Long Distance Moving

Doe Be Doe
This topic is 910 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I apologize if this has been discussed before.

I am about to undertake a long distance move. I have questions for anyone with experience in these matters. I have two cats so I'll drive. It's about a 14 hour drive. I'll probably stop for the night. Any thoughts on traveling with cats?

My furniture will arrive about two weeks after me. Should I just buy an air mattress and stay on it or is there something more comfortable? I'll probably buy a new tv to have entertainment.

Any other thoughts or advice?

Thanks.

Air bed good idea- stores small for guests when you get your new bed

I have my own reservations about cats in cars - and as things are being packed, they will know something’s afoot. (They just do…) Have a bag in car with stuff for cleaning up any messes. 

You can call or click ahead to mid-way motels re pet policy.  Shouldn’t be impossible. Good luck!!🍀

I recently moved moved from Texas to the Midwest. Your situation sounds exactly like mine, minus the pets.   I purchased an auto-inflatable air mattress from Dicks Sporting Goods which I slept on for three nights.  It wasn’t too bad.  The air mattress also also self-deflated.  It only cost $50.00. 

Your life will be disrupted and inconvenienced for 3-4 months until you set up shop again......internet set-up, new banks, new drivers license, change of address notifications (I had 40], etc.  I’d recommend making an Excel spreadsheet with the following columns or something that fits your needs:

1) Task

2) Company/Business Entity

2) Date Contacted

3) Date Completed

4) Phone number

5) Notes

Banking takes a while to transition over.  If you’re on Social Security it will take two months to redirect direct deposit to a new banking institution.  Change of address done online with the USPS took thirty days to become effective.  I think it’s better to just go to a post office in person and turn in a COA.  

Be prepared to incur a lot of additional expenses....title transfer of vehicle to new state.  This can be expensive depending on the state.  Applying for a new drivers license may require proof of American citizenship.  My state had a list of acceptable documentation, I.e. bank account, utility bill, passport, birth certificate, etc.  Utilities may require a deposit.  

Dont forget to register to vote.  Usually a simple process.  At least it was for a me.

There’s lots more to consider but this is turning into a novel.  Good luck in your move.  

I think we need to get back on topic.  The OP asked for suggestions and things to consider about a long move across country.  

And, yes! I’m aware I swayed off topic but only to counter Mr. Nicholas’ inappropriate comment demonizing California.  

BACK ON TOPIC GUYS....Hints and suggestions about a cross country move. 

To the OP:

Here are some other items to consider:

1.  Income tax considerations.  You may well be filing partial year state income tax returns in two states.  This can be tricky.  Make sure you establish a beginning date of residency in your new state.  Consult a tax professional if needed.  Your federal return shouldn’t be impacted.  

2.  I’m not sure if you’re on Medicare.  If you are you’ll need to check and make sure your Part D coverage is still valid in your new location.  I’m fuzzy on this but when I moved I had to change drug coverage providers. Also, if there is a medigap policy to consider check to see if it’s valid in your area.  I think premiums are based on state and zip code.  I’m the first to admit I’m not an expert on Medicare but if this affects you then I would do some research.

3.  Transfer you car insurance to your new location.  Might be cheaper.  Maybe not.  My auto premiums went from $600 to $217.  Same coverage.  

4.  Finally, allow yourself some time to get frustrated.  Moving is a trying experience under the best of circumstances.  Again, best of luck. 

Edited by Beancounter

I've moved within my province in Canada, between provinces and overseas and back during my lifetime. It started when I went away to university graduate school and continued up until after my retirement from working. I've also had a house in Florida for 5 years which I used in the winter and that involved two moves as well, both moving in and leaving.

I'm glad I did these things when I was younger; I wouldn't relish the thought now that I am over 70. I've often had pets in these moves including moving a cat to Europe and back 4 years later. The essential thing is to be organized and anticipate what will be required to make the move as painless as possible. 

I wouldn't try to drive a 14 hour trip in one day. Even when I was driving by myself to Florida from Montreal, a 27 hour drive, I would split it into three days to avoid driver fatigue. I can take my dog anywhere in a car, as was the case for my previous two dogs, but my cat was another matter. She hated the movement of the car. But she was fine on a plane, although I did give her a little tranquillizer to ease the 14 hour journey with two changes of planes.

