Steak Cut Question.....

azdr0710
This topic is 903 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

mention of BOA Steakhouse   by @Epigonos in the "what to do near LAX" thread reminded me that I'm certainly no expert on steak cuts and the pros/cons of each......I know that "bone-in" apparently means more flavor, but have never been drawn to that cut because I'd rather eat meat and not have some bone in the way.....and I know marbled can mean flavor, but I think? it's not as healthy and seems somewhat "synthetic"?.....and I think KC = NY depending on what part of the country you're in??!!.....of course, I don't like gristle and fat on the edge of some steaks I've ordered......seems like when I take the server's suggestion re: my dream steak, I still have to trim off gristle, fat, etc. and, when done, there seems to be lots of junk still on the plate! 

what cut should I order if I want pure edible steak (and nothing else) that practically cuts with a fork and tastes like steak....and which, when done, leaves no "detritus" on the plate!.....(no gristle, fat, junk, bone)........I realize there are trade-offs regarding flavor, tenderness, bones, temperature, etc. and some detritus may be necessary....I typically order steaks medium-well.......

thanks

12 minutes ago, azdr0710 said:

any advice if I back off to medium??!!

I always tend to go back to a nice New York as a go-to. Filet achieves your no gristle preference and is most tender, but sacrifices flavor. Top Sirloin a favorite for flavor, but you’ll have to deal with some fat/gristle. NY is a good pick.

A good bone-in NY (often called Kansas City strip steak) is one of my favorite bone-in cuts. I do dry age primal ribeye cuts at home, but almost always prepare that as côte de boeuf.

Yes, prime grade makes a difference over choice. Forget select and lower grades.

I usually prefer my meat to have a bone and as for steak, I prefer a bit of grizzle and so like the rare to medium rare New York Strip steak.  Also you do not have to worry about flavor if you do anything above medium as the flavor has been just about cooked out it by then.

Edited by purplekow

1 hour ago, MikeBiDude said:

I always tend to go back to a nice New York as a go-to. Filet achieves your no gristle preference and is most tender, but sacrifices flavor. Top Sirloin a favorite for flavor, but you’ll have to deal with some fat/gristle. NY is a good pick.

A good bone-in NY (often called Kansas City strip steak) is one of my favorite bone-in cuts. I do dry age primal ribeye cuts at home, but almost always prepare that as côte de boeuf.

Yes, prime grade makes a difference over choice. Forget select and lower grades.

When are you cooking for me?

4 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

what cut should I order if I want pure edible steak (and nothing else) that practically cuts with a fork and tastes like steak....and which, when done, leaves no "detritus" on the plate!....

What you're looking for is filet mignon, or chateaubriand.

http://www.steak-enthusiast.com/8-of-the-most-expensive-cuts-of-beef-you-never-knew-you-had-to-have/

"Filet mignon is taken from the small end of the tenderloin (called the short loin) and is known as the “king of steaks.”  It can often be cut with a fork, it’s so tender."

https://www.gordonramsayrestaurants.com/inspiration/how-to-order-a-steak-like-a-pro/

"Filet is highly prized and premium-priced because (as with Chateaubriand) the muscle does not do a lot of work during the animal’s life and is therefore extremely tender. Some people prefer cuts with a stronger flavour and will happily sacrifice a little of fillet’s tenderness for it. The tail end of the fillet is the proper cut for steak tartare."

Edited by Unicorn

11 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

what cut should I order if I want pure edible steak (and nothing else) that practically cuts with a fork and tastes like steak....and which, when done, leaves no "detritus" on the plate!.....(no gristle, fat, junk, bone)........I realize there are trade-offs regarding flavor, tenderness, bones, temperature, etc. and some detritus may be necessary....I typically order steaks medium-well.......

thanks

Very good question! My preferred cut that fits the above requirements is the cut known in the USA as the "Flat Iron Steak". It's tender, juicy because of it's wonderful marbling throughout and even though I make mine well done it still is very juicy and never dry. No fat to trim, no bones and nothing left on the plate. It so flavorful it requires little season too. I usually just use some course kosher salt and some cracked pepper. I then add a drop of olive oil to a very hot iron pan and brown one side then flip it and then the other. I press it with a spatula (chefs use a flat iron like used for burgers on a grill) and lower the heat and keep cooking it on both sides till desired doneness. Hope you like it and bon appetit! 

Edited by Danny-Darko

Me:  Ribeye.  Bone-in, if possible.

Medium rare (at most).  Most longtime grill guys will say anything more is ruining a good cut of beef.

Filet is overrated.  It's usually overcooked, as it has little fat content and because of that, is just a boring flavor profile.

If you have to put sauce or huge pats of butter on your steak, you're doing it wrong.  You want to taste the red meat, the quality of it, the aging process. 

A steakhouse that pushes servers to recommend things over their steak is one that I don't trust.

11 hours ago, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

Me:  Ribeye.  Bone-in, if possible.

Medium rare (at most).  Most longtime grill guys will say anything more is ruining a good cut of beef.

Filet is overrated.  It's usually overcooked, as it has little fat content and because of that, is just a boring flavor profile.

If you have to put sauce or huge pats of butter on your steak, you're doing it wrong.  You want to taste the red meat, the quality of it, the aging process. 

A steakhouse that pushes servers to recommend things over their steak is one that I don't trust.

Looking forward to your review of the “beyond meat” options!! 😋

17 hours ago, Epigonos said:

Whenever possible I order a prime rib eye steak blood rare.  I love the marbling and relish all the fat of prime meat.  I'm 81 today and if all that fat kills me anytime soon -- fuck it -- I've had one hell of a great life. 

That kind of fat is healthy, the outdated and debunked “food pyramid “ notwithstanding. If you have Type O blood, it’s even better for you.

I like USDA prime NY strips and ribeyes. I now do them exclusively in cast iron, five minutes on each side with simple salt and pepper, then let them rest in foil for ten minutes. I always bring the steaks to room temperature before cooking and make sure to dry them completely. There’s rarely any gristle or fat, which gets carmelized. 

My brother-in-law, who I absolutely adored, always claimed that filet was great for those who didn't have teeth and had to gum it -- it was that tender.  However, he claimed that its one major draw back was that is was flavorless.  Thus it was often wrapped in bacon or served with some sauce to add flavor.  I definitely agree.  Most everybody dismisses top sirloin but if one wants a less flavorful cut of beef that takes being wrapped in bacon or sauces well it works just fine.  Even though it is tougher than filet it has slightly more flavor.  I know some around here will find it hard to believe but I actually prefer top sirloin to fillet -- also the price is damn better. 

In recent years I have cut back on consuming beef but still indulge at least once a week. I like variety and will buy different cuts except for the cheaper ones such as blade as they require too much cooking to make them edible.

Here in Canada we have different grading standards which is biased towards less fat. So some think Canadian beef is less tasty than American cuts but it is the fat content which determines that. 

Canadians are generally less heavy than Americans so maybe it's in the beef we consume.