Most Ever Won on a Scratch-Off Ticket?

BuffaloKyle

They are a staple at our family Christmas gathering as well.  This year, between about 12 of us, the largest win was $20 and a few smaller wins for $5.  About five years ago, I won $10,000,000 on a scratch off which was incredible, but I have never one even a single dollar after that (I only play them when I get them as gifts, never buy them on my own).  Happy Holidays!

3 hours ago, MichaelV said:

They are a staple at our family Christmas gathering as well.  This year, between about 12 of us, the largest win was $20 and a few smaller wins for $5.  About five years ago, I won $10,000,000 on a scratch off which was incredible, but I have never one even a single dollar after that (I only play them when I get them as gifts, never buy them on my own).  Happy Holidays!

You won $10 million from a scratch ticket?!  I didn't think scratch tickets had such big payouts.  A friend back in Boston won $100K off a scratch ticket, and I thought that was huge.

16 hours ago, BSR said:

You won $10 million from a scratch ticket?!  I didn't think scratch tickets had such big payouts.  A friend back in Boston won $100K off a scratch ticket, and I thought that was huge.

I've seen $2M and $3M prizes listed on some tickets, but I think the tickets cost about $25 or $30 each.  I have never bought any that have cost more than $5, but that might explain why I have never won more than $10.  

Not a scratch ticket win but a $10million lottery jackpot. 20 years ago I knew a couple who were eking out a living conducting estate sales in Montreal. I went to one and it was at a beautiful mansion in Westmount, a wealthy enclave. A friend of mine, an antique dealer, bought two large chandeliers, the type that are cranked down from the ceiling to clean. 

Several months later, this couple won the jackpot of $10 million in the Canadian lottery 6/49. The first thing they did was buy a mansion even further up the hill than the one I had seen them in a few months earlier earning their commission of a few thousand dollars. A fairy tale really but true.

I only saw the husband once a year later in the spring, sporting a Florida tan, dressed expensively, with a $200 haircut and driving the top of the line BMW. Money suited him.

18 hours ago, BSR said:

I just checked the ones here in NY and the $30 ones do have a $10M top prize. 

The most I have won was $150.  I had a patient that won $19 million on a pick six.  Also had a patient that won more than a million twice on Pick Six.  I rarely play now but at one time I would eat lunch at this sandwich shop and buy tow spieling scratch offs in which the scratch off reveals letters and you match those letters to a crossword like grid.  It took about ten minutes to complete the card and so with two I had usually finished my lunch.  That was the game in which I won 150 but strangely enough I did not realize it, I thought I had only matched three words which was a $% dollar win, but it turns out I had matched 6 words when I went to cash the ticket.  Guess I was not a very adept player.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2021 at 7:43 PM, BSR said:

Ooops - It was 10,000 (not 10 million)!  Sorry for that mistake, maybe it was wishful thinking!?

Thirty years ago, we had a department holiday party with a $10 white elephant gift exchange.  We were a small department of eight and spouses were included.  My boss and his wife boxes' were opened and the contents were scratched-off lottery tickets.  Everyone got a good laugh.  Then my boss's wife pulled the real scratchers out of her purse.  One of the two recipients had never played the lottery.  As she is scratching the tickets she's reading the instructions on the ticket and then says, "Guys, I think I just won $5,000."  Sure enough, she did!

And with that the mood of the party deflated and everyone went home.

After cashing in the ticket, my colleague did give our boss $1,000.