Nothing on Earth can have…

Coolwave35
This topic is 913 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My best friend and I were discussing a recent trip I took to Europe with a paid companion. 

I was telling her about the amazing spontaneity of it, sexual chemistry with the partner, loss of sense of time, shopping, newness and general level of excitement etc. 

I talked about how this trip differed from previous trips I had taken with my husband before we divorced. There was never a sense of lightness to any of those trips.  But, when we returned back to our home, there was an overwhelming sense of ahhhhhh this is where we belong  

She said nothing on earth can have roots and wings.  She said she believes we as humans crave stability over excitement and will always come back to the desire for it eventually.  

What do you guys think about that from a relationship standpoint? 

For those interested in sexy pics over philosophical discussion, here are some pictures of said companion before his pounding. 

D1A15FC2-50DE-4A5C-B2C0-BB567129157D.jpeg

F0124C3D-AB95-421D-9555-972B72E73028.jpeg

Hopefully I can revisit and reply to this thread in less than 2 years with an actual relationship to speak of, since all I have experienced has been the excitement side of things. Lol. Although knowing me, I would most probably be a "rooter." It may not end up being in the cards for me, but it does sound nice to grow and thrive with a partner for the long haul. But, if I'm really honest with myself, I would want both - I mean, why can't excitement be part of a stable relationship, right? But what do I know, haha.

2 hours ago, Coolwave35 said:

...There was never a sense of lightness to any of those trips.  But, when we returned back to our home, there was an overwhelming sense of ahhhhhh this is where we belong  

She said nothing on earth can have roots and wings.  She said she believes we as humans crave stability over excitement and will always come back to the desire for it eventually.  

What do you guys think about that from a relationship standpoint?...

While I do enjoy the roots associated with my home and my cats (a/k/a "the boys"), I don't feel drawn to a relationship other than those I have with friends and family/extended family. That said, I agree with your friend insofar as craving stability. While my trips are always fun, there is something special about returning home. I think being away from home makes me appreciate it. Plus...the cats!

1 hour ago, jeezifonly said:

Great descriptive terminology about the contrast. I think I am definitely a “rooter” as opposed to a “flyer” 

I guess I do appreciate time out of my home alone to take wing for a bit and survey the view, but return to the nest is almost always a relief. 

I soooooo agree with this.

5 hours ago, Coolwave35 said:

...What do you guys think about that from a relationship standpoint? 

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Are you wondering whether someone can be good to travel with and also good to live with? Or do you think it's just one or the other? I've been with a number of men I've both enjoyed traveling and living with, if that's what you're asking. 

I believe one can have the excitement and spontaneity in a relationship with wings and the support and security of one with roots.  You can even have both of those in the same person but you need to allow yourself to accept both of those aspects in that person and not come to pigeonhole your partner.  It also helps if you can be both of those things to them as well.  

So I disagree with your friend one can have roots and wings with one person.  It does take work though.  

Every time "regular" life gets to me I always think of Belle and this song (sometimes I even sing it out loud): 
i have moved ~ — disney meme: nine songs [8/9] Belle [Reprise]

But every time I get what I think will excite me, I can't live in the moment and enjoy it, always questioning it. Sometimes I think to myself maybe I don't belong here and then crave the stability I tried to leave.

I think as humans we want that stimulus when things get "boring" or are just doing the same thing over and over again, but the stability of true love and friendship is always what I find myself trying to find more than anything. I know deep down this is what I really want but am too afraid to admit it to myself. To find a place to call home with people who I truly care about and they me. 

Edited by Prime38