Colorado Vacation/Ski Trip Suggestion

MysticMenace
This topic is 848 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Lol I may have spent way too much time being indecisive with where to go or stay in Colorado for vacation / learning to ski / relax in December. Planning to go with 2 other friends and one suggested that we go to either Vail or Breckenridge. The Beaver Run Resort looks like it's got the amenities I want in the same place (spa, hot tub, onsite restaurants), but was also looking through AirBnb, VRBO, and Marriott Home and Villas for lodging options, but not a fan of driving through snow (or maybe I can have one of my friends do the driving...idk, here goes my indecisions again). It also doesn't hurt if the area is close to some good gay bars or scenes.

Anybody here periodically go to Colorado in December? Any suggestions of where one (who is excited to learn how to ski but also love being pampered and enjoy a new city) should stay?

3 hours ago, JoeMendoza said:

Lol I may have spent way too much time being indecisive with where to go or stay in Colorado for vacation / learning to ski / relax in December. Planning to go with 2 other friends and one suggested that we go to either Vail or Breckenridge. The Beaver Run Resort looks like it's got the amenities I want in the same place (spa, hot tub, onsite restaurants), but was also looking through AirBnb, VRBO, and Marriott Home and Villas for lodging options, but not a fan of driving through snow (or maybe I can have one of my friends do the driving...idk, here goes my indecisions again). It also doesn't hurt if the area is close to some good gay bars or scenes.

Anybody here periodically go to Colorado in December? Any suggestions of where one (who is excited to learn how to ski but also love being pampered and enjoy a new city) should stay?

Vail can be relentlessly upscale,  including designer clothes. Still a good place to learn to ski. 

3 hours ago, JoeMendoza said:

I skiied for about 50 years but gave it up when we sold our family chalet near Mont Tremblant north of Montreal 8 years ago. During my 30s and 40s I did a lot of skiing in Europe. I came out as a gay man at 25 and I never found anyone in my gay circle of friends who skiied. So I skiied with straights. 

I never saw much of gay goings on at any ski resort I visited. It's a very family oriented sport in my experience. I think some gay groups organize weeks vacations for gays though if you want to be surrounded by gays at a resort.

There no gay bars or clubs at any ski resort in Colorado. There is no gay unless you go to a gay ski week or weekend. You can Google those; they hold events at local venues so it is gay for that event. I know Vail has a gay ski week. 

As for Colorado, some of my favorites are those some bit of a way from Denver: Steamboat and Crested Butte are among my favorites. Both have airports near them. Both have a range of accommodations and restaurants. The great thing about  them is that they don’t get the Denver weekend crowds.

You can also look at organized trips. Get Out and Trek (GOAT) organized them thru Feb 2020. Then the Pandemic hit. They might organize something in 2022. 

Thanks for the suggestions!

I was looking at Vail, Beaver Creek, Breck, coz that is what was suggested by one of my friends, but after doing research (and embarrassingly of the same resorts and AirBnbs in Colorado) for 5 nights straight, I ended up researching other places - Telluride, Big Sky, Whistler, Lake Louise, Jackson Hole, Steamboat, Killington - and got more overwhelmed with choices. I guess the thing is...we plan on going for 5 days, but my fear is if I end up just enjoying skiing for 1 or 2 days, I want other options or activities to do - even if it is not with my friends (should they decide to ski all 5 days).

My all time favorite ski resort was Verbier in Switzerland. It had everything in terms of terrain and beautiful vistas. Great restaurants on the hills and a classic Swiss Alps village vibe. I skiied with two straight friends from my high school, one I would have parted my legs for but obviously didn't. He was movie star in looks and a trust fund baby. Now I understand he is running the family trust, one of the largest in Canada.

I wouldn't be doing my hemispheric geographical duty if I didn't add some suggestions for you to look at once you get into the swing of this snow thing. I was never bitten by this bug, so disclosure there. Don't leave out Bariloche and Queenstown. I won't add places in Australia, it's cheaper for us to go to NZ and ski Queenstown than it is locally.

