Updated Stats

RadioRob
This topic is 805 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

From time to time (as I find a spare moment), I like sharing some of the statistics I have visibility to regarding the site.  By looking at how people use the site, I can make better and more informed decisions as I look to make changes and try to improve our user experiencel.

Below are some stats for the site for last quarter (Oct-21 to Dec-21):

• New Site Registrations: 429
    • Spam Registrations Blocked: 1178
    • Started Registration But Never Finished: 94
  • New Site Content:
    • 1731 unique topics and 39,626 posts were created during Q4.  
    • The Deli had the lion share of new topics whereas the Legacy Gallery had the majority of post replies.  (Any surprise there?!)
    • December was busiest month with 602 topics and 13,692 posts created.  
      • This also includes the Political Issues being closed for the second half of December.
    • 3,194 Private Messages sent
    • 101,954 reactions given
      • Likes represented 74% of all reactions given, followed by Applause at 15% and Haha at 5%
      • @beachboygave the most reactions and @whipped guyreceived the most reactions.  
    • 24,908 emails sent to members
      • 55% of all emails sent are notifications of new Private Messages.  This is followed by "New Content Notifications" at 21%.
      • 72% of all emails sent are actually opened by members.
      • 23% of the opened emails are clicked on by members.
  • Site Traffic
    • 215,710 unique users saw our site last quarter.  
    • 442.5K sessions per user (viewing on average 8 pages per visit).
    • 3.6M page views over the quarter
    • Only 29% of all visits were from someone logged into the site.  (People peek at us 3x more than they post about us!)
      Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 2.29.32 AM.png
    • 14% of all site visits involved a search.  
      • The most searched phrases (in order): Rainer, Chicago, Dallas, bigboyjoey, Atlanta, Boston, Vegas, milan_twink
      • If you searched for something, you refined your results 30% of the time.  (Meaning a 2nd/3rd search immediate after your first.)
  • Site Demographics (per Google Analytics)
    • 73% of all users can be attributed as male 
    • Age Breakdown:
      • 23% Over 65
      • 41% 55-64
      • 19% 45-54
      • 11% 25-34
      • 6% Under 25
    • Location Breakdown:
      • 91% United States
        • 13% New York
        • 5% Los Angeles
        • 3% Chicago
        • 3% Washington, DC
        • 2% San Francisco
      • 2% Canada
      • 2% United Kingom
      • (All other locations represented under 1%)
    • Mobile Usage
      • 57% Mobile devices
      • 39% Desktop devices
      • 4% Tablet devices
      • iPhones represent 70% of all mobile traffic (iPads 4%)
      • Android represents 26% of all mobile traffic.  (No single Android device represents more than 0.6% of traffic)
    • Web Browsers
      • 51% Safari (Not surprising given our high number of iOS users and Mac users)
      • 39% Chrome
      • 4% Edge
      • 3% Firefox
      • 1% Opera
    • Cross Device Usage (Users accessing the site across different devices)
      • Desktop Only 38%

• Mobile Only 35.%

• Desktop -> Mobile 19.97%

• Tablet Only 3%

• Desktop -> Tablet 2%

• Desktop -> Mobile -> Tablet 2%

• Mobile -> Tablet 1%

to expand on Charlie's note a bit, yes, I get email notifications that I have a PM at the forum....sometimes I'll open that email (maybe just to see who wrote to me), but I often wait until I go to the forum later because it'll be easier there to read and respond directly to the PM.....

Edited by azdr0710

Yup.  I'm not saying there is anything wrong with not opening the email or clicking a link.  It's no skin off my back either way.  It's simply something to understand.

Knowing that a majority of all emails are PM notifications, I need to make sure the notification template is as optimized as possible.  Knowing that over 50% view their email from a web interface means I have to take that into account when I setup security policies so that I don't accidentally block webmail clients.  

I'm not trying to make ya'll change doing anything.  I just thought ya'll might like seeing some of the things I can and do pay attention to.  In some cases, it might help you understand some of the choices I make when it comes to design.  :) 

4 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

to expand on Charlie's note a bit, yes, I get email notifications that I have a PM at the forum....sometimes I'll open that email (maybe just to see who wrote to me), but I often wait until I go to the forum later because it'll be easier there to read and respond directly to the PM.....

I'm the opposite in a way, I read PMs first where I first see them be that in my e-mail (Outlook) or in the forum. Either way I will usually open the e-mail if only so it doesn't show up as unread in my trash folder. A couple of days ago I was using wi-fi that blocked the forum (my recollection from a previous time, not actually checked this time) and was able to read the text of the PM in the mail item. I replied later.

On 1/22/2022 at 2:57 AM, RadioRob said:

From time to time (as I find a spare moment), I like sharing some of the statistics I have visibility to regarding the site.  By looking at how people use the site, I can make better and more informed decisions as I look to make changes and try to improve our user experiencel.

