Queer Nationalism

Merboy
This topic is 981 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It's absurd but it's all I want.

A queer nation-state where millions and millions of people can be who they are and live in freedom... and sadly I see what's happening to our world and I know what's going to happen.

We've got to create our own world.  They had the right idea in the 1970s with the creation of gayborhoods.  What we've become is just not happy - we need to be with our own kind, and be as welcoming to anyone else that wants to join us - every letter, and all heterosexuals too.

The cities are gone - Boston, Manhattan, San Francisco - nearly dead.  They've become cities of wealthy elites and to be poor in them is absolute misery.  Something's got to change somewhere down the line.

2 hours ago, Merboy said:

A queer nation-state where millions and millions of people can be who they are and live in freedom... and sadly I see what's happening to our world and I know what's going to happen.

We've got to create our own world.  They had the right idea in the 1970s with the creation of gayborhoods.  What we've become is just not happy - we need to be with our own kind, and be as welcoming to anyone else that wants to join us - every letter, and all heterosexuals too.

The cities are gone - Boston, Manhattan, San Francisco - nearly dead.  They've become cities of wealthy elites and to be poor in them is absolute misery.  Something's got to change somewhere down the line.

On paper I agree with your sentiments, unless that paper is tucked inside a German History book.

Merboy the fact is NOTHING stays the same everything evolves.  What is interesting about the cities you mentioned Boston, Manhattan, and San Francisco plus many other large cities in that they all have liberal/progressive governments.  That isn't a political statement it is simply a statement of fact.  Now if you were to ask me what is the significance of that fact I would have to answer that I really don't know and that your guess is as good as mine. 

13 hours ago, Merboy said:

I can’t believe I’m reading this.  
Change the “labels” and you’ve described a hundred historical contexts to justify exclusion along racial, ethnic, religious, or political lines.   sooooo, wrong. 

On 8/8/2021 at 7:36 AM, BnaC said:

I can’t believe I’m reading this.  
Change the “labels” and you’ve described a hundred historical contexts to justify exclusion along racial, ethnic, religious, or political lines.   sooooo, wrong. 

The OP is referring to seemingly all gay neighborhoods disappearing because many gays are priced.

I agree that the message is confusing.

10 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

The OP is referring to seemingly all gay neighborhoods disappearing because many gays are priced.

I agree that the message is confusing.

You’re being generous in your interpretation, but I’ll let his words stand alone…but, I’m sorry, I don’t see reference to the gayborhood as being the objective….that’s one hell of a big gayborhood…with particular reference to “nationalism”

On 8/7/2021 at 5:19 PM, Merboy said:

Hell, a good portion of the members here can hardly accept that a “happily heterosexual” male could be here by choice

On 8/7/2021 at 5:19 PM, Merboy said:

we need to be with our own kind, and be as welcoming to anyone else that wants to join us - every letter, and all heterosexuals too.

However, I think @Merboyhas demonstrated his kind hearted nature here and I apologize to him if my rebuke caused him angst but hope it did cause him to ponder history’s precedent on such beliefs.  

13 minutes ago, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

With equality and assimilation come some tradeoffs.  That's life.

The goal, if I'm not mistaken, is a true melting pot. 

Regressing back into 'ghettos' is not what I consider progress.

I've lived in two gayborhoods: NYC's West Village in the mid-1980s & Boston's South End in the 1990s.  Both neighborhoods have since become so upscale that the largest demographic group shifted from gay to f*cking loaded, LOL. 

"Ghetto" is such a negative, depressing term, and I certainly never felt like I lived in a ghetto.  It was fun to see the neighborhood get great new restaurants, shops, and cafes.  It was also depressing to get priced out of both gayborhoods, but alas, all good things must come to an end.

6 hours ago, BnaC said:

You’re being generous in your interpretation, but I’ll let his words stand alone…but, I’m sorry, I don’t see reference to the gayborhood as being the objective….that’s one hell of a big gayborhood…with particular reference to “nationalism”

Hell, a good portion of the members here can hardly accept that a “happily heterosexual” male could be here by choice

However, I think @Merboyhas demonstrated his kind hearted nature here and I apologize to him if my rebuke caused him angst but hope it did cause him to ponder history’s precedent on such beliefs.  

You seem upset again

2 hours ago, WilliamM said:

You seem upset again

That’s your opinion and thank you for sharing it.  
But, your opinion couldn’t be farther from reality.  

Now, you might introspectively consider this question - why did you even think it was necessary to make that comment?  In doing so, you may actually find that it’s you who are upset. 

I think @Merboy that you’re looking back with rose-tinted spectacles at the past.

I recall NYC in the mid-70s when street crime and muggings occurred often. I too recall Boston’s South End in the mid-80s when violent crime was rife - I annoyed a gay friend who’d just moved into the area by pointing out all the chalk outlines of bodies as we went for a walk one morning (I genuinely had thought it was the work of a pavement artist). San Francisco was an unusual city then as it was characterized by a high level of random violence even in good areas.

Yes, living in all three cities was thrilling and exciting then. There was gay life and lots to do. Of course, I was younger then and I went out almost every night. Strangely I do not recall these cities being inexpensive then: property values and restaurant prices were always high.

Save for a couple of months in the Boystown section of Chicago's Lake View neighborhood, I've always lived in mixed/inclusive neighborhoods and loved them. To me, we have fought very hard to be included as we are in everyday life. To segregate ourselves back into enclaves is regressive and not progressive. 

As @MscleLovr points out, the gayborhoods were not always filled with rainbows and unicorns. Lake View was crime-ridden and parts were (and still are) broken-down. That's why it attracted marginalized gay people - they could afford to live there. Additionally, the gayborhood was not always welcoming of those who did not belong to a clique. It was very gratifying to me when I found gay bars and other gay-owned and gay-friendly businesses in predominately heterosexual neighborhoods. It made me feel safe and like I belonged to the larger community.

Perhaps my perspective would be different if I had grown up living in a small conservative town and moved to the big, scary city. However, growing up in Chicago it just felt odd that I'd confine myself to a neighborhood that was predominately any one group.

9 hours ago, WilliamM said:

For years I lived within a short walk to the gay neighborhood in Philadelphia. Recently, I moved further away and regret it.

Your description of where you lived sounded wonderfully vibrant.  Why’d you move?