Getting naked in gym’s lockers?!

Kareem_nyc

I also think it has a lot to do with the pressure to look good and be compared to the muscular guys we now see everywhere. I was in high school in the early 90s and was probably part of the generation that moved away from gang showers or showering in public.

I do think, however, we need to keep in mind what I notice on the LPSG board, which is that for every post bemoaning ridiculous modesty in locker rooms, there's a post about hot guys and dick-watching in the locker room. And how many hidden camera videos have you seen online? I understand why people's comfort level bring naked in the locker room has dropped over the decades.

As I've gotten older, I have grown more comfortable with it. I have a horrible body, but I just change quickly and hope no one notices. I usually put on my shirt, then drop my towel and put on my underwear. I don't go to the gym but sometimes find myself at water parks or pools. I remember the day I stopped worrying about it. I was at a water park, and they had a fairly unpleasant changing area. There was a long line waiting to get to the private changing rooms (which were the gross cement kind). I didn't want to wait and utilized the open space also reserved for changing. My friend was so uncomfortable, he didn't change at all and wore wet shorts in the car.

Now, the few times I've been to sex parties (out of loneliness when I moved to a new city, never to actually participate), I would walk around with just a short-sleeve buttoned-down shirt that was unbuttoned. It was as a courtesy to people who didn't want to see my body but not so covered I felt out of place or disrespectful to the many naked guys. 

Has it ever occurred to anyone that one of the main reason why some guys cover their private areas with towels, is because they know that people are staring and oogling at their dicks and asses? 

I find it strange that someone’s personal choice of nudity (or lack there of) would bother someone else. 

Let’s be real here, some of you are just annoyed that these guys won’t just drop the towel and let you get your jollies by stating at their goods. 

To add to that creepiness, for at least the past decade, there has been tons of “spy” videos where guys are secretly filmed naked in locker rooms. When I see a creep in the locker room, lingering and playing with his phone, I keep on my towel too. 

55 minutes ago, Monarchy79 said:

I find it strange that someone’s personal choice of nudity (or lack there of) would bother someone else. 

Let’s be real here, some of you are just annoyed that these guys won’t just drop the towel and let you get your jollies by stating at their goods. 

In my case, it is the guys that prefer to be covered vocally commenting about those that choose to remain uncovered in the locker room that gets under my skin.  

Very sorry that guy said that to/about you Kareem.  What a fuckTwit.

Before my gym shutdown I always walked from my locker to the shower and then to the swimsuit spinner and then back to my locker, nude.  And I prefer the men that stay nude as long as they can.  This is one of our rare opportunities to be naked together, gay or straight, let's take advantage of it.

On the message center people have before commented that younger people don't grow up being "forced" to shower after gym class, and so they are naturally more modest in the gym.  I suppose, since they are modest, older men now also cover themselves out of an unconscious mirroring behavior, or simply peer pressure.

20-some years ago I used to see Jerry Stiller walking around the locker room, always sans-towel, at the 13th-street NY Health and Racquet Club.    Good for him.

Edited by Rod Hagen

On 1/12/2022 at 9:31 PM, Epigonos said:

I gotta say I find this whole topic bizarre.  I entered high school in 1955 and graduated in 1958.  During those three years I showered every school day at the end of my P.E. class.  We used gang showers and as we exited the shower room the locker room attendant handed each one of us a towel.  We dried off as we went to our lockers where we finished drying off and got dressed.  As we exited the locker-room, we threw the wet towels in a bin.  Nobody thought a thing of it – it was just what we did.  Also in those days men and boy went swimming in the nude at most YMCA’s and nobody thought a thing of it –- it was just what we did.

By the time I retired from teaching high school in 2002 the shower room were “never” used.  After P.E. classes the guy would simply load up on deodorant and proceed through the rest of their school day.  Even following after-school athletic events guys “never” used the showers.  They went home and showered. 

Have you ever noticed how many guys refuse to use urinal in public restrooms nowadays, even urinals that are separated by dividers.  Instead they wait for an empty stall.  Seems, to me, like an over developed sense of silly modesty

My Junior High School in rural Massachusetts didn't provide towels after showers from P E.  I enjoyed the showers, but hated carrying around   my own wet towel for the rest of the day.So I don't remember much about the wonderful nudity.

We are all guilty of wanting to look at penises at some point. Many have paid to do that and just that (Gaiety 👏🏼…anyone..?)

