Best Movie you have watched in 2021

MikeT
This topic is 791 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It's a series but the best acting I've seen was in about half the episodes of Succession. Of course Jeremy Strong is amazing psychologically as a mental odyssey but the characters who play Shiv and Roman also are amazing along with a dozen others. But the peaks make other episodes seem blah. I sure hope Kendall gets out of the pool tomorrow !!! America's on pins and needles over this. 😨

In actual movies, the acting by the main characters in Power of the Dog is amazing, more so for the wife, the son and the brother I think, but Phil (Cumberbatch) is definitely complex. Personally I think Nicholas Cage in Pig is under-rated as is Jake Gyllenhaal in The Guilty. I actually liked Jake a little better than the also-great Danish original and I think the racial troubles last year caused The Guilty to be ignored. Cumberbatch is outstanding in The Courier OTOH I'm not sure how Will Smith's "acting" or the story in King Richard is remotely competitive.  I'll see how the new Macbeth is reviewed before i venture into it but I'm skeptical. I plan to enjoy Belfast when it's not $20 but don't expect to be awed. 

For a happy holiday-ish movie this year I really like The Electrical Life of Louis Wain. Great warm true story. Cumberbatch has  4 hits this year. 

After Nine Perfect Stangers I've got Nicole Kidman overload though and may just skip The Ricardos thing until I can forget the 9 Strangers "acting".  

spacer.png

Edited by tassojunior

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, samhexum said:

Deadpool (the first one).  I'm not a movie-watcher and don't know if I've even watched 5 all year. (The 2 Deadpools, Shang-Chi recently, and I don't remember if I watched anything else)

I remembered I also recently watched Crazy Rich Asians and the Awkwafina movie about the family that travels to China to visit the grandmother who doesn't know she's dying.

So that's at least 5 I watched in 2021.  And one of them was actually from 2021.

Edited by samhexum
Just for the hell of it.

My Country: The New Age~ 

Second place: BajiRao Mastani

Third places: (a tie)… History of Alexander the Great & The History of the Wei Dynasty~ 

Best three books: 

1). The Secret History of the Mongols~

2). Tattvartha Sutra~

3). Sun Tzu’ The Art of War~

4). The Autobiography of Ben Franklin

Edited by Tygerscent

• 2 weeks later...

I still like Power of the Dog as best movie although I haven't seen Belfast or Drive My Car yet. 

More important are the surprises that could (should) shake the conventional wisdom up. Kristen Stewart in Spencer (the story of Diana) is excellent, as is Nicholas Cage in Pig. They'd be my Best Actress/Best Actor picks. The Last Duel and The Green Knight are excellent....no amazing,  films of famous medieval stories, even if history and old stuff are out of fashion now. 

Edited by tassojunior

On 12/11/2021 at 1:02 PM, tassojunior said:

It's a series but the best acting I've seen was in about half the episodes of Succession. Of course Jeremy Strong is amazing psychologically as a mental odyssey but the characters who play Shiv and Roman also are amazing along with a dozen others. But the peaks make other episodes seem blah. I sure hope Kendall gets out of the pool tomorrow !!! America's on pins and needles over this. 😨

In actual movies, the acting by the main characters in Power of the Dog is amazing, more so for the wife, the son and the brother I think, but Phil (Cumberbatch) is definitely complex. Personally I think Nicholas Cage in Pig is under-rated as is Jake Gyllenhaal in The Guilty. I actually liked Jake a little better than the also-great Danish original and I think the racial troubles last year caused The Guilty to be ignored. Cumberbatch is outstanding in The Courier OTOH I'm not sure how Will Smith's "acting" or the story in King Richard is remotely competitive.  I'll see how the new Macbeth is reviewed before i venture into it but I'm skeptical. I plan to enjoy Belfast when it's not $20 but don't expect to be awed. 

For a happy holiday-ish movie this year I really like The Electrical Life of Louis Wain. Great warm true story. Cumberbatch has  4 hits this year. 

After Nine Perfect Stangers I've got Nicole Kidman overload though and may just skip The Ricardos thing until I can forget the 9 Strangers "acting".  

spacer.png

Yes, I have a man crush on Jeremy. I even bought the same Loro Piana cashmere cap.... lol