Piano Bars

Snbrd
This topic is 846 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A recent post about Things I Miss got me off on a tangent about piano bars. Are there any left? I remember when Boston's Napoleon Club was a 1st floor piano bar on weeknights. The upstairs dance bar only opened Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. It was a comfortable environment for a young guy figuring out his sexual identity and a a gay version of Cheers for the regulars. 

Martunies in San Francisco is straight but gay friendly. The Front Porch in Ogunquit Maine has morphed into a primarily straight bar but features gay performers who work plenty of gay references into their acts.

1 hour ago, Cock Eyed Optimist said:

What is (was?) the name of the piano bar in Greenwich Village where they played mostly show tunes and performers from on and off Broadway would come and sing?   Is it still there?

I remember going there once but forget the name too. I think the Town House in NYC also had a piano bar.

Rounds in midtown was a piano bar and pickup lounge for nice young hustlers, not the seedy kind. This was back in the 70s to 90s. The piano lounge also had dining available.

Legends in Wilton Manors in Ft. Lauderdale also had the piano bar and dining available. Very nice in its heyday. Haven't been back in over a decade so don't know the current situation.

When I frequented these places years ago, I wasn't really into the piano bar scene as I considered myself too young lol

Just now, Luv2play said:

I remember going there once but forget the name too. I think the Town House in NYC also had a piano bar.

Rounds in midtown was a piano bar and pickup lounge for nice young hustlers, not the seedy kind. This was back in the 70s to 90s. The piano lounge also had dining available.

Legends in Wilton Manors in Ft. Lauderdale also had the piano bar and dining available. Very nice in its heyday. Haven't been back in over a decade so don't know the current situation.

When I frequented these places years ago, I wasn't really into the piano bar scene as I considered myself too young lol

Was it Legends or Tropics, I forget. The one on the east side of the road is what I remember. Had a lovely dining room and bar.

3 hours ago, Cock Eyed Optimist said:

What is (was?) the name of the piano bar in Greenwich Village where they played mostly show tunes and performers from on and off Broadway would come and sing?   Is it still there?

Marie's Crisis.  A legendary spot that's still open and still packing em' in.

I'd also recommend Don't Tell Mama in Hell's Kitchen.  They have an equally as enjoyable downtown Vegas location.

Garbo's in Puerto Vallarta is a nice one.

LaTeDa in Key West continues to offer a solid piano bar experience (on some nights).

Dallas has The Library at The Warwick Hotel on Cedar Springs.  80% piano bar, but it's so social on weekends that the performers often get lost over the general hum of the place.

Also in Dallas is Alexandre's.  On the Cedar Springs stip as well, it's got a couple night a week of piano bar showtunes.

Piano bars aren't what they used to be and many have gone to the dueling piano concept, but they're still around if you look.  All of them are now have a highly mixed clientele, which means you may have to suffer through some Neil Diamond to get to a brassy broad belting out 'Roses Turn'

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

Guest MikeThomas
15 minutes ago, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

Marie's Crisis.  A legendary spot that's still open and still packing em' in.

I'd also recommend Don't Tell Mama in Hell's Kitchen.  They have an equally as enjoyable downtown Vegas location.

Garbo's in Puerto Vallarta is a nice one.

LaTeDa in Key West continues to offer a solid piano bar experience (on some nights).

Dallas has The Library at The Warwick Hotel on Cedar Springs.  80% piano bar, but it's so social on weekends that the performers often get lost over the general hum of the place.

Also in Dallas is Alexandre's.  On the Cedar Springs stip as well, it's got a couple night a week of piano bar showtunes.

Piano bars aren't what they used to be and many have gone to the dueling piano concept, but they're still around if you look.  All of them are now have a highly mixed clientele, which means you may have to suffer through some Neil Diamond to get to a brassy broad belting out 'Roses Turn'

We had a couple of good ones on Halsted in Chicago.  Now gone.  What about the Townhouse in New York 😉 ?

40 minutes ago, cany10011 said:

The Monster in the West Village also has a rowdy piano bar. Believe Spunk also has their gogo boys in Monster’s basement. 

Across the Monster is the Duplex, a cabaret/piano entertainment venue… steps from Stonewall. 

I was thinking if the Monster. I also remember it had dancing downstairs.

10 hours ago, Cock Eyed Optimist said:

There use to be such a place going opera.  Waiters and customers would join in singing.  Always a great place:

https://youtu.be/7Ydq3dgr8jI

10 hours ago, Luv2play said:

The Town House still has a piano bar. The bar’s longtime pianist, Rick Unterberg, passed away at the start of the pandemic.  I went back after it reopened, and it wasn’t the same. The new pianist plays old pop hits instead of show tunes, and the sense of community was mostly gone. Maybe things have changed since I visited. 

17 hours ago, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

I forgot about that place. There was a blond provider around 2003-2005 from Manhattan, Dylan, who used to stay there all the time. He invited me to his 21st birthday there, but I wasn’t able to make it. Glad it’s still there.

Was it “LaTeDa” that, later in the evening, had 1 or 2 go-go boys dancing in their briefs on top of the bar? 

I fondly recall ‘slippage’ - as the evening wore on, the briefs were worn less. Also I once spent some time chatting to a very nice “bar-back”…who told me he had nowhere to say that night. I took him home and he proved surprisingly compliant. 

1 hour ago, MscleLovr said:

Was it “LaTeDa” that, later in the evening, had 1 or 2 go-go boys dancing in their briefs on top of the bar? 

I fondly recall ‘slippage’ - as the evening wore on, the briefs were worn less. Also I once spent some time chatting to a very nice “bar-back”…who told me he had nowhere to say that night. I took him home and he proved surprisingly compliant. 

LaTeDa has never had gogo's.  It's not really that kind of place.

The most debaucherous it gets is their traditional Sunday Tea Dance, which is pretty tame overall.

On 12/13/2021 at 12:18 PM, Luv2play said:

Was it Legends or Tropics, I forget. The one on the east side of the road is what I remember. Had a lovely dining room and bar.

It was Tropics.  They closed a few years ago after being there for a long time.  After a few years, they reopened under the same name.  I assumed the new owners bought the right to the name.

2 hours ago, Cock Eyed Optimist said:

It was Tropics.  They closed a few years ago after being there for a long time.  After a few years, they reopened under the same name.  I assumed the new owners bought the right to the name.

One thing I noticed about being in Tropics at the turn of the century and Rounds some 18 years earlier was that both piano bars had soft pink lighting which was very flattering to one's complexion, particularly for the older guy's. It softened any wrinkles or facial blotches one might have.