There is no thing lost when someone looks at you, naked or clothed. A camera can’t steal your soul, and someone looking at your ass won’t cause it to suddenly fall open. They can’t undress you with their eyes when you’re starkers. Dignity remains intact after being looked at, barring any public accidents with soap-on-a-rope. The glance is different from the stare, obviously. But even if someone sees your nakedness, doesn’t clothing and/or a timely exit bring an end to it? Straight men glance at each other at urinals and in showers all the time. Even they get tired of looking at pussy. 😂

Things have changed.  We all swam nude in high school in the 70’s.  

I once remember back in the 80’s at a health club.  I was walking from the shower area to the lockers, and in the sink area a guy was standing in front of the air dryer drying his pubes and junk.  

I was getting dressed, and same guy’s locker was near mine.  He put on dress pants, no underwear, and only zipped an inch or so, pubes visible, and stood in front of the mirror to comb his hair.  

1 hour ago, bashful said:

Things have changed.  We all swam nude in high school in the 70’s.  

I once remember back in the 80’s at a health club.  I was walking from the shower area to the lockers, and in the sink area a guy was standing in front of the air dryer drying his pubes and junk.  

I was getting dressed, and same guy’s locker was near mine.  He put on dress pants, no underwear, and only zipped an inch or so, pubes visible, and stood in front of the mirror to comb his hair.  

Yes! The Holiday Health Spa (Bally’s?)I used to swim at had a couple of ever-present exhibitionists on weekday afternoons when I went. One guy was a pube-dryer, and another was a somewhat dashing older guy with very showable junk, who obviously knew he got looks from everyone. His dick was stunning to look at, which as a regular, one could not avoid seeing at some point, especially as he made the rounds between shower (curtain open, natch) steam and sauna, but it might just have been decorative rather than functional…

I use a hairdryer on body hair and toes at home, so I get the concept. I showered to rinse off perspiration or chlorine and went home for the deets. Many are heading to work or somewhere else after… yet still have time to show off their, um, process. 

On 1/12/2022 at 9:31 PM, Epigonos said:

Nobody thought a thing of it – it was just what we did. 

Indeed. When I was in High School ( late 80s ) the wrestling coach would occasionally jump in the shower to rinse off too.

Nobody thought anything of it.  Never heard a word about him being anything but straight as straight can be.

Same at the public pool...would strip off my swim trunks and shower next to my naked father, balls dangling everywhere. Never occurred to anyone to cover up anything.

I find kindred observations from many here and @Tygerscenthas substantial Venn diagram with my pre and even post puberty home life. We grew up skinny dipping with friends and family; that persisted even after we moved away when we were back at our parents’ farm on a weekend or other occasion. There was no a/c in the early years so sleeping on top of the sheets, without a stitch of textile on our bodies, was how summer nights were passed. As the saying goes, you don’t know what you don’t know until you do. Thus it wasn’t until I had a roommate in the university dorm that I had the slightest inkling of how differently another male, living in an intimate setting (if memory serves the dorm room was like 300 sf) , can have an expectation of otherwise unattainable privacy. I was not without compassion, he had hideous acne that covered the majority of his body, but it was difficult to adapt his covered up approach to dorm living as what should be normal for both of us. 

My experiences in the gym communal showers, the locker room, the sauna and steam room have all varied from one end of the spectrum to the other. So often the vibe of a particular brand or space is a decisive factor. The university space was young boys loaded with testosterone, thinking about any number of things from a girl they liked the looks of to is my penis above, below or just average as I note the physiques of such a volume of naked bodies all in one place, a totally first time experience for so many. 

Post school life has similar experiences when first joining a new gym and wanting to seem like a regular the vibe has to be observed or sensed. The YMCA is often a different flavor than an Equinox; Golds different than a NYSC or LA Fitness and within those franchises the flavor varies from NYC or Dallas or Boston to an Austin or Nashville. Established versus new or newish and hip.  Point being the experience one had as a reference for what is not going to get anyone excited in one locale may not translate into another locale. 

In the final analysis you can only be who you are even if that makes you an outlier on occasion. Often being who you are is the breath of fresh air others come to appreciate first and then emulate. 

1 hour ago, Will.Varner said:

I find kindred observations from many here and @Tygerscenthas substantial Venn diagram with my pre and even post puberty home life. We grew up skinny dipping with friends and family; that persisted even after we moved away when we were back at our parents’ farm on a weekend or other occasion. There was no a/c in the early years so sleeping on top of the sheets, without a stitch of textile on our bodies, was how summer nights were passed. As the saying goes, you don’t know what you don’t know until you do. Thus it wasn’t until I had a roommate in the university dorm that I had the slightest inkling of how differently another male, living in an intimate setting (if memory serves the dorm room was like 300 sf) , can have an expectation of otherwise unattainable privacy. I was not without compassion, he had hideous acne that covered the majority of his body, but it was difficult to adapt his covered up approach to dorm living as what should be normal for both of us. 

