Favela house wins prestigious architecture award for best design. Location, location, location?

marylander1940
This topic is 844 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Brazilian housekeeper's tiny house wins architecture award for best design | Fox News

A Brazilian maid’s house will be showcased at the world’s most prestigious architecture fair — Quartz (qz.com)

OP: Considering most of us own houses and equity is one of our greatest assets I thought it would be nice to share this once I discovered it wasn't from "The Onion".

spacer.png

Edited by marylander1940

• marylander1940 changed the title to Favela house wins prestigious architecture award for best design. Location, location, location?
6 hours ago, BnaC said:

A mortar rub might have softened the brutalist presentation.  But the functionality - particularly built around the courtyard and the garden - are amazing. 

even the electric cables are outside the wall to save time, money and manpower. Certainly a brutalist revival but in small proportions and "lofty" looking. 

This should be an example of affordable housing we could use in the big cities to face the issue of homelessness. 

I owned a Victorian brick house that was the same width, 16 feet, but originally only 37 feet deep until I added a 10 foot extension on the rear first floor. During a renovation before I bought it, the first floor had been altered to place the kitchen at the front and livinging room at the rear, off a nice garden. I was very happy living in that house for 20 years despite its compact size. Of course I had 3 levels, not just the one in this house. I've always had a thing for tiny houses, especially for single people. My current house is only a little bit bigger but has much more outdoor space for decks, gardens and a large garage.

• 2 months later...
53 minutes ago, bobbiearias said:

The design of this house is stunning. But for your house to have an excellent design, you need to choose the right home plans to suit you.

Thank you for your profound insight into this 2 month old thread, but……

It seems like bots that are smart enough to add on topic continent
(no matter how lame) should be smart enough not to fuck up the font size.

8 hours ago, samhexum said:

It's ironic (or at least a co-inky-dink) that this topic just popped up this early morning.  A few hours ago I signed 2 of my friends up for free subscriptions to Architectural Digest.  Cue The Twilight Zone theme!

I dropped my subscription to AD because there was hardly any architecture in it any longer--it was all interior design.

Our first house was an empty Victorian brickyard worker's row house in an urban neighborhood that was just beginning to gentrify when we bought it, exactly 50 years ago. It was 1000 sq ft, two stories, without a working bathroom (the outhouse was still standing in the back yard) or heating system. We renovated it ourselves and created a working 3 piece bathroom out of part of a bedroom. We paid $13,200 for the house, and lived in it comfortably for twelve years, before selling it for what we thought was the fantastic price of $82,000.

The house is still the same size as we left it, with only cosmetic changes to the interior. I just discovered that it was sold again two months ago, for $625,000.

2 hours ago, Charlie said:

I dropped my subscription to AD because there was hardly any architecture in it any longer--it was all interior design.

I used to buy AD years ago at the newsstand when they had articles on houses I liked. I still have all the copies I bought in the '70s and '80s. When I look at them now some of the interiors are still great and others very dated. The latter tended to be trendy designs at the time. The former were more classic, even if cottage looking. 

I didn't really buy them for ideas on architecture although some of the houses featured were great examples of a particular school or period. I incorporated some of the design ideas over the years in my own homes, of which I have only had a few.

The design of this house is stunning. But for your house to have an excellent design, you need to choose the right home plans to suit you. Choose a place with the number of residents and guests in mind. Think about how many guests you usually have in your home? How many people will be staying permanently, and how many will be staying temporarily (e.g., elderly parents visiting or relatives from abroad). If your family consists of 4 people - the ideal option, cost, and comfort is a single-story house with a living attic. Living rooms should be south-facing and utility rooms north-facing.

Edited by nazminahmednazmin2

My ideal home…

Small. 

Living ideal for one…room in the bed for 2 at most.  
Entertaining ideal for 4….expandable to 8 at most. 

Zen monastery….

image.jpeg.c1b20a234f74c0914033214e0e1f31a6.jpeg

meets Long Island Potato Barn….

image.png.28cce17d95a9ecfcb262005787dd2f91.png

meets Lenin’s Tomb…..

image.jpeg.79d9f889b95749f24913e9d88a17a245.jpeg

Painfully minimalist and sleek and gorgeous and functional. 

My poor architect…..wait until he hears about the Marie Antoinette “moving mirror room’"……

https://en.chateauversailles.fr/discover/estate/estate-trianon/petit-trianon#history-of-the-premises

Edited by nycman

On 12/3/2021 at 8:19 PM, Charlie said:

I subscribed to it for my spouse, because he was an architect. Neither of us cares as much about interior decor.

Interesting about your spouse. I studied architecture for two years but didn't complete the course. I put as much emphasis on how a house looks on the outside as in the interior since I spend a lot of time in both spaces, except for the winter.

I now live in the best house I have ever had for this combination. It's got the charm of a mid-19th century stone house on a large lot with inside space I modified a little to suit my needs, like turning a main floor bedroom into a library and enlarging the living room by 3 feet by subtracting from the former main floor bedroom.

And like a previous poster said, my house has the perfect orientation for rooms and outside decks taking advantage of sunlight during different times of the day.