Excessive Sweating Solutions?

dentjusay
This topic is 888 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey everyone.

I've dealt with excessive sweating pretty much since middle school. Most of the sweat comes from my face, hands, armpits, and feet. When relaxing at home, my sweating is completely non-existent, and I have no problems. My embarrassing moments have mostly come from school or work as my hands and armpits tend to sweat a lot more than my other areas, which can obviously create awkward moments when interacting with people. 

I am currently in the interview phase of applying for medical schools, and I am so relieved they are all virtual interviews this cycle. After a recent interview, my dress shirt was COMPLETELY SOAKED under the armpits and my hands were more than wet. I've thought more and more about this issue especially since I don't want to be self-conscious about this when I interact with patients. 

I've tried many antiperspirants and prescribed glycopyrrolate tablets, but have seen no significant improvements and any improvements appear to be temporary. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience similar to mine or recommend a long-term or permanent solution. I've heard about botox injections, but don't want to be getting injections every year. I'm currently thinking of surgical procedures like sympathectomies and plan to discuss this with my PCP. Thanks for any advice or help! 👍🏼

3 hours ago, dentjusay said:

Hey everyone.

I've dealt with excessive sweating pretty much since middle school. Most of the sweat comes from my face, hands, armpits, and feet. When relaxing at home, my sweating is completely non-existent, and I have no problems. My embarrassing moments have mostly come from school or work as my hands and armpits tend to sweat a lot more than my other areas, which can obviously create awkward moments when interacting with people. 

I am currently in the interview phase of applying for medical schools, and I am so relieved they are all virtual interviews this cycle. After a recent interview, my dress shirt was COMPLETELY SOAKED under the armpits and my hands were more than wet. I've thought more and more about this issue especially since I don't want to be self-conscious about this when I interact with patients. 

I've tried many antiperspirants and prescribed glycopyrrolate tablets, but have seen no significant improvements and any improvements appear to be temporary. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience similar to mine or recommend a long-term or permanent solution. I've heard about botox injections, but don't want to be getting injections every year. I'm currently thinking of surgical procedures like sympathectomies and plan to discuss this with my PCP. Thanks for any advice or help! 👍🏼

The fact that you do not have a sweating issue when relaxing at home could suggest an anxiety issue.  Sometimes these exist without other noticeable symptoms - almost like our bodies are working hard to deal with the stress/anxiety so that we can function normally otherwise.  It may be wise to check into this with your doctor, because if you do have an undiagnosed anxiety issue it could also be affecting other things in the long term, like concentration, blood pressure, etc.   I'm not a doctor, so please take my words for whatever they may be worth.