My experiences in the gym communal showers, the locker room, the sauna and steam room have all varied from one end of the spectrum to the other. So often the vibe of a particular brand or space is a decisive factor. The university space was young boys loaded with testosterone, thinking about any number of things from a girl they liked the looks of to is my penis above, below or just average as I note the physiques of such a volume of naked bodies all in one place, a totally first time experience for so many. 

Post school life has similar experiences when first joining a new gym and wanting to seem like a regular the vibe has to be observed or sensed. The YMCA is often a different flavor than an Equinox; Golds different than a NYSC or LA Fitness and within those franchises the flavor varies from NYC or Dallas or Boston to an Austin or Nashville. Established versus new or newish and hip.  Point being the experience one had as a reference for what is not going to get anyone excited in one locale may not translate into another locale. 

In the final analysis you can only be who you are even if that makes you an outlier on occasion. Often being who you are is the breath of fresh air others come to appreciate first and then emulate. 

It’s great we all have these varied experience… They challenge our perception of ourselves and how we interact with life~
There is beauty in that~
 We can at times so easily discriminate against what is different in others but, if we were all the same, people would force each other or themselves to change to elevate what they don’t like about themselves in their sameness~
 Diversity is what keeps life going~ It’s what keeps life balanced~
 Excessive homogeneity is a weakness~ 
  What would we learn if we were all the same~?

I was thrown into an all boy environment in grade seven when I was enrolled in a private school where athletics were emphasized in the curriculum. After physical activities including gym and sports, showers in a room that was designed to accommodate 30 people, were mandatory.

We all got naked together and of course in my first year we were just entering puberty. Some were more developed than others in respect to hair around their genitals in particular but even on their chests. 

That was the year we had a class devoted to the subject of sex Ed but it wasn't called that in the late 1950's. Something like human relations. Anyway the headmaster of the Junior school taught it and he was very humane in his approach trying to reassure the boys that we would all end up with penises that would function properly, even if some were a bit slower than others.

I suppose I was in the middle of development and so found his words reassuring. It was around then I started jerking off.

Edited by Luv2play

1 hour ago, Luv2play said:

I was thrown into an all boy environment in grade seven when I was enrolled in a private school where athletics were emphasized in the curriculum. After physical activities including gym and sports, showers in a room that was designed to accommodate 30 people, were mandatory.

We all got naked together and of course in my first year we were just entering puberty. Some were more developed than others in respect to hair around their genitals in particular but even on their chests. 

That was the year we had a class devoted to the subject of sex Ed but it wasn't called that in the late 1950's. Something like human relations. Anyway the headmaster of the Junior school taught it and he was very humane in his approach trying to reassure the boys that we would all end up with penises that would function properly, even if some were a bit slower than others.

I suppose I was in the middle of development and so found his words reassuring. It was around then I started jerking off.

My similar post to a similar thread about two years ago:

I was about 7 and sent off to a summer camp. First or second night, big group showers (supervised) for all campers so 6-7 year olds thru those just hitting puberty. First shower....just about everyone hard a hard on. What a newly discovered mix of different bodies, colors, cocks. Next few nights (I was there two weeks) our newfound erections were gone but I was able to do plenty of looking and realized I was anxious to see one or two of my camp friends in the shower naked.?   
Also a shocking thing for me....my first BBC ? 

https://www.companyofmen.org/topic/108483-the-first-gay-frisson/?do=findComment&comment=1383367

On 1/17/2022 at 10:59 AM, Monarchy79 said:

Has it ever occurred to anyone that one of the main reason why some guys cover their private areas with towels, is because they know that people are staring and oogling at their dicks and asses? 

To add to that creepiness, for at least the past decade, there has been tons of “spy” videos where guys are secretly filmed naked in locker rooms. When I see a creep in the locker room, lingering and playing with his phone, I keep on my towel too. 

Yes, that's occurred to me.  However, the problem for me is that when every other person in the locker room wears a towel, lest anyone take a look at their assets, it sets a tone where then I feel uncomfortable doing otherwise.  And I just want to change without the struggle of the towel/underwear acrobatics. 

