Its A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - free on youtube

azdr0710
This topic is 938 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

definitely in my Top 10 favorite movies of all time.....though reviews are mixed and some complain of the over-the-top slapstick or the movie length, the overall result is legendary and the assembled cast talent nearly unbelievable......horror stories of production nightmares can be found, but the finished product is a hoot from start to the very finish.....

just the 4:10-minute opening credits and music (shown after an overture!) themselves are a tribute to Hollywood creativity that seems lacking these days.....included in the credits is this humorous note: "Our thanks and apologies to the following California communities: Agoura, Kernville, Long Beach, Malibu, Oxnard, Palm Desert, Palm Springs, Palos Verdes Estates, San Pedro, Santa Ana, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, Twentynine Palms, Universal City, Yucca Valley".  

Coachella valley residents and visitors will recognize the Palms To Pines Highway, California 74, in the opening scenes as it looked in 1962.....

playing free currently on Youtube!

Edited by azdr0710

I saw this in Cinerama at a fancy old movie palace when I was a kid. When Milton Berle turned Ethel Merman upside down to shake the car keys out of her cleavage, I was convulsed with laughter for 15m - or so I’m told. There are parts of it that still make me howl.
It’s of its time - lots of non PC humor, but with a cast that large, and there was not one who did not pull his/her weight - it’s the sort of picture that could never be done again. 
When I moved to LA I lived and worked on the PV peninsula and often drove by “The Big W”, which by then had lost a tree and looked like The Big N.

for IAMMMMW movie fans:

https://downtimedan.wordpress.com/2016/09/09/in-search-of-the-big-w/

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/its-a-mad-mad-mad-mad-world-1963-appreciation-thread.895925/

and there are a few websites/videos with IAMMMMW then-and-now filming locations....here's a youtube of one and he goes to see what remains of The Big W:

Edited by azdr0710

• 3 weeks later...