tick, tick...BOOM, Director Lin-Manuel Miranda

E.T.Bass
This topic is 870 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This morning, I streamed Lin Manuel-Maranda's  tick, tick, BOOM,.  Glad I did.

This is a musical about a musical, starring Andrew Garfield.  

I was surprised Garfield can sing.  The quality of his voice reminded me of Ewan McGregor in Moulin Rouge!.  Nicely done.  Garfield is awesome.

A great cast!   Slate has a piece on all the fun cameos and references.

The movie is based on a Broadway writer from days gone by.   I recommend it.

spacer.png

5 hours ago, E.T.Bass said:

The movie is based on a Broadway writer from days gone by.   I recommend it.

Jonathan Larson, who wrote Rent,  and died at his home in the early morning hours of January 25, 1996, the day of its first Off-Broadway preview performance.

Edited by samhexum
Just for the hell of it.

Unfortunately I expected much better.  While there were some scenes that were very well directed (e.g., the diner sequence where the front of the diner lifts down to become a dance area), it is unfortunate that the best song in my estimation is the one that pretty much directly mimics the 20th century's preeminent musical composer (probably to show how much Larson's admiration for him).  The rest of the music is fairly mediocre.  I do agree however that most of the cast was really good with great voices.  

• 2 weeks later...

I found the movie moderately interesting. I did skip through some of the songs...meaning fast forward, not literally skipping!

Also:

Academy Award nominee Andrew Garfield, who portrayed theater composer Jonathan Larson in "tick, tick…BOOM!" will receive the Desert Palm Achievement Award, Actor at the Palm Springs International Film Awards. 

The Film Awards will take place in person on Jan. 6, 2022, at the Palm Springs Convention Center, with the film festival running through Jan. 17. The 2021 festival and film awards were canceled last November due to the COVID-19 pandemic. desertsun.com

I hadn’t felt this much joy from watching a movie in a very long time. Robin de Jesus also made me cry. It was also a delight every time a theater person that I recognized appeared on screen.

Although Sunday was a treat to watch, my favorite songs were Come to Your Senses and Louder Than Words. Alexandra Shipp was a revelation to me and I now have much more appreciation for Vanessa Hudgens and the actress/vocalist she has become. Of course all theater performers were spectacular as expected. 

Entertaining and spotting the cameos was fun.  Stephen Sondheim has a brief voiceover as himself on a phone call.  Lin Manuel Miranda told the story on at least one TV show that Sondheim had seen an early version of the movie and commented that he would never had said in a phone message what the character Sondheim said in the movie. LMM edited out the line and allowed Sondheim to record a remembrance of the call he actually did make.