Moving is an exciting time and you should approach it with a sense of anticipation and openness to new experiences, new people and places to become familiar with in your new home. I hope you have a good idea of the place you are moving to by having visited it before and spending a little time there.

When we moved from Pennsylvania to California, we took a week to do the drive, partly because we had our cat with us. He was a very quiet, easygoing old housecat (14 years), but you don't want a cat loose in the car. He stayed in his crate on the back seat, but we had to stop regularly to give him a chance to move around in the car and avail himself of the litter box that was on the floor of the back seat; we brought enough fresh litter and bags to dispose of the litter each day, because we didn't want to be driving in an enclosed vehicle with an unchanged litter box day after day. Feed him what he is used to at his regular times. Bring enough bottled water, because you don't want to keep giving him water from new local sources all the time, which might upset his digestive system. If you stay overnight anywhere along the way, make sure he can't get out of the motel room, and try not to leave him alone in the room, even if it means bringing your own food or getting fast food take-out to eat in the room or the car. Check to make sure the room doesn't have a bed so low to the floor that he can get out and hide under it when it's time to leave. If he has his own bed, bring it with you.

Although we arrived two weeks before our furniture, there were chaises longues outside by the pool; we brought them inside and slept on them in sleeping bags which we brought with us. If you are not used to sleeping in a sleeping bag, google the nearest sporting goods store to your new residence and buy an inflatable mattress when you arrive. If you don't have a sleeping bag, remember that you will need at least a blanket and a pillow on that inflatable mattress.

That tv may not work for entertainment until you can get a hook-up, so bring a good book.

When I moved from Kansas City to Northern Virginia 15 years ago, I moved with zero furniture.  If it did not fit in the back of my 1996 Plymouth Breeze, it did not come with me.  

That meant when I first arrived, I had basically nothing...  it was a trip to Walmart for an inflatable mattress, some paper plates, plasticware, and basic toiletries.  

Until I could get a full TV, etc...  it was watching pirated movies downloaded on my laptop.  

The first year sucked!

@Doe Be Doe  There are vlogs on YouTube discussing travel with cats.

Maybe you've already looked at some. 

I watch this guy.  He might answer questions.

Kudos for bringing your cats with to your new life.

I have moved cross country with dogs.   I knew they'd be a handful.  It's the nature of the beast(s).  

Hope all goes well with your move.

We moved from Massachusetts to Oregon last year. We flew and had the car shipped using a carrier transport company. Made things so much easier.

Our air mattress experience was a big fail. It kept needing to be pumped up every 5 hours. Order a mattress and have it arrive before your furniture comes 

Expect everything to take longer than you think. Our furniture came a week late. And getting things fixed in the new place took a whole lot longer too. Make sure you have tools with you for common repairs. You’ll need them.

Cash May be out of favor but I found it handy to have plenty on hand for tips and things. We wound up staying in a hotel the first 3 days of our arrival and it was well worth it.

Good luck with your move

1 hour ago, friendofsheila said:

I like this advice best.

Yes, reminded me of my sister and her partner who drove to Florida every winter until the pandemic. One time their cat got up into the box spring under the bed in a motel on the I-95 and they had a heck of a time getting him out when it was time to leave in the morning.

Edited by Luv2play

If you can, leave cats with a friend they like, and make arrangements for them to fly out there after you’re somewhat settled.  I was the friend, and after a few weeks, just put them in the pet carriers, and took them the air cargo office.  Arrived safe and sound.  

Also gives you the option to consider selling the car then buying new there-and flying to your new home, or shipping the car.  If you still drive, you can go at your pace vs. tied to the cats’ needs.

Edited by bashful

I sent the cats on United.  They didn’t ride in the cabin, they went into the cargo area portion that is climate controlled with oxygen.  Airlines often transported dogs and cats back in the 90s when we did that.   Sometimes airlines won’t accept pets on certain aircraft in summer.  If there is an airline that flies nonstop between your cities, give them a call.  Only one up and down, but they should be able to handle it if the cats need to change planes.

I've made long moves many times, with a cat and a dog. I put my cat in a cat kennel carrier and she did fine. Prior to the move I would take drives with her in the carrier to get her used to it.

Air mattresses are great to have around the house so yes, get one.

I think I'm done with moving now, but there's nothing like the thrill and excitement of discovering a new place.