Recipes that sound disgusting but ain't.

samhexum
This topic is 774 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

3 hours ago, samhexum said:

Combine in a bowl:

1 pint sour cream

1 20 oz. can of crushed pineapple in its own juice

2 small boxes of instant vanilla pudding

Plop the concoction into a graham cracker pie crust and refrigerate.

ENJOY!

That doesn't sound disgusting to me. Maybe a bit sweet but perhaps the sour cream alleviates that.

The NYT just did an article on disgusting as one of the basic human emotions. It's pretty interesting and received lots of comments from readers.

1 hour ago, Rudynate said:

Last week, my husband made us chicken sandwiches for lunch.  We were out of mayo so he used ketchup and I was thinking, "Oh well, this will be character-building."  It was REALLY tasty.  Since then, I have made chicken sandwiches with ketchup twice more. 

Kecap* and mayo is a shorthand recipe for a seafood sauce. The two together would be good in a chicken sandwich. For me sliced roast chicken (or shredded) without any sort of sauce or addition makes a good chicken sandwich. I've been doing that with my left over chicken from Christmas dinner, today with slices of tomato.

*'Kecap' is the Malay word that the Brits and Americans appropriated for what in Australia is called tomato sauce. Before you ask, yes it is pronounced the same as 'ketchup' (c is a ch sound in Bahasa Malaysia and Bahasa Indonesia). Before spelling reform the Dutch derived version was ketjap.

3 hours ago, mike carey said:

...*'Kecap' is the Malay word that the Brits and Americans appropriated for what in Australia is called tomato sauce. Before you ask, yes it is pronounced the same as 'ketchup' (c is a ch sound in Bahasa Malaysia and Bahasa Indonesia). Before spelling reform the Dutch derived version was ketjap.

Yes, we Americans have great admiration for the Dutch, the first country to salute the US flag (France was the 2nd, actually!). That's why we give the name "cookies" to what the Brits call "biscuits" (I'm not sure which word is used down under, actually). It comes from the Dutch "koekjes" (little cake). As you may know, tomato sauce means something different in the US:

Tomato Sauce | Hunt's

Quick Fresh Tomato Sauce Recipe - NYT Cooking

5 hours ago, mike carey said:

For me sliced roast chicken (or shredded) without any sort of sauce or addition makes a good chicken sandwich.

Kind of like European sandwiches - no condiments, just meat, maybe cheese on a nice roll, a little tomato.   I really got used to them when I lived there.  American sandwiches with all the condiments and sauces began to seem a little gloppy.

1 hour ago, Unicorn said:

Yes, we Americans have great admiration for the Dutch, the first country to salute the US flag (France was the 2nd, actually!). That's why we give the name "cookies" to what the Brits call "biscuits" (I'm not sure which word is used down under, actually). It comes from the Dutch "koekjes" (little cake)..

And I have a particular admiration for Dutch men.  As a matter of fact, my husband's ancestry is Dutch.  He looks look somebody you could meet strolling the streets of Amsterdam.

This is called “Fathers Pudding”… great for holidays or whenever~ It isn’t easy to put together because it’s hard to find all the ingredients available and it requires a lot of meat… but, the result is fantastic~ 
 Prep: large cooking sheets, assorted berries and protein powder… (set berries and protein aside for later to garnish).

Now… mix all these together on the cooking sheets… 
 1). Horse meat: image.jpeg.c75e15a8ec92effa96991d1cde607a1c.jpeg

2). chicken: image.jpeg.07f2473c7fc041f2f987c6f11c63c9dc.jpeg

3). Pork: image.jpeg.424221b6a82babd6c7c443b8da66af33.jpeg
4). Some Fitch: image.jpeg.d978f1c7d8083cfdbbd00c8f012a5013.jpeg

5). lots of oil:    

image.thumb.jpeg.c992991759bcd1acf2cb0c953f4c2b34.jpeg

6). A couple tubs of Crisco…  image.jpeg.f195da29c09cde9abba44d9cb2499856.jpeg

7). Mix it all together with kisses and turn up the heat~ It’s done in about four days~

enjoy~  

Edited by Tygerscent

2 hours ago, Rudynate said:

Kind of like European sandwiches - no condiments, just meat, maybe cheese on a nice roll, a little tomato.   I really got used to them when I lived there.  American sandwiches with all the condiments and sauces began to seem a little gloppy.

I despise condiments on cold sandwiches. When Jersey Mike's asks me whether I want it "Mike's Way" I reply "No, I want it my way - no oil, no vinegar..."

1 hour ago, Tygerscent said:

This isn’t easy because it’s hard to find all the ingredients and it requires a lot of meat… but, the result is fantastic~ 
 Prep: large cooking sheets, assorted berries and protein powder… (set berries and protein aside for later to garnish).

Now… mix all these together on the cooking sheets… 
 1). Horse meat: image.jpeg.c75e15a8ec92effa96991d1cde607a1c.jpeg

2). chicken: image.jpeg.07f2473c7fc041f2f987c6f11c63c9dc.jpeg

3). Pork: image.jpeg.424221b6a82babd6c7c443b8da66af33.jpeg
4). Some Fitch: image.jpeg.d978f1c7d8083cfdbbd00c8f012a5013.jpeg

5). lots of oil:    

image.thumb.jpeg.c992991759bcd1acf2cb0c953f4c2b34.jpeg

6). A couple tubs of Crisco…  image.jpeg.f195da29c09cde9abba44d9cb2499856.jpeg

7). Mix it all together with kisses and turn up the heat~ It’s done in about four days~

enjoy~  

Can also sprinkle on lots of Jimmies~ Don’t be afraid to taste the batter and lick the spoon~ When it’s ready yell: “cuuuuuuuum and Get It~!”

