Showtime Copout

Guest JustANametoPlay
This topic is 8499 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest JustANametoPlay

I wondered why Queer as Folk was not on this past Sunday. When I spoke to one of my friends that works there last night, I was told that they chose not to run it this past weekend as most cable systems were doing one of those free preview weekends where all subscrbers could see the station for the weekend (and of course hopefully subscribe).

Apparently showing The Thomas Crown affair with hetro nudity was OK though.

Just venting.

Guest Joey Ciccone

Perhaps they copped-out less because of gay content, and more because of lousy gay content. If that show is meant to be a 'realistic slice of gay life' as someone in the other Folk thread suggests, then the reality pie it was cut from should have been left in the oven a little longer. I'm not saying the show sucks. It's filling is half-baked, but it's still alot of fun in a Twin Peaks kind of way. On that level, it's better than most of the other network tripe we're forced to sift through and Showtime should not be vilified for it's presentation. But if they think they're holding a mirror up to gay life so America may gaze upon it's reflection, then they SHOULD be vilified for using a fun-house mirror without telling America! If John Goodman were in the cast we'd have had a better idea of what we were in for and would be less disappointed now. But mirror images are one dimensional anyway. You'd need a prism to capture the many facets of ANY lifestyle, not just gay.

Lots of folks are very excited and feel that the show has broken all kinds of new ground here in the states. Personally, I don't think it breaks any more ground than Boys in the Band did back in 1970, with the exception of replacing the paranoia and self-loathing with promiscuity and angst.

I also think it would be poor judgement to make the cast of Queer as Folk the new standard bearers for gay lifestyles. At least not as their characters stand now. But with further development I'm sure some day they'll all make fine poster boys. In the meantime we should take it for what it's worth: a weekly television program.

joey ciccone

http://www.manicpress.com/joey

Guest Travis69

They also took off a lot of their late night heterosexual "mature audience" shows during this period. I will still applaud them for showing the Queer as Folk show to begin with.

Guest Alexander

Pierce Brosnan, to me, is a lousy choice for heterosexual sex act. His enunciation just sounds like a fake Brit, and some radars here sense what they suspect he is.

>But if they

>think they're holding a mirror

>up to gay life so

>America may gaze upon it's

>reflection, then they SHOULD be

>vilified for using a fun-house

>mirror without telling America!

Drugs, dancing, LOTS of McSex...looks like every gay ghetto I've visited.

We may not like it, but this is how most gay, urban, 20-somethings behave (but it would have been nice to keep it a secret a little bit longer, I agree).

http://www.rodhagen.com

Guest LG320126

Give it a break already! It is indeed new to the viewing public and in that context is on the cutting edge. I think it can, if successful, open the doors to better gay programming and to some extent let the heterosexual populace see that there is more to the gay world than visions of sugarplums dancing in their heads.

But if they

>think they're holding a mirror

>up to gay life so

>America may gaze upon it's

>reflection, then they SHOULD be

>vilified for using a fun-house

>mirror without telling America!

Have you not noticed the disclaimer they put at the beginning of each episode saying that is't not meant to reflect what gay life is typicall life, that it's just representing the lives of these gay men. Please give them a break, and be glad that they're showing this. Those guys are NOTHING like me, yet I enjoy watching the show.

Archived