice League America; Hugh Dawkins, aka the Tasmanian Devil, member of Justice League Europe. The writers of JSA plan to reveal that Obsidian, son of the Golden Age Green Lantern, is gay. Another Golden AGe character, Dr. Mid-Nite was rumoured to have been gay.

Yes, Judd did indeed get together with Pam.

And please, buy the book and buy another for a friend.

Guest WetDream

For all of you Judd W. fans: Be sure to check out the sections about him in the bestseller "A Heartwarming Work of Staggering Genius." Quite interesting.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest shadow

I grabbed this comic about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I wish that everyone could get this type of support coming out.

>I grabbed this comic about 2

>or 3 weeks ago. I

>wish that everyone could get

>this type of support coming

>out.

I've tried to find other copies of this issue, but it appears to have sold out from every comic shoppe I've been to. Talk about good news!

Northstar is back as one of the new replacement X-Men in one of the two main X-Men comic, along with a new guy who has see through skin and they haven't told us what his power is unless its making a villain stop and go "ewww" long enough for one of the other good guys to hit him. and there was a new young ex-mafiosi mutant with a homophobic side that Northstar beat the snot out of first time they met.

>Northstar is back as one of

>the new replacement X-Men in

>one of the two main

>X-Men comic, along with a

>new guy who has see

>through skin and they haven't

>told us what his power

>is unless its making a

>villain stop and go "ewww"

>long enough for one of

>the other good guys to

>hit him. and there was

>a new young ex-mafiosi mutant

>with a homophobic side that

>Northstar beat the snot out

>of first time they met.

>

Yes, it was nice seeing Jean-Paul in action again, even if it is only temporary. They are "revamping" X-Men, and the team to watch is Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely: Morrison of course brought the JLA back to greatness and Quitely recently completed a run on the Authority. If the work these gentlemen did on those books is any indication, well, X-Men will be hotter than ever!

>>indication, well, X-Men will be

>>hotter than ever!

>

>"Age of Apocalypse" was as hot

>as X-Men or any comic

>could ever get (I suspect).

> That series blew me

>away.

>

>http://www.rodhagen.com

I'll have to agree that Age of Apocalypse was definitely the highest point in X Men since the Dark Phoenix Saga, but Morrison and Quitely will blow that away..I virtually guarantee it :o)

Guest ibimusbtms

are any of these comics on line; or, are there any other comics that can be found online? If so, what is the website. Thanks

>have to agree that Age

>of Apocalypse was definitely the

>highest point in X Men

>since the Dark Phoenix Saga,

>but Morrison and Quitely will

>blow that away..I virtually guarantee

>it :o)

I would love to read the Dark Phoenix Saga. I remember my college friends who prefered comics to text books praising it. Do you have a reprinted "book" I could borrow/buy? I know that there's now way I could hope you'd lend me the originals. leandream1@rodhagen.com

http://www.rodhagen.com

>>have to agree that Age

>>of Apocalypse was definitely the

>>highest point in X Men

>>since the Dark Phoenix Saga,

>>but Morrison and Quitely will

>>blow that away..I virtually guarantee

>>it :o)

>

>I would love to read the

>Dark Phoenix Saga. I

>remember my college friends who

>prefered comics to text books

>praising it. Do you

>have a reprinted "book" I

>could borrow/buy? I know

>that there's now way I

>could hope you'd lend me

>the originals.

The originals are tucked away somewhere even Anthony Holloway won't find them! Let me see what i can do as far as a reprint goes...

>leandream1@rodhagen.com

Guest Gentle Dude

>I would love to read the

>Dark Phoenix Saga. I

>remember my college friends who

>prefered comics to text books

>praising it. Do you

>have a reprinted "book" I

>could borrow/buy? I know

>that there's now way I

>could hope you'd lend me

>the originals.

>leandream1@rodhagen.com

I'm not an avid comic book reader, but my late brother was and left 20 big boxes of comic books in my garage. It may take me a couple of days to go through the boxes but if I find them, I'll lend you the originals.

GD

Guest Joey Ciccone

>Morrison of course brought the JLA back to greatness......I'll have to agree that Age of Apocalypse was definitely the highest point in X Men since the Dark Phoenix Saga, but Morrison and Quitely will blow that away..I virtually guarantee it<

Grant Morrison is a genius. His work on Animal Man (a DC rag) helped take the medium of comics from a percieved expendability to indispensible literature. I had always been a fan, ever since reading his work in the British 2000 AD, but one evening I read a bound collection of his work on animal man while dosed on LSD (something I've rarely ever done, haven't since, and this was a long time ago for any finger waggers), and I'll swear I convened with the full pantheon of animal gods that night. Anyone read Frank Millers' Dark Night Returns? Kevin O'niel, Simon Bisley, Miller, Morrison, Neil Gamon, all these guys cut their teeth in the British weeklies working on stuff like Judge Dread and Stontium Dog. Look for the back issues of 2000 AD if you want to check out their budding greatness.

- jc -

Guest Gentle Dude

>>I would love to read the

>>Dark Phoenix Saga. I

>>remember my college friends who

>>prefered comics to text books

>>praising it. Do you

>>have a reprinted "book" I

>>could borrow/buy? I know

>>that there's now way I

>>could hope you'd lend me

>>the originals.

>>leandream1@rodhagen.com

>>http://www.rodhagen.com

>

I found X-men # 125, The Dramatic Return of Phoenix through #137, The Phoenix Must Die, but missing # 128, 133, 134. Still have to go through a few more boxes. If you're still interested, send me a message in my in-box.>

>GD

>>Morrison of course brought the JLA back to greatness......I'll have to agree that Age of Apocalypse was definitely the highest point in X Men since the Dark Phoenix Saga, but Morrison and Quitely will blow that away..I virtually guarantee it<

>

>Grant Morrison is a genius. His

>work on Animal Man (a

>DC rag) helped take the

>medium of comics from a

>percieved expendability to indispensible literature.

>I had always been a

>fan, ever since reading his

>work in the British 2000

>AD, but one evening I

>read a bound collection of

>his work on animal man

>while dosed on LSD (something

>I've rarely ever done, haven't

>since, and this was a

>long time ago for any

>finger waggers), and I'll swear

>I convened with the full

>pantheon of animal gods that

>night. Anyone read Frank Millers'

>Dark Night Returns? Kevin O'niel,

>Simon Bisley, Miller, Morrison, Neil

>Gamon, all these guys cut

>their teeth in the British

>weeklies working on stuff like

>Judge Dread and Stontium Dog.

>Look for the back issues

>of 2000 AD if you

>want to check out their

>budding greatness.

>

>- jc -

Animal Man was definitely a Morrison classic and definitely meant to be read while stoned.

Speaking of Frank Miller: He is currently at work on Dark Knight 2. Wonder Woman will play a more prominent role in this tale and Superman's role as a government lackey will be examined.

Guest Gentle Dude

Rod,

Finally found the books on the X-men, The Phoenix Rising and The Dark Phoenix Saga. If you still want to borrow them...say when. :)

GD

Archived