Edited by mike carey

Ski trips!

First, learning to ski sucks. You’re first trip isn’t going to be much fun.
Lots of falling and frustration. Just accept that. Trust me it gets way 
better, but the first trip is rough. 

Wherever you go, make sure there’s a great spa. You’re going to need it. 

I think the best "ski spa" in the world is at the Fairmont Banff Springs:
https://www.fairmont.com/banff-springs/
Sunshine mountain there is a great place to learn to ski as well. 
Lake Louise is too hard of a mountain on which to learn. 
Unfortunately, there’s not much else to do in Banff and zero nightlife.

The spa at the St Regis in Aspen is very good.
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/asexr-the-st-regis-aspen-resort/
I’m not a fan of the hotel, but there are tons of other places to stay in Aspen. 
Buttermilk mountain is the place to learn skiing there. 
Aspen nightlife is fun and there’s always something to do other than ski. 

Jackson Hole is much too hard for a beginner, town is far away and painfully
straight (even for a ski town). Telluride is boring as fuck. Vail…just don’t. 

There are no gay bars…in any ski towns…anywhere…I’ve looked. 

Ski instructors are much cheaper in Europe. The conditions are never as
good as the Rockies, but the atmosphere is unbeatable. Of course, the
problem is you have to get there and the snow will be iffy in December. 

Hope that helps. Have fun!

I'm going to suggest abandoning the skiing idea and instead embrace snow-boarding.   Snow Boarding explains the laws of gravity in great detail, periodically allows you to get up close and personal with nature (trees), and, well, used to be the most legal thing you could do in Colorado to elicit bouts of uncontrollable laughter...  the snow-board instructors are less about ballet and form (skiing) and more about embracing the ruggedness of life...  highly recommended...     You'll need to ensure you're in a resort where alcohol and hot-tubs are an option - you'll need them.

thanks for the ideas. @nycman thanks for the details here too...I was almost sold in going to Telluride and staying at the Mountain Lodge, but I may need to revisit that idea after your post. @keefer I never thought about snowboarding, but maybe I should. am prolly going to stick with north america for now but if and when I get the bug of enjoying this activity, might try out the locations in europe and nz. 

One thing you should keep in mind. Skiing can be a dangerous sport. Illuminaries such as Sonny Bono and one of the Kennedy's died by hitting trees. I always liked skiing above the tree line in the Alps as that eliminated one hazard at least. 

The other thing to remember is not to ski anything remotely challenging if you have had a liquid lunch. Your reflexes will fail you if they are required in a pinch.

The days of great snow in December ended 15 years ago.  Go in January or February.

Gay ski week in Aspen is fantastic, I've been many times.  And I'm not someone one who enjoys gay events generally.

You need to think long and hard before going to Breckenridge.  All mountains are high, of course, that's what makes them mountains.

But Breck is at that point where almost anyone visiting will struggle against the altitude.  

I've been to Breck 20 times.  I always suffered altitude sickness to some degree.  One year it was so bad I drove to Denver and flew back to LA several days early.   

Then I discovered Diamox, which I think I've written about here.  The skiing at Breck is fantastic.

Anyway, Telluride is also very high, but it is so very very beautiful (again, Diamox.)

Vail is wonderful.  I spent many fun filled days there in the late 70s and early 80s.

One of the first things you mentioned was the Koosh stuff, which is fine.  If that's what you are looking for, hit Vail or Aspen or Telluride.

If you want kick ass skiing, hit the Summit (Breck and A-Basin) or Purgatory or Crested Butte (crusty butt).  Have fun!

7 hours ago, Rod Hagen said:

I taught skiing in Europe, and they paid us shit, and nobody tip

Now he tells me!

We could have been skiing our days away in Zermatt having crazy
Italian lunches in the shadow of the Matterhorn and spending 
our nights fucking like rabbits. All the while, you making bank
off the American who tips generously for "services rendered".

Grin. 

