The man who fell to earth

samhexum

Man plunges nine stories from NJ high-rise, lands on BMW — and survives

A man plunged nine stories from a high-rise in Jersey City, New Jersey, landed on a BMW — and miraculously survived, according to officials and a witness.

The 31-year-old  crashed through the roof of the black Beemer 330i parked below 26 Journal Square at 10:20 a.m. Wednesday, then stood up with his right arm  dangling at his side  and asked, “What happened?” onlooker Christina Smith, 21, told The Post.

According to witnesses, the man plunged through the rood of the BMW and then quickly got back up.

“I heard a big boom and I didn’t think it was a person at first,” said Smith. “The back window of the car just busted out — exploded. Then the guy jumped up and started screaming. His arm was all twisted.”

“I was like, ‘Oh my God!’ I was shocked. It was like being in a movie,” said Smith, who works in sales and had been strolling to a nearby McDonald’s.

“He was like, ‘What happened?’ And was like, You fell,” she said.

“I was thinking, thank God, it probably helped that he had a fluffy jacket on,” she said, adding she thought  the coat may have shielded him from deeper wounds.

She quickly called 911, then took jaw-dropping photos and videos of the aftermath, including graphic footage of the man screaming in pain with upper body injuries. The video also shows a face mask strap still dangling from the guy’s ear, despite falling roughly 100 feet.

The man, who jumped from an open window on the ninth floor, was rushed to a hospital by ambulance and was in critical condition Thursday, said Jersey City spokeswoman Kimberly Wallace-Scalcione.

The man didn’t work inside building and it was unclear why he was there, workers and witnesses said. He has refused to give cops his name and was not being cooperative as of Thursday afternoon, according to a source familiar with the case.

“He fell into the car through the sunroof, then climbed out of the car and fell on the ground. He was trying to get up but people were trying to get him to stay down —‘You don’t know how hurt you are,’” said Mark Bordeaux, 50, who works in the building and saw the aftermath of the jump.

“So he stayed there until the police and ambulances came. He kept saying, ‘Leave me alone, I want to die.’ You saw one of his arms was clearly broken, but he was conscious, he was moving,” he said.

Edited by samhexum

8 hours ago, Luv2play said:

If someone had been in that car, they would have been killed. I hope this guy is charged with reckless endangerment. If he wanted to off himself, he should have found a way that would not harm others.

Yes, fortunately the car was unoccupied.  Also lucky that the noise & spectacle didn't cause an accident.  For any drivers passing by at the time of the boom, that is one hell of a distraction.

You gotta feel sorry for the owner of the BMW.  When your car is still new, even a little scratch is upsetting.  Imagine walking back to your car and seeing that!

I recall reading the NY Daily News as a teen.  There were two articles placed right next to each other.  One was about a Russian pilot who survived a 10000 foot fall from his plane as he landed on a snow covered mountain with a steep angle which allowed the fall to be less damaging.  The abutting article was about a NYC woman who fell off her 6 inch platform shoes while walking in the city and stuck her head and died.  

Have to admit the  picture here  is astounding.  

10 hours ago, Luv2play said:

If someone had been in that car, they would have been killed. I hope this guy is charged with reckless endangerment. If he wanted to off himself, he should have found a way that would not harm others.

Well, he could have at least aimed for the Yugo or AMC Gremlin! 😉 I don't think he thought he'd survive. If one's access to guns is restricted, I'd guess that falling from a height would seem to be a pretty sure bet for a successful suicide, and I'm sure he never thought he'd survive. I guess stepping in front of a moving train would be a surer way, but that would risk injuring and invconveniencing many more people. Of course, re-trying suicide when you're laid up in a hospital can be even more of a challenge. 

Body cast wheelchair zzzz | Meme Generator

17 hours ago, Luv2play said:

10 hours ago, caliguy said:

My biggest fear of falling from those heights is surviving to enjoy the pain and probably disablement for the rest of my life.  That's an amazing story though. That's a big time fall to survive. 

8 hours ago, purplekow said:

I recall reading the NY Daily News as a teen.  There were two articles placed right next to each other.  One was about a Russian pilot who survived a 10000 foot fall from his plane as he landed on a snow covered mountain with a steep angle which allowed the fall to be less damaging.  The abutting article was about a NYC woman who fell off her 6 inch platform shoes while walking in the city and stuck her head and died.  Have to admit the  picture here  is astounding.  

