Goodbye Betty White better known to younger folks as Rose Nylund! The last of the Golden Girls!

marylander1940

3 hours ago, Leyte2019 said:

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, and I'm showing my age. She'll always be Sue Ann Nivens to me-better writing, bitchier, wittier, and, frankly, more culturally relevant.

She was great as Sue Ann, and the role showed her versatility in comedy.  IRRC, she had apparently been considered for the role of Blanche in Golden Girls due to her previous success playing Sue Ann, but I am really glad she played Rose - a bubble-head who was not a dimwit at heart.  And I think Rue McClanahan was originally supposed to play Rose, given her prior role as the ditzy Vivian on Maude.  But I may be mistaken on that.

1 hour ago, CuriousByNature said:

... IRRC, she had apparently been considered for the role of Blanche in Golden Girls due to her previous success playing Sue Ann, but I am really glad she played Rose - a bubble-head who was not a dimwit at heart.  And I think Rue McClanahan was originally supposed to play Rose, given her prior role as the ditzy Vivian on Maude.  But I may be mistaken on that.

Fascinating...   the casting write-up in Wikipedia (referencing other sources) suggests:  "Eager not to be typecast, they took the suggestion of Sandrich [Director] and switched roles at the last minute".  

A couple of years ago I stumbled upon a clip of "Life With Elizabeth," a very early sitcom starring Betty White. She never lost that glint in her eyes or that sweet-yet-devilish grin. She was truly a television pioneer. 

RIP Betty White. We will miss you.

To cheer us all up, here's Betty in Carol Burnett's "Beach Blanket Bingo" sketch:

On 12/31/2021 at 3:49 PM, jgoo said:

There was to be a 100 Year's Young - A Birthday Celebration on January 17 in theaters.  I suppose it will now be a Life Celebration instead.  She was one hell of a broad.  Sad for her passing but happy for her long well lived life.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/Betty-White-100-Years-Young

I have tickets to this. Guess I will be crying and laughing now.

2 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

I don't remember seeing her on What's My Line.  What's My Line had a daytime show and an evening show.  Bud Collier was the MC.  The only panel member I can think of was Peggy Cass.

I'm wrong - confusing What's My Line with To Tell the Truth.  Peggy Cass was on To Tell the Truth.  The panelists I can remember from What's My Line are Dorothy Kilgallen, Arlene Francis and Bennett Cerf - there were others but I don't remember them.   The episode of What's My Line I most remember was when they demo'd a very early microwave oven.   They used it to fix a meal for the panelists and they were all suitably dumbfounded.

14 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

I'm wrong - confusing What's My Line with To Tell the Truth.  Peggy Cass was on To Tell the Truth.  The panelists I can remember from What's My Line are Dorothy Kilgallen, Arlene Francis and Bennett Cerf - there were others but I don't remember them.   The episode of What's My Line I most remember was when they demo'd a very early microwave oven.   They used it to fix a meal for the panelists and they were all suitably dumbfounded.

Betty White was an occasional panelist on "What's My Line?"  Perhaps more often after Dorothy Kilgallon died. I was watching some of the shows a few months ago and remember Betty White.

3 hours ago, Rudynate said:

Bess Meyerson maybe?

Bess Myerson was a panelist on "I've Got A Secret" I think

It was Dorothy Kilgallon on What's My Line. There were only Bennett Cerf and Arlene Francis as permanent panelists after Ms  Kilgallon died in 1965.

Edited by WilliamM

On 1/9/2022 at 11:30 AM, Rudynate said:

I don't remember seeing her on What's My Line.  What's My Line had a daytime show and an evening show.  Bud Collier was the MC.  The only panel member I can think of was Peggy Cass.

Wasn't John Daly the host of the long running Sunday night What's My Line?   More important, Betty White  was on my game shows, but seldom as a panelist on What's My Line

I watch What's My Line on YouTube and pretty sure the John Daly years were produced in NYC.

Betty White worked and lived mostly in LA during that time. 

There is a Betty White documentary on Netflix that discusses her career including game shows.  

It's pretty good, but is leaving Netflix soon.

Edited by E.T.Bass
Grammar