Rude behavior at the Gaiety

Lucky

This topic is 7763 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

NY Observer list his annoyance at people who walk out during some dancers' performance, usually if the dancer is African-American. I sympathize with the thought, but we are there to see what we like. Ideally, if I know an upcoming dancer is not to my liking, I would take a break before he takes the stage. But you can't always know who is next, and I don't feel I should be forced to sit through a performance by a dancer of any size, shape or color if I am not interested in him. These guys perform in public with the confidence that they are worth the audience's attention. If someone leaves, it's no worse than getting a "no" from someone you ask to dance. I think the dancers understand that people have their own particular taste.

What annoys ME at the Gaiety are the screamers who hoot and holler when a dancer shows his butthole. Consequently, the dancers often come out with a gorgeous erection but have to show their hole because the screamers are only satisfied with that. These same people think nothing of "holding" front row seats for a half hour before the show, leave their good seats empty a lot of the time, talk loudly amongst themselves, and NEVER say excuse me when they barrel out of the room cause they don't want to watch a particular dancer.

So, I guess we all have our annoyances.

I agree totally with NYO on this point. It's embarrassing when the mass exits take place. It's not like anyone is being asked to sit through the the 4th act of Aida - it's a 5 minute song. I've heard a patron say out loud after a black dancer already came out on stage: "No way .. he's not for me!" Also annoying are the guys who grab the ringside seat and don't part with a tip, yet they're shoveling down potato chips and punch as quick as they can get it in.

I have no further comments on getting up to leave during the show.

I do have some comments, however, on the "hooters and hollerers". I watch a lot of shows during the week and find that the atmosphere for that particular show is BY FAR the best of the 35 (or so) shows during the week. I believe that the dancers seem to like the noise, I have had some say "why is it so quiet" on other nights. I think that the erections that the guys come out with are quite temporary in most cases, aided by rubber bands or whatever. I think the entertainment value provided by the hooters adds to the show. I am sorry you find it offensive.

Regarding saving of seats half an hour before that show, there is only a movie playing at that time. I don't think that there's anything wrong with reserving one's seat in between shows when there are no performers on stage. I think you can probably see the movie almost as well from the second row as the first (especially since the first row will be vacant). If you think it's ok to leave one's seat for a dancer one doesn't like, clearly it's ok to leave one's jacket on the seat to reserve it for a more pleasing visual experience.

I agree with Jake's comment about tippers. I believe that those who are close to the stage should be tipping at least some of the dancers. Those are clearly very popular seats and those who are there to watch and not tip should sit further away from the stage. I realize that the dancers don't depend on tips to make their weeks successful or unsuccessful, but I think that they put on better shows when the tips are there. I don't think they have to be big tips, it shouldn't put anyone in the poor house to shell out 5 or 10 dollars.

Because those erections are often temporary, I want to see them while they last! Buttholes are always available to see:-)

NY Observer's reviews have been a highlight of this site for me. He is fair and often kind in his reviews. Having sat behind him the last time I went to the Gaiety, I noticed that he does practice what he preaches.

With that in mind, I am merely expressing my opinion on the screamers. With a large and diverse crowd, it seems to me that one group should not dominate how the shows go.

Guest Tampa Yankee

NYO,

> I watch a lot

>of shows during the week

>and find that the atmosphere

>for that particular show is

>BY FAR the best of

>the 35 (or so) shows

>during the week.

Exactly which show are your referring to? -- help a Gayety novice out, please.

>believe that the dancers seem

>to like the noise, I

I've been to other venues and dancers seem to draw energy from the crowd, thank god -- I've seem some in desperate need of infusions. So it makes sense, to me anyway, that those are the hottest nights. Now, exactly which one...

Lucky,

Sorry to say, but the squeaky wheel gets the oil, true the world over. Not a phenomenon I've been particularly happy about as I've traveled this planet but one that is the fact, much more often than not.