6 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Well, he could have at least aimed for the Yugo or AMC Gremlin! 😉 I don't think he thought he'd survive. If one's access to guns is restricted, I'd guess that falling from a height would seem to be a pretty sure bet for a successful suicide, and I'm sure he never thought he'd survive. I guess stepping in front of a moving train would be a surer way, but that would risk injuring and invconveniencing many more people. Of course, re-trying suicide when you're laid up in a hospital can be even more of a challenge.

• 3 months later...

31-year-old man who plunged 9 stories, landed on BMW in NJ released from hospital

The man who plunged nine stories from a New Jersey high-rise and landed on a BMW has recovered from injuries and was released from a hospital.

The 31-year-old — who smashed through the roof of a black BMW 330i parked below 26 Journal Square in Jersey City when he jumped — had been in critical condition in the days after his dramatic fall on Oct. 6.

But despite a mangled right arm, possible internal injuries and bloody gashes on his head, the guy left a treatment center in mid-December, said Kimberly Wallace-Scalcione, a spokeswoman for Jersey City.

“The man survived and was released from the hospital last month,” she said of the still-unidentified man. The federal health privacy law HIPAA prevented her from going into more detail about his current condition, she said.

Just moments after the man’s roughly 100-foot fall, he appeared to be badly injured but still talking and briefly walking. He stood up with his right arm dangling at his side and asked, according to a passerby said at the time, “What happened?”

“I heard a big boom and I didn’t think it was a person at first,” Christina Smith, 21, who shot footage of the aftermath. “The back window of the car just busted out — exploded. Then the guy jumped up and started screaming. His arm was all twisted.”

Video she filmed shows the jumper — who didn’t work inside the building, and later said he “wanted to die” — screaming in pain with upper body injuries, and a face mask strap still dangling from his ear.

The day after his plunge, authorities told The Post his condition was “now life-threatening,” but he pulled through and was released from the hospital after two months of treatment,  said Wallace-Scalcione.

The man was released from the hospital after two months of treatment.The man was released from the hospital after two months of treatment.

https://nypost.com/2022/01/28/new-jersey-man-who-jumped-9-stories-landed-on-bmw-released-from-hospital/

Edited by samhexum
Just for the hell of it.

6 hours ago, samhexum said:

31-year-old man who plunged 9 stories, landed on BMW in NJ released from hospital

The man who plunged nine stories from a New Jersey high-rise and landed on a BMW has recovered from injuries and was released from a hospital.

The 31-year-old — who smashed through the roof of a black BMW 330i parked below 26 Journal Square in Jersey City when he jumped — had been in critical condition in the days after his dramatic fall on Oct. 6.

But despite a mangled right arm, possible internal injuries and bloody gashes on his head, the guy left a treatment center in mid-December, said Kimberly Wallace-Scalcione, a spokeswoman for Jersey City.

“The man survived and was released from the hospital last month,” she said of the still-unidentified man. The federal health privacy law HIPAA prevented her from going into more detail about his current condition, she said.

Just moments after the man’s roughly 100-foot fall, he appeared to be badly injured but still talking and briefly walking. He stood up with his right arm dangling at his side and asked, according to a passerby said at the time, “What happened?”

“I heard a big boom and I didn’t think it was a person at first,” Christina Smith, 21, who shot footage of the aftermath. “The back window of the car just busted out — exploded. Then the guy jumped up and started screaming. His arm was all twisted.”

Video she filmed shows the jumper — who didn’t work inside the building, and later said he “wanted to die” — screaming in pain with upper body injuries, and a face mask strap still dangling from his ear.

The day after his plunge, authorities told The Post his condition was “now life-threatening,” but he pulled through and was released from the hospital after two months of treatment,  said Wallace-Scalcione.

The man was released from the hospital after two months of treatment.The man was released from the hospital after two months of treatment.

https://nypost.com/2022/01/28/new-jersey-man-who-jumped-9-stories-landed-on-bmw-released-from-hospital/

Hopefully some mental health treatment and counselling was provided as part of his medical care.

