Single All The Way (Netflix)

TruthBTold
This topic is 858 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So, after all the advertisements for this Netflix "gay break though" I have to say that while having watched it I kept wondering if the Netflix corporation had any LGBT people writing the scripts or sitting in on the directorial meetings.  Because in the end I found the whole vid/movie moderately offensive in many ways.  I was not sure if they had any idea of how a real gay person lives their life.  Or that the verbiage about being "sisters" went out of usage awhile ago.  The movie seemed like a really weird Hallmark production where someone at the top revealed to his/her non-gay staff that they have to make the movie appeal to "the gays."  Go to it. Of course, thank god, they did include two gay stalwarts, Jennifer Coolidge and Kathy Najimy, in the production.  Actually, they are the only things that made it mildly tolerable.  Kathy Najimy's character, the mother of the main character Peter, keeps insisting that a book she had recently read debunks commonly held beliefs about "the gays" and is a LGBTT book.  And the Jennifer Coolidge character (Aunt Sandy) is, well, the usual Jennifer Coolidge character but with a lower voice range.  Just so enjoyably camp.  Here she is a slightly crazy aunt who decides to direct the local children's Christmas pageant.  On her direction, the pageant will be using a script she has penned and which is titled, Jesus H. Christ.  Slowly but surely, because she does not find the chosen children actors sufficiently emotive, she takes over the many of the children's lines so that really on stage the kids are mostly costumed creatures.  And for some reason for the actual production she is costumed in full-scale Glinda, the Good Witch, only with really big breasts.  Another time is when one of Peter's sisters wants Aunt Sandy to include Peter in the production to help set him up with someone.  The sister believes he would be good at it simply because he is gay.  Coolidge states that she will include Peter to take lessen the strain on her of producing this children's production but it's not just that the gays know theater.  It's because the gays just know how to do stuff.  They're survivors.  And for some reason they're always obsessed with me.  I don't know why but I like it.          

jennifer-coolidge-steals-the-show-in-new

9 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Isn't Jennifer Coolidge  playing a role that will remain folks of her over acting as n "The White Lotus?"

How is Luke McFarland? Naked?

I don't believe that Luke McFarland is ever naked in this fake story.  He tries to be but no, the main character is not going for it.  HOWEVER, the (boy)friend/roommate (Philemon Chambers) is given a near naked chance and he is lovely.  

Jennifer Coolidge and her acting/non-acting is definitely the best thing about Netflix's holiday fare.

It isn't great, but is likable.

The SF Chronicle writes about it positively (paywall):

https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/movies-tv/review-single-all-the-way-might-be-the-first-truly-gay-holiday-movie

sfgate.com kind of likes it too:

https://www.sfgate.com/streaming/article/Netflix-Single-All-Way-review-Jennifer-Coolidge-16672634.php

Edited by Lucky

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2021 at 3:27 PM, E.T.Bass said:

Loved Jennifer Coolidge.  Luke McFarland looked good!

This movie is like a Hallmark Xmas production, but with bigger name talent.    And that's OK. 

But the story is pretty far fetched.  Maybe I just wasn't in the mood.  I wasn't convinced to care about Peter's love life.

I've been in LUST for Luke McFarland since Brothers and Sisters, but it was like his face was novacained. It was the same quizzical smile scene after scene.  Coolidge is too much for me. But when Philemon Chambers' Nick says he misses his family I lost it.  I've outlived or lost touch with mine.  My partner's family is large and loving and I love them but they're Buddhist and in Malaysia. It's not quite the same.  This at least beat reruns of Lawrence Welk.