Marry me, babe! Same sex marriage to obtain "green card" and citizenship

robberbaron4u
This topic is 921 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

it's a temporary visa to stay here awaiting a green card if the marriage satisfies INS as legit. Once the green card is issued I don't think it can be revoked for a split, but i could be wrong. The whole process is long and expensive as it needs lawyers. Also pre-nups are expensive and not always enforced. 

1 hour ago, tassojunior said:

it's a temporary visa to stay here awaiting a green card if the marriage satisfies INS as legit. Once the green card is issued I don't think it can be revoked for a split, but i could be wrong. The whole process is long and expensive as it needs lawyers. Also pre-nups are expensive and not always enforced. 

I almost married my lyin' Paraguayan until I found out he was a liar and a cheat. I was going to have a pre-nup, although I cancelled a scheduled meeting with the lawyer when he wouldn't introduce me to the "Paraguayan friends" he said he had been meeting all of those week-ends (it ended up being another man). The lawyer I was about to meet seemed to think pre-nups are usually enforceable. Is that not the case? I'm now with a full-born US citizen.... 😉 I actually thought it was a loving relationship, though he may have just said that because he wanted a green card. The INS does look into these marriages carefully, including wedding photos, guest lists, inquiries regarding sexual preferences (who's top and who's bottom), and so on. 

Edited by Unicorn

2 hours ago, Unicorn said:

I almost married my lyin' Paraguayan until I found out he was a liar and a cheat. I was going to have a pre-nup, although I cancelled a scheduled meeting with the lawyer when he wouldn't introduce me to the "Paraguayan friends" he said he had been meeting all of those week-ends (it ended up being another man). The lawyer I was about to meet seemed to think pre-nups are usually enforceable. Is that not the case? I'm now with a full-born US citizen.... 😉 I actually thought it was a loving relationship, though he may have just said that because he wanted a green card. The INS does look into these marriages carefully, including wedding photos, guest lists, inquiries regarding sexual preferences (who's top and who's bottom), and so on. 

Being born in Italy (duh..) and having lived here for 15 years with renewed O Visas, 8 years ago I got married to my partner after 14 years together, and I obtained the Green Card 9 months afterwards. I know that if they smell something during the famous "Interview" (I remember a cute movie with Gerard Depardieu and Andie McDowell) the INS Agent asks weird questions but not in our case, definitely no questions about who was the top!

What made it clear to the Agent (who looked like a Gestapo Guard and behaved like one at the beginning of the Interview, very short with questions and cold) that it was for love was the Photos Album with 14 years together, growing up, pics with our mutual families, vacations together, birthdays, events.... She melted gradually looking at the pics, and even commented how cute we were, how beautiful the birthday cakes were...At the end she smiled and told us "What a nice couple"! 😊

11 hours ago, tassojunior said:

Pre-nups can be a tricky thing. There are various state specific requirements and you want to consult a good lawyer, so yes it can be expensive. Post-nups on the other hand is a different animal. More drama than legal. Yet some people will try... 😅