Recipes that sound disgusting but ain't.

samhexum
This topic is 753 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

11 minutes ago, MikeBiDude said:

Did YOU name it that @samhexum

No, my former roommate learned the recipe (and the one for pineapple pie that started this thread) from her aunt who called it that.  Of course, the aunt has been thin her whole life, whereas my former roommate & I have not.

BTW, if you can't find skor bars, heath or twix will do in a pinch.

• 1 month later...

CRUSTLESS QUICHE

1 1/2 CUPS SKIM MILK

1/3 STICK BUTTER SOFTENED, NOT MELTED

1/3 CUP FLOUR (+ a bit more along the bottom of casserole dish)

3 LARGE EGGS

ANY VEGGIES YOU WANT (I'VE ALSO ADDED TUNA OR HAM AT TIMES)

2% MILK SHREDDED CHEDDAR (+ AMERICAN IF I HAVE ON HAND)

1.  Spray bottom & sides of casserole dish w/ cooking spray

2.  Sprinkle some flour along bottom to absorb excess liquid (just a bit). If you're using veggies that give off a lot of moisture like spinach or tomatoes, use a few tablespoons.

3.  cover bottom of dish with American cheese slices or a fairly generous amount of grated cheddar

4.  add your veggies

5.  top with a layer of grated cheddar

6.  Blend together milk, butter, flour, eggs & pour over everything in the casserole dish
     a.  probably will look gross at this point...  don't worry!  I only have a manual hand mixer, so no matter how much I soften the butter, I get a gross looking mixture with butter glob-lets mixed in, & it always comes out perfectly.
     b.  with everything added, it usually comes right to the top of the casserole dish, but doesn't tend to spill over, even during baking.  put the casserole dish on a baking pan to catch any spillovers, just to be sure

7.  Bake in pre-heated 375 degree oven for 42-55 minutes.  Begin checking at 42 min for desired browning on top.  Be aware that major puffing up happens during baking, and deflating occurs upon cooling.

8.  Let cool for at least 10 minutes so cheese has time to firm up and contents aren't molten lava.

9.  You may have a small layer of liquid along the bottom of the casserole dish, depending on the veggie/flour amounts you used.   It might not be the most appealing sight, but it doesn't affect the flavor, and it'll give you an idea how to adjust the ratio in the future.

A HAM, RED PEPPER, SPINACH QUICHE I MADE:
image.png.784ac4c30ca005d58bf98fe6a5d4c8d2.png
Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

No so much disgusting but initially surprising…

Honey in turkey meatloaf. Several recipes online called for it, and I was skeptical, but went ahead with it. Turned out great.

I highly recommend turkey meatloaf. Next time I’ll make a poultry gravy with a tablespoon of honey and a splash of liquid smoke in it. It’ll be perfect.

Trying new recipe ideas has always been fun for me.

A Filipino friend recently had me try a stew made of goat blood. I don't remember the name but he said it's a delicacy back in his home country.

He had me eat it with "puto" which is like a cross between a savory muffin and those pancakes that you eat with Peking duck.

(I am curious at the name...does it have anything to do with the Spanish name for a male whore?)

Anyway, I thought it would be really gamey and very much an acquired taste but it was delicious! The puto worked great with the stew.

Edited by alrajee

2 hours ago, alrajee said:

A Filipino friend recently had me try a stew made of goat blood. I don't remember the name but he said it's a delicacy back in his home country.

He had me eat it "puto" which is like a cross between a savory muffin and those pancakes that you eat with Peking duck.

(I am curious at the name...does it have anything to do with the Spanish name for a male whore?)

Anyway, I thought it would be really gamey and very much an acquired taste but it was delicious! The puto worked great with the stew.

Dinuguan, from Wiki:  a Filipino savory stew usually of pork offal (typically lungs, kidneys, intestines, ears, heart and snout) and/or meat simmered in a rich, spicy dark gravy of pig blood, garlic, chili (most often siling haba), and vinegar.

You're a lot braver than I am.  My parents love the stuff, but I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole.  Not because of the pig blood (I love morcilla, a Spanish blood sausage) but because of the offal.  Most people make it with tripe, the sight of which makes me gag, forget the smell.  Growing up, dinuguan was a real delicacy because animal blood (you can use cow blood, never heard of goat, but I guess that'd work too) was very hard to find.  Now you can buy it in any Filipino supermarket.

LOL, I'm pretty sure Filipino puto has no connection to the Spanish word.

Toast Hawaii. 

This recipe didn't actually sound disgusting and I just fixed it and it was pretty tasty.  We've been watching that German sci-fi series "Dark" on  Netflix.  One of the characters fixed "Toast Hawaii" as a treat for her child.  It is actually a popular German recipe:  a slice of toast, a slice of ham, a pineapple slice, and a slice of cheese - in that order.  You put it under the broiler to melt the cheese thoroughly and then put a maraschino cherry in the depression where the cheese melted into the hole in the center of the pineapple slice and serve.  Very much like Hawaiian pizza.  If you don't like pizza with pineapple, you might not like this.    I used sharp cheddar and it reminded me of apple pie with cheddar cheese.  I want to try it with muenster cheese or havarti because that is the sort of cheese you encounter in Germany on a day-to-day basis.