Edited by Tygerscent

2 hours ago, Rudynate said:

Right~? Miss those little sandwiches: just enough and never too much~ Here it’s all about the sauces and dressings and being deep fried~ 

I saw a recipe on YouTube for Filipino chicken salad that called for Miracle Whip, condensed milk, canned pineapple (drained) and sweet relish.  I mentioned it to my mother and commented that it sounded disgusting.  She responded that that's how Filipinos make it, and in fact, I had eaten & enjoyed that recipe many times at various relatives' homes.  Imagine my horror.

11 hours ago, Unicorn said:

As you may know, tomato sauce means something different in the US:

Tomato Sauce | Hunt's

Quick Fresh Tomato Sauce Recipe - NYT Cooking

In a way that could be seen as confusing, that can also be called tomato sauce in Australia, although it can also be named by its use (so pasta sauce or pizza sauce) rather than by its main ingredient. Although apparently confusing, it rarely is. You can tell from the context whether they mean the condiment or the vegetable variety. You will also see bottled passata in shops here.

11 hours ago, Rudynate said:

Same sort of deal, although people will sometimes have tomato sauce on meat in a sandwich. First time I had a chicken salad sandwich in the US it caught me by surprise. I had failed to notice the difference in the name and expected a chicken and salad sandwich. Here that's chicken with some lettuce, tomato, cucumber, sliced beetroot, grated carrot, onion, or some combination of those ingredients.

We also typically only call it a sandwich if it is between two slices of bread. If a bread roll is used, it would be called a ham and cheese roll (or whatever filling was being used). The wider US usage of 'sandwich' is used occasionally now that US-style fast food chains sell a variety of breakfast 'sandwiches'. The term hadn't been used when the only variety in Maccas was on English muffins. (They haven't included their biscuit 'sandwiches' on their Australian menus, perhaps fearing that people's minds would explode at the thought of egg and bacon between two biscuits (i.e. cookies).)

Edited by mike carey

10 hours ago, Rudynate said:

When visiting family in Europe years ago, in the morning we usually had a small platter of sliced meat, cheese, cucumber, tomato, with hardtack.

17 hours ago, Rudynate said:

No boiled egg?  Germans and Scandinavians are very big on a boiled egg at breakfast.

No boiled eggs.  Scandinavian is right.  We were in a small village in Sweden near the arctic circle.  Although, my mom often made boiled eggs, and I do almost every morning today.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was in college, I worked for the NY Post, meeting the delivery trucks at 4AM(ish), then dropping off the appropriate bundles to the paperboys.

I'd get home about 7:30.  There was a little hole-in-the wall place in my neighborhood that sold bagels & some hot food.  They had real pumpernickel bagels that actually tasted like pumpernickel, not just brown plain bagels like most places have.

I don't know what possessed me, but one day I had them make me a cheeseburger on a pumpernickel bagel and YUM!  The combination of flavors was great.

Alas, it's been rare that I've found pumpernickel bagels with that authentic flavor during the ensuing years (although if I had, I'd probably be another 50 pounds overweight).

DIARRHEA IN A BOWL (BECAUSE IT LOOKS LIKE IT, NOT BECAUSE IT CAUSES IT)

Ingredients

1 box of chocolate cake mix

2 boxes of instant chocolate pudding

10 Skor candy bars

2 (1 liter) containers of Cool Whip

Directions

Make and bake your cake mix as per the directions on the box. OR if you're making your own chocolate cake from scratch make and bake up that. You will want to make sure you evenly pour the batter into two round cake pans.

While the cake is baking, whip up the instant chocolate pudding mix and toss that into the fridge to chill.

Meanwhile, place the Skor candy bars into a bag, and using a meat tenderizer (or a rolling pin) crush up the candy bars.

Once your cakes are cooled, break up the cakes into pieces. Then you can begin the layering process.

In a trifle dish or any large bowl. Begin with a layer of cake pieces, chocolate pudding, Cool Whip, Skor candy bars pieces.

Repeat the layering process about 3 times, maybe more depending on the size of your dish.

On the very top should be Cool Whip with Skor candy pieces.

Chocolate Skor Trifle recipe - from the The Ulloa Family Cookbook Family  Cookbook

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

4 hours ago, samhexum said:

DIARRHEA IN A BOWL (BECAUSE IT LOOKS LIKE IT, NOT BECAUSE IT CAUSES IT)

Ingredients

1 box of chocolate cake mix

2 boxes of instant chocolate pudding

10 Skor candy bars

2 (1 liter) containers of Cool Whip

Directions

Make and bake your cake mix as per the directions on the box. OR if your making your own chocolate cake from scratch make and bake up that. You will want to make sure you pour the batter between to round cake pans.

While the cake is baking, whip up the instant chocolate pudding mix and toss that into the fridge to chill.

Meanwhile, place the Skor candy bars into a bag, and using a meat tenderizer (or a rolling pin) crush up the candy bar.

Once your cakes are cooled, break up the cakes into pieces. Then you can begin the layering process.

In a trifle dish or any large bowl. Begin with a layer of cake pieces, chocolate pudding, Cool Whip, Skor candy bars pieces.

Repeat the layering process about 3 times, maybe more depending on the size of your dish.

On the very top should be Cool Whip with Skor candy pieces.

Chocolate Skor Trifle recipe - from the The Ulloa Family Cookbook Family  Cookbook

That actually looks scrumptious.