5 minutes ago, GeoMitch said:

Yes, that's occurred to me.  However, the problem for me is that when every other person in the locker room wears a towel, lest anyone take a look at their assets, it sets a tone where then I feel uncomfortable doing otherwise.  And I just want to change without the struggle of the towel/underwear acrobatics. 

The “tone” will disappear once you start tuning others out. 
By the time I hit the locker room, I’m too sore, worn out and high off of post-workout endorphins to even care about who’s naked, whose toweled, and who has what vibe. 

Do what you want, and pay everyone else absolutely no mind…. 

I think the fact everyone has a camera on them these days from the age of junior high has a lot to do with it. But it started before then. It began around the AIDS crisis but also that was the same time that the panic about child sex abuse began too, and those two things combined with America's general Puritan streak resulted in kids being warned about the dangers all around them etc. I was in HS in the late 80s and by then in my school the showers were barely used - in 4 years I saw 4 boys who used the shower...once each. I think part of it was budgets were being cut and there were no locker attendants or the like. 

• 9 months later...
On 1/12/2022 at 12:32 AM, Kareem_nyc said:

I noticed some guys with low tolerance to accept male nudity in the gym’s locker rooms…
which I personally experienced it few days ago. Noting, that I’m not that type of guys who get fully naked and start walking around in the locker room. Especially when there some other people. 
But once after I shower, and if the locker room was less crowded, usually I dnt hesitate to take off the towel, and stay fully naked while getting something to wear.
but recently, and after I took off the towel, and while putting on my underwear, someone came in suddenly to the locker room, and apparently he saw my butt (a part of it), since I was giving him my back. 
Apparently, that absurd got offended! And He kept talking to himself until  (I believe) I heard him saying “you Faggot”! You brought it to yourself! “

I got shocked lol, I didn’t even wanted to turn and see who he was.
Does these people still really exist?? 😂😂Encountering such ignorant perception of anti-gay (homophobia), makes me notice that people become narrow minded and shortsighted! 

What do you think? 

He liked what he saw. So you made him question his sexuality. That’s why he got mad. 🤷🏻‍♂️

A regular heterosexual guy couldn’t care less. 

My take on this phenomenon is that until relatively recently most men would never imagine that a homosexual would be found among them - that is if they even thought of gay people at all. Then as gay people became more or less mainstreamed in society since the 1990s, I think straight guys  realized that any random guy next to him could be checking him out, and it made him feel uncomfortable. So he started changed under a towel.  From there, I think that undressing under a towel grew somewhat virally, until it became the norm. In addition, gyms got rid of gang showers (which also cut down on cruising) in favor of stalls, and even replaced curtains with doors. High schools probably feel showers are a legal liability because it may create opportunities sexual harassment. (We all remember that one teacher that found an excuse to take a stroll through the boys locker room.) Today, most gyms do not even offer single sex hot tubs. I think that single sex steam rooms are next to go. 

1 hour ago, KnotFunny said:

My take on this phenomenon is that until relatively recently most men would never imagine that a homosexual would be found among them - that is if they even thought of gay people at all. Then as gay people became more or less mainstreamed in society since the 1990s, I think straight guys  realized that any random guy next to him could be checking him out, and it made him feel uncomfortable. So he started changed under a towel.  From there, I think that undressing under a towel grew somewhat virally, until it became the norm. In addition, gyms got rid of gang showers (which also cut down on cruising) in favor of stalls, and even replaced curtains with doors. High schools probably feel showers are a legal liability because it may create opportunities sexual harassment. (We all remember that one teacher that found an excuse to take a stroll through the boys locker room.) Today, most gyms do not even offer single sex hot tubs. I think that single sex steam rooms are next to go. 

There's some homophobia in some of it, sure, but there's also a resurgence of prudism in today's society.

You'd think otherwise based on OnlyFans and social media, but that's really a small subset of super-jacked guys.

When you've spent your life behind a screen and on a keyboard, you never really learn to have the in-person confidence it takes to navigate things like locker rooms, public nudity, bathhouses, etc.  It's just a foreign language to them.  You can immediately see their discomfort with something they don't know.  They can't hide it.

The biggest oddity I see with OnlyFans creators is that while some of them are absolutely beautiful, many are best left as solo models.  Once you insert hardcore fucking, you see the cracks in the veneer.  No ability.  No rhythm.  No passion.  Just a dead-behind-the-eyes fuck between two very pretty people. 

I can't sign off on that... Much less get off on that.

Edited by BenjaminNicholas