What's The Hardest Phrase To Say...For You And Why?

MysticMenace
This topic is 888 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

What's The Hardest Phrase To Say...For You?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What's The Hardest Phrase To Say...For You?

• I Apologize
    • I Need Help
    • I Need You
    • I Love You
    • I Was Wrong
    • Other (please reply with the other phrase and why)
    • None of These are Hard to Say...Just Say 'Em!

From “I’m sorry” and “I need help” to “I love you,” the hosts of The Real weigh in on some of the hardest phrases to say and the life experiences that have made them cautious because of it. How about you? What has been the hardest phrase for you to say, and why?

It is incredibly difficult for me to ask for help.  All the others you mention are easy in comparison.

P.S. The addition of the question adds a new aspect to the original question.  The reason it is difficult for me to ask for help is that I like to think of myself as "totally" independent and able to taking care of all my own need.  At times that is not possible yet I have extreme difficulty asking family members or friends to lend a helping hand.  I absolutely hate thinking of myself as dependent on anybody BUT myself.

Edited by Epigonos

“I feel Harry and Meghan are sincere and truthful”

The reason why: I find their moralizing attitude (‘do as we say, not as we do’) reprehensible as they are basically parasitic, making money from Harry’s inherited position while Meghan, a minor actress, used innuendo to smear the Royal Family after the Queen and others had done so much to ease her into married life. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2021 at 4:08 AM, MscleLovr said:

“I feel Harry and Meghan are sincere and truthful”

The reason why: I find their moralizing attitude (‘do as we say, not as we do’) reprehensible as they are basically parasitic, making money from Harry’s inherited position while Meghan, a minor actress, used innuendo to smear the Royal Family after the Queen and others had done so much to ease her into married life. 

Harry was young child when his .mother died. He hasn't had an easy life.

20 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Harry was young child when his .mother died. He hasn't had an easy life.

His mother wasn't there for him most of the time anyway, running around Paris and various other parts of the world and while it was sad, she was there for herself primarily.   Losing a mother is difficulty but when you belong to one of the wealthiest families in the world, it is a lot easier to adjust. 

Passed by an episode of The Love Boat on TV today.  Vivian Blaine was playing a member of the Women's Auxiliary of a Church married to Alana Young of Mr. Ed fame.  She finds out that the Pastor, Peter Graves of Mission Impossible is on the boat and sets him up with a woman she has met, Roz Kelley of Pinky Tuscadero fame on Happy Days.  Turns out the woman is an exotic dancer and Ms. Blaine is threatening to turn him into the Board of the Church.  That is until her husband, Alan Young  and inveterate gambler, threatens to leave her.  She comes to her senses and embraces his request to be a bit open minded and her husband gives up gambling and the slot machine jackpot he won to a young stowaway who is now able to pay for his ticket and avoid placing his father, Larry Storch from F Troop, in trouble with his employer, The Cruise Line.  

Love Boat was a terrible show with weak scripts, uninspired story lines and a syrupy happy ending for all on every show.  However, it does bring back stars from an even earlier age.  On this same show. June Allyson is a blind woman who is self absorbed, until her husband, Van Johnson forces her to face her limitations and though blind she is now able to see a future for her and him.  

So after all that, what is my hardest phrase to say?   It is. "I watched an entire Love Boat episode and I do not care who knows it"

Although I truly love my family members and friends-- it is quite difficult for me to say: "I love you."  I don't know why it's been difficult to say this over the many years that I've lived. 

Because I am acutely independent, it has definitely been hard for me to ask someone (family members or friends) to help me.  This has become quite apparent recently because as I have in another thread I have had problems with my sciatica for the past 2.5 months.  A few friends have offered, I've thanked them but declined.  Don't know what is wrong with me.

13 hours ago, FreshFluff said:

“I love you.” 
“I care about you.”

Even hearing others say these things is awkward for me. 

I'm guessing this has a lot to do with how we were brought up? My family was very affectionate and expressive. I even greeted first cousins on the cheeks 3 times. My parents told me they loved me a lot. Maybe more common in Catholic and Orthodox countries, and in the Netherlands?

In France, the number of kisses upon meeting depends on the département:

Nombre_de_bise%28s%29_en_France.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheek_kissing

"...In the former Yugoslavia, cheek kissing is also very commonplace, with your ethnicity being ascertainable by the number of kisses on each cheek. Typically, Croats and Bosniaks will kiss once on each cheek, for two total kisses, whereas Serbs will kiss once, but three times as a traditional greeting, typically starting at the right cheek. In Serbia and Montenegro, it is also common for men to kiss each other on the cheek three times as a form of greeting, usually for people they have not encountered in a while, or during the celebrations (wedding, birthday, New Year, religious celebrations, etc.).

In Bulgaria cheek kissing is practiced to a far lesser extent compared to ex-Yugoslavia and is usually seen only between very close relatives or sometimes between close female friends. Kissing is usually performed by people of the opposite sex and between two women. Men kissing is rare even between close friends and is sometimes considered offensive.

In Romania, cheek kissing is commonly used as a greeting between a man and a woman or two women, once on each cheek. Men usually prefer handshakes among themselves, though sometimes close male relatives may also practice cheek kissing.[5]

In Albania, cheek kissing is used as a greeting between the opposite sex and also the same sex. The cheek is kissed from left to right on each cheek. Males usually slightly bump their heads or just touch their cheeks (no kissing) so to masculinize the act. Females practice the usual left to right cheek kissing. Albanian old women often kiss four times, so two times on each cheek...

In France, cheek kissing is called "faire la bise". A popular French joke states that you may recognize the city you are in by counting the number of cheek kisses, as it varies across the country.[6] It is very common, in the southern parts of France, even between males, be they relatives or friends, whereas in the north (Langue-d'oïl France), it is less usual for two unrelated males to perform ′la bise′. (See Kissing traditions#Greetings.) The custom came under scrutiny during the H1N1 epidemic of 2009.[7]

In the Netherlands and Belgium, cheek kissing is a common greeting between relatives and friends (in the Netherlands slightly more so in the south). Generally speaking, women will kiss both women and men, while men will kiss women but refrain from kissing other men, instead preferring to shake hands with strangers. In the Netherlands usually three kisses are exchanged, mostly for birthdays. The same number of kisses is found in Switzerland and Luxembourg. In the Dutch part of Belgium, one kiss is exchanged as a greeting, and three to celebrate (e.g., a birthday). In Francophone Belgium, the custom is usually one or three kisses, and is also common between men who are friends.."