Aspen is great, but the ski-in/out options are limited and very expensive. You end up carry skis and walking in ski boots a lot. Snowmass might be better and just take the free bus to Aspen. Breckinridge is great too, but allow the first day for altitude sickness. So sick, couldn’t get out of bed. Telluride has the most beautiful scenery. Truly breathtaking. It’s a smallish ski village and town with limited after ski stuff. Vail is just a no for me. Weird resort layout and trails. 

Beaver Creek is my favorite.  This isn't to say the other places aren't good too, but Beaver Creek stands out.  I ski.  I don't really ski black runs all that often (although I can) and stick to mostly blues and greens.  Beaver Creek is a blue/green paradise.  It's also a GREAT place to learn.  I am not a huge fan of Vail...just seems to be a lot of lift time before you can actually ski.  And Breck to me is a lot of lift hopping peak to peak.  I get folks love them both; just not a fan myself.

Keystone can be fun.  But man can it get swamped with people, especially on weekends/holidays.  A-Basin?  Love it.  For those of us who live in Denver it's a great place to just go for the day.  Same for Loveland.  Copper is awesome although I don't ski there much because I get the Epic, mostly due to me having a time share in Beaver Creek.

December skiing is a toss up.  Early to Mid December?  I wouldn't bank on it.  You might find yourself with little to no snow, and/or VERY limited open areas.  Even late December can present its challenges.  January & February are a better bet.

Hit me up if ya wanna know more or ask additional questions.  I'd be happy to meet up with ya and even ski a day or two.

It's been years since I have been skiing, but hope to return one day. Last time was Breckenridge, but it was  with a group of coeds. The only advice I have is that I think you are on track in wanting as close to a ski in/ski out as you can manage. 

You're going to get a lot of varied views from a group like this which are helpful, but will also cause you to second guess things once you think you've made a decision. So, take some advice, and then focus on what you think you will enjoy most and pull the trigger. If you can be ok that most of these resorts aren't overrun with a large gay contingent, I think you will have fun and learn something new. In the end, it will be a new experience and you'll learn more about what you like and don't like for next time (assuming you like it well enough to want to go again). With that said, the larger resorts with greater abundance of green slope skiing might be something to focus on. 

As for learning to ski, I was able to get the hang of it my first ski trip after a day or two. I progressed rather quickly afterwards (not champion level, but respectable). I did so by watching the other experienced skiers I was with and taking my time to learn to cut my skis rather than the ski school instructor who wanted us to wedge all week long and that was uncomfortable and ultimately not the way anyone skis. So I said screw that, and followed a couple of friends and we got pretty good at it. 🤣🤣 

Enjoy your trip, @JoeMendoza!

Edited by HotWhiteThirties
Left words out of a sentence.

• 4 months later...

Colorado has always been one of my favorite places during winter break. The ski resorts there are stunning, and I highly recommend choosing this location. I especially like Vail Mountain Resort, and I think it's a must for any skiing lovers to go to. When it comes to skiing in Colorado, Vail is the best place to go to. Even if it's not as high as some of the other resorts in the area, it still receives heavy snow, with more than 350 inches per season. I think that's pretty good! However, I recommend researching for yourself and seeing which resort fits you best. oebbfahrplan.com is an excellent website for this! I use it all the time.

Edited by CarolHunter

I learned to ski in my 30s and was in good shape then and there was no way I would have been able to ski for 5 days in a row.  Once I got better at it, I could have skied 5 days in a row but much more likely would have either skied two and skipped one or skied every other day.  I stop skiing in my 40s and went back to it briefly in my 50s but the snow was colder, less forgiving and a lot less fun.  So, I packed up the skis and joined the bar crowd at the lodge.  Still fun.  

Snowmass and Aspen were my preferred Colorado locations but mostly I skied the ice of Vermont at Killington or Stowe.   There is a small ski resort in Massachusetts near Great Barrington, Butternut.  It is a very easy mountain and a great place to learn basics.  Two days there will get you set for more challemging resorts.  

Edited by purplekow