FF Miles Higher Than Ever

Lucky
This topic is 901 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have lots of airline miles, but they aren't worth nearly what they used to be worth. I have tried multiple itineraries and just can't find decent mileage on a Business Class trip. Both of us went round trip to Asia in business a few years ago. To go now, the mileage is doubled! And with COVID, you may not find the place the same.

Anyone found any good deals?

On 10/26/2021 at 7:28 PM, Lucky said:

I have lots of airline miles, but they aren't worth nearly what they used to be worth. I have tried multiple itineraries and just can't find decent mileage on a Business Class trip. Both of us went round trip to Asia in business a few years ago. To go now, the mileage is doubled! And with COVID, you may not find the place the same.

Anyone found any good deals?

That's certainly true of Delta Biz where their reward rates for Biz or First are eye-watering. But demand for business is way down now with the business world closed up and I see a lot of United Biz 60K's to Europe and American 57.5K's still around. I noticed United biz drops rapidly close-in. Airlines are largely replacing many of their biz seats with Premium Select seats now which are like old biz seats--much wider and 45-degree reclining with footrest, extra leg room and better food. 

I have to go to London next month and the only deal I found was Delta in steerage for 32K roundtrip. All Delta's specials are coach only. But off-peak in the very back of the plane I often can get 1 or 2 empty seats next to me to lay down if not sleep. Many friends rave about biz rewards on Singapore Airlines being very cheap, even on partners. 

Inflated FF balances are a thing these days with all the credit card points mounting up and no flying for 18 months, and I'm no different on that count. They're mainly on Qantas and it has been hit and miss looking for rewards for trips I'm considering, although promising on US domestic sectors. Flights SYD-LAX are available in Y for 42K each way, but premium cabins, and with connections to SYD and from LAX less so. It often seems that point to point domestic flights here are the most cost-effective use of points.

I also have Amex membership rewards points that I could transfer, but not to a US carrier from my Australian Amex account. I'm looking at signing up to SQ's Kris Flyer (which I can transfer them to) as an account to use for Star Alliance flights. Some of the best J-class paid fares from here to the US are on Asiana, and the SQ flight to JFK via Frankfurt is often competitive. Also, I've added the SIN-EWR non-stop to my bucket list

Qantas had its biggest points redemption day on record last week when it announced it was ramping up international flights from Sydney and Melbourne, half a billion or a billion points, I think they said.

With almost all programs in the US now aimed at those willing to spend on a branded CC to achieve status, the days of super-saver mileage fares are coming to an end.  There's just not as much premium class space available.  A lot of flyers are now paying for those F and J tickets.

American is reportedly about a month away from devaluing their miles (again).  Like I've always said, it never pays to hold onto a large amount of mileage.  Spend them quickly and get as close to a nickel a mile as possible. 

On 10/28/2021 at 12:50 AM, mike carey said:

I also have Amex membership rewards points that I could transfer, but not to a US carrier from my Australian Amex account. I'm looking at signing up to SQ's Kris Flyer (which I can transfer them to) as an account to use for Star Alliance flights. Some of the best J-class paid fares from here to the US are on Asiana, and the SQ flight to JFK via Frankfurt is often competitive. Also, I've added the SIN-EWR non-stop to my bucket list

Singapore KrisFlyer is a bargain for United or Star Alliance biz flights to the US.

With J demand shrinking because of lockdowns, Premium Select is the new "thing". Airlines are ripping out biz and 1st seats to install reclining wide-width domestic US 1st seats. I just got a RT DC to London on Delta for 32K (plus $200fee) and a pop-up offered me PS on the flight to London for an additional $250. I grabbed it. Delta seems to have the best of the new PSs with 1st class meals on china, free booze, 2 suitcases, and a dedicated flight attendant. Delta's famous for cheap upsells of Premium Select when booking.