Below are some stats for the site for last quarter (Oct-21 to Dec-21):

• New Site Registrations: 429
    • Spam Registrations Blocked: 1178
    • Started Registration But Never Finished: 94
  • New Site Content:
    • 1731 unique topics and 39,626 posts were created during Q4.  
    • The Deli had the lion share of new topics whereas the Legacy Gallery had the majority of post replies.  (Any surprise there?!)
    • December was busiest month with 602 topics and 13,692 posts created.  
      • This also includes the Political Issues being closed for the second half of December.
    • 3,194 Private Messages sent
    • 101,954 reactions given
      • Likes represented 74% of all reactions given, followed by Applause at 15% and Haha at 5%
      • @beachboygave the most reactions and @whipped guyreceived the most reactions.  
    • 24,908 emails sent to members
      • 55% of all emails sent are notifications of new Private Messages.  This is followed by "New Content Notifications" at 21%.
      • 72% of all emails sent are actually opened by members.
      • 23% of the opened emails are clicked on by members.
  • Site Traffic
    • 215,710 unique users saw our site last quarter.  
    • 442.5K sessions per user (viewing on average 8 pages per visit).
    • 3.6M page views over the quarter
    • Only 29% of all visits were from someone logged into the site.  (People peek at us 3x more than they post about us!)
      Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 2.29.32 AM.png
    • 14% of all site visits involved a search.  
      • The most searched phrases (in order): Rainer, Chicago, Dallas, bigboyjoey, Atlanta, Boston, Vegas, milan_twink
      • If you searched for something, you refined your results 30% of the time.  (Meaning a 2nd/3rd search immediate after your first.)
  • Site Demographics (per Google Analytics)
    • 73% of all users can be attributed as male 
    • Age Breakdown:
      • 23% Over 65
      • 41% 55-64
      • 19% 45-54
      • 11% 25-34
      • 6% Under 25
    • Location Breakdown:
      • 91% United States
        • 13% New York
        • 5% Los Angeles
        • 3% Chicago
        • 3% Washington, DC
        • 2% San Francisco
      • 2% Canada
      • 2% United Kingom
      • (All other locations represented under 1%)
    • Mobile Usage
      • 57% Mobile devices
      • 39% Desktop devices
      • 4% Tablet devices
      • iPhones represent 70% of all mobile traffic (iPads 4%)
      • Android represents 26% of all mobile traffic.  (No single Android device represents more than 0.6% of traffic)
    • Web Browsers
      • 51% Safari (Not surprising given our high number of iOS users and Mac users)
      • 39% Chrome
      • 4% Edge
      • 3% Firefox
      • 1% Opera
    • Cross Device Usage (Users accessing the site across different devices)
      • Desktop Only 38%

• Mobile Only 35.%

• Desktop -> Mobile 19.97%

• Tablet Only 3%

• Desktop -> Tablet 2%

• Desktop -> Mobile -> Tablet 2%

• Mobile -> Tablet 1%

Interesting stats.  Surprised only 4% Microsoft browser.  Curious as to the distribution of users by State. 

Just now, MasssageGuy said:

Interesting stats.  Surprised only 4% Microsoft browser.  Curious as to the distribution of users by State. 

Google Analytics does not offer a State based location breakdown.  I can filter to the country or to the city.  

In looking at the CITY breakdown for the past 7 days only for those members actually logged in with a valid username/password (filtering out all of the guest traffic)...  below is the location of logged in people per city:

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 10.47.15 PM.png

9 minutes ago, RadioRob said:

Google Analytics does not offer a State based location breakdown.  I can filter to the country or to the city.  

In looking at the CITY breakdown for the past 7 days only for those members actually logged in with a valid username/password (filtering out all of the guest traffic)...  below is the location of logged in people per city:

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 10.47.15 PM.png

Would/could the city/state numbers be altered by browsers logging into the site through VPN applications?

Yes, it could. Now… it would have to be more than just to the “site”.  If someone is running all traffic through a VPN, we would only see the VPN endpoint. We could not see where it’s ultimately proxies to. 

If they are only running traffic to our site though a VPN, the Google Analytics JavaScript is called from Google’s server and therefore not be subject to just a URL target match. 

Something you’re trying to hide from me?!? 🤣

15 hours ago, RadioRob said:

Yes, it could. Now… it would have to be more than just to the “site”.  If someone is running all traffic through a VPN, we would only see the VPN endpoint. We could not see where it’s ultimately proxies to. 

If they are only running traffic to our site though a VPN, the Google Analytics JavaScript is called from Google’s server and therefore not be subject to just a URL target match. 

Something you’re trying to hide from me?!? 🤣

Top 30 Knotts GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Well, assuming that list of top search terms was in order, I notice the 5 cities that appear there also show up in identical  order on the geo list.  So really the question is what those 5 cities have in common, that the others don't:

IN COMMON: Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, Boston, Vegas

BUT DIFFERENT FROM: NYC, LA, SF, DC, Long Beach, Philly

5 hours ago, Golem said:

Well, assuming that list of top search terms was in order, I notice the 5 cities that appear there also show up in identical  order on the geo list.  So really the question is what those 5 cities have in common, that the others don't:

IN COMMON: Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, Boston, Vegas

BUT DIFFERENT FROM: NYC, LA, SF, DC, Long Beach, Philly

Yes, they were in order. This is stuff I look at as well. There are two common scenarios. 

- Logged in users vs guests. Logged in users (members) are more likely to use search. Their location profile can be a bit different than the overall site population. 
- This also showcases a bit what locations have more travel hires vs local hires. Seeing a high search in a region that does not also have a high user population there can potentially be attributed to people searching for providers not in their local market. 

On 1/24/2022 at 9:49 PM, Lucky said:

Are there stats available to see who spends the most time online here? I can kind of guess, but..

I spend a lot of time here, but not with PMs 

And the members who post a lot in the Gallary, of course, are way ahead in the number of points. That is why @marylander1940 is so far in the lead. Pay attention.

Edited by WilliamM

This topic is 805 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.