aspen gay ski week

Guest PAUL
This topic is 8491 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I would appreciate any information about the ski week. Are there any gay bed & breakfast or hotels in aspen? what is the nitelife like?

are there any gay bars in town?

are there apre ski parties that cater to gays?

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned from a week in Aspen. It is not a very gay friendly town. There are no gay bars as such. The only place listed on Cruising for Sex is the Aspen Spa, although I didn't find it particularly cruisy. I'd be very careful. The locals are hostile. (Remember, it was Aspen that passed the ordinance a few years ago prohibiting anti-gay discrimination laws.) I heard some grumblings about the upcoming festivities from some of the employees in my hotel and at various restaurants. Too bad, really. Lots of very good looking, young, healthy men.

The bar at the Little Nell seems to attract a more sophisticated crowd. Rustique has the best food. Say away from Annie's. A real blue collar, local crowd.

Guest jackboy51

Aspen never passed an ordinance banning anti-gay discrimination laws, in fact it was one of the first places in the nation to pass a city ordinance that included gays in their discrimination laws...the State of Colorado passed Ammendment 2 which would have banned anti-gay discrimination laws (etc.), but it was overturned with a great deal of hard work by Colorado's gay activitists (and with a lot of money raised during Aspen Gay Ski Week) in the US Supreme Court. Sorry you had a bad time in Aspen, I always thought that the wait staff at Annies' looked forward to the Gay Ski Week because of all the great tips they got that week.

Guest Kenneth

(Remember, it was Aspen that passed the ordinance a

few years ago prohibiting anti-gay discrimination laws.)

This is a false statement. It was just the opposite. Aspen was one of a very few (2 or 3, I think) that passed an ordinance supporting gays. I attended Gay Ski Weeks 5 years in a row, in the early 90s....have not been there recently. When I was there, I found Aspen to be very friendly towards gays. I even attended bars where men dancing together was not only tolerated but was encouraged. There are hundreds, if not thousands now who attend Gay Ski Week and the organizers have a whole schedule of events where it is easy to meet other gays, attend nightly apres ski parties, they designate a daily "ski area" to ski and a daily "lunch place". If you go with friends, you'll have a very good time. If you go alone and are not adverse to talking to strangers, you won't be alone for very long....unless you want to be. I don't know about gay B & Bs or hotels but during Gay Ski Week, ALL HOTELS AND B & Bs are gay. They have an official Web Site which should be helpful to you.....sorry, don't have address.

• 2 weeks later...

I stand corrected. As I thought back on it (prompted by people who obviously know more than me), I do remember that it was passed state-wide, not by the town of Aspen. My apologies to Aspenites (if that's what you call people from Aspen). Maybe I was just unlucky, or I just happened to encounter the few bigots on the week before they were forced to keep their mouths shut. In any event, it's very encouraging to know Aspen is accomodating. Next year, I'll just plan my vacation a little better.

Archived