Hepatitus Vaccinations -- One from Column A None From Column B

Guest Tampa Yankee
This topic is 8465 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Tampa Yankee

On the advice of a friend I finally did what I had needed to do but had put off until a more convenient time -- vaccination for Hepatitus A and B. So on my next (recent) visit to my doctor for the standard periodic STD testing, among other things, I asked for the hepatitus vaccinations. He told me that before I undertake vaccination I should be tested for immunity -- no reason to be vaccinated for something to which I already was immune. He asked why I thought I was at risk, so I told him ‘lifestyle’. He said it was a good thing I mentioned that because it influenced the testing required (at least in his office) -- apparently the possibility of being a HEP B carrier while being immune to it myself. Anyway, it turned out that I was immune to B and NOT a carrier but that I was not immune to A -- so my vaccination to Hep A has been scheduled. (I had tested negative for Hep C on my previous visit.)

Why do I mention this?? I thought it my be valuable information to some out there who might not get vaccinated at all or might not get the appropriate testing implicated for ‘lifestyle’.

Who is at risk, well among others in the population at large -- if your gay and you play then you are at risk, more so if anal is on your card and even more at risk if rimming is on the card.

Play safe in all ways and stay healthy.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tampa Yankee

To follow-up on this...

The Hep A vaccination was a piece of cake... really small needle in the shoulder and no side effects. I do need to follow-up with another shot in 6 months, which is the one that really bestows the long term immunity -- 5-7 years, conservatively. Then I do it again.

Archived