On 10/8/2021 at 10:57 PM, purplekow said:

I recall reading the NY Daily News as a teen.  There were two articles placed right next to each other.  One was about a Russian pilot who survived a 10000 foot fall from his plane as he landed on a snow covered mountain with a steep angle which allowed the fall to be less damaging.  The abutting article was about a NYC woman who fell off her 6 inch platform shoes while walking in the city and stuck her head and died.  

Have to admit the  picture here  is astounding.  

In 1972 a Serbian stewardess survived a 33,000 foot fall after the Yugoslav Airlines plane she was in exploded.  She apparently landed in a marsh and had many broken bones, but the only longterm issue was a limp.

• 7 months later...

THE MAN WHO DIDN'T FALL TO EARTH:

Gut-wrenching video obtained by East 2 West News captured the moment a man attempted to leap — but was saved — from an 11th-floor balcony.

The incident happened after a man and his girlfriend in Stavropol, Russia, were involved in an argument, according to reports from local law enforcement. He allegedly first attempted to throw her over the edge — a 120-foot fall — but failed.

Instead, he reportedly inflicted “bodily harm” on her.

The couple shared the balcony with neighbors who came outside when they heard screaming. As they came out, the man attempted to jump over the edge.

But the heroic neighbor grabbed his hand at the last second, and pulled him back over the balcony, where he was held until police arrived.

The man was also accused of greeting officials with foul language and resisting arrest. His bad day got worse as he was detained, and is now being investigated for suspected attempted murder. 

As for the woman, she was rushed to hospital at the scene. Her current condition is unknown.

https://nypost.com/2022/09/23/man-jumping-from-balcony-caught-at-last-second-in-terrifying-video/

On 10/8/2021 at 2:43 PM, samhexum said:

A man plunged nine stories from a high-rise in Jersey City, New Jersey, landed on a BMW — and miraculously survived, according to officials and a witness.

The 31-year-old  crashed through the roof of the black Beemer 330i parked below 26 Journal Square at 10:20 a.m. Wednesday, then stood up with his right arm  dangling at his side  and asked, “What happened?” onlooker Christina Smith, 21, told The Post.

According to witnesses, the man plunged through the rood of the BMW and then quickly got back up.

“I heard a big boom and I didn’t think it was a person at first,” said Smith. “The back window of the car just busted out — exploded. Then the guy jumped up and started screaming. His arm was all twisted.”

“I was like, ‘Oh my God!’ I was shocked. It was like being in a movie,” said Smith, who works in sales and had been strolling to a nearby McDonald’s.

“I was thinking, thank God, it probably helped that he had a fluffy jacket on,” she said, adding she thought  the coat may have shielded him from deeper wounds.

She quickly called 911, then took jaw-dropping photos and videos of the aftermath, including graphic footage of the man screaming in pain with upper body injuries. The video also shows a face mask strap still dangling from the guy’s ear, despite falling roughly 100 feet.

The man, who jumped from an open window on the ninth floor, was rushed to a hospital by ambulance and was in critical condition Thursday, said Jersey City spokeswoman Kimberly Wallace-Scalcione.

The man didn’t work inside building and it was unclear why he was there, workers and witnesses said. He has refused to give cops his name and was not being cooperative as of Thursday afternoon, according to a source familiar with the case.

“He fell into the car through the sunroof, then climbed out of the car and fell on the ground. He was trying to get up but people were trying to get him to stay down —‘You don’t know how hurt you are,’” said Mark Bordeaux, 50, who works in the building and saw the aftermath of the jump.

“So he stayed there until the police and ambulances came. He kept saying, ‘Leave me alone, I want to die.’ You saw one of his arms was clearly broken, but he was conscious, he was moving,” he said.

How unlikable must a man be, that after going to all the trouble of jumping to fall nine floors, God still doesn't want to see him and saves him anyway?

On 10/8/2021 at 2:43 PM, samhexum said:

Really sad, his survival is bittersweet in that in addition to the burden of the inspiration for his jump he incurred the financial obligation for a two-month hospital stay.

Hopefully, the BMW's owner was insurance adequate.

Edited by sync

• 3 weeks later...