Image Merging

jjkrkwood
This topic is 1012 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Wondering if this is perhaps a NEW feature, or just a fluke ?   Today I noticed when posting to the Legacy gallery that if I posted several single images individually BUT consecutively in the same themed thread that the software MERGED the images into ONE post....

Did my setting get screwed up, or is this some new feature ? 

Edited by jjkrkwood

9 minutes ago, RadioRob said:

Within the last update or so a new setting was added that merged multiple postings if posted in a certain amount of time. 

1B2A0B55-220A-4BF0-9CC1-9F957836A86F.jpeg

I can adjust the time if it’s problematic. 

Several of us prolific posters often post several pics to a particular Gallery in the same timeframe, and want to keep the posts individual.    If the member cannot control this thru his own settings, then I might suggest increasing the timeframe to perhaps 15 minutes ?     NEVER would be better if that can be considered, since IF we wanted image combined we would post them together, and in addition members have previously stated they DID NOT like combined images since it makes it difficult to REACT to since they might like one and NOT the other....

Thank you

6 minutes ago, BuffaloKyle said:

It's the same @jjkrkwood for any kind of replies. I posted a reply on a thread and then did another because I was replying to something different and it merged it together. As long as I know I gotta wait 5 min I'm ok with it.

Is there a reason you would want two separate posts instead of allowing them to be merged?  I can reduce the merge timer… I’m just trying to understand why you would not want them merged. 

1 minute ago, jjkrkwood said:

Several of us prolific posters often post several pics to a particular Gallery in the same timeframe, and want to keep the posts individual.    If the member cannot control this thru his own settings, then I might suggest increasing the timeframe to perhaps 15 minutes ?     NEVER would be better if that can be considered, since IF we wanted image combined we would post them together, and in addition members have previously stated they DID NOT like combined images since it makes it difficult to REACT to since they might like one and NOT the other....

Thank you

You want to DECREASE the time. Not increase it. If the value is increased it’s a longer time in which topics would be merged. 

I would prefer not to set “Never” because there are situations where people post something and have that “oh I forgot one last thought” moment. However I have reduced the timer from 5 to 1 minute. Is that more workable?

(Also new gallery won’t have this setting at all as it does not apply to albums.)

1 minute ago, RadioRob said:

You want to DECREASE the time. Not increase it. If the value is increased it’s a longer time in which topics would be merged. 

I would prefer not to set “Never” because there are situations where people post something and have that “oh I forgot one last thought” moment. However I have reduced the timer from 5 to 1 minute. Is that more workable?

(Also new gallery won’t have this setting at all as it does not apply to albums.)

Yes, the 1 minute will be more workable, and if not, i'll live with it until the New Gallery is running.   Another thank you for your prompt action and response.

12 minutes ago, RadioRob said:

Is there a reason you would want two separate posts instead of allowing them to be merged?  I can reduce the merge timer… I’m just trying to understand why you would not want them merged. 

I just like to keep one thought per reply. I'm not good at doing multi-quotes in one reply. You just did it yourself actually just now there @RadioRob by doing back to back replies to both myself and jj. 😁

Edited by BuffaloKyle

3 minutes ago, BuffaloKyle said:

I just like to keep one thought per reply. I'm not good at doing multi-quotes in one reply. You just did it yourself actually just now there @RadioRob by doing back to back replies to both myself and jj. 😁

I understand. Hopefully reducing the timer from 5 to 1 minute helps. 

My posts missed being merged by a matter of literally seconds!!  Haha. The reason I asked about why was even if my posts did merge, it would not have made a difference to me. It would have still gotten my thoughts shared. 

The only original reason I could come up with regarding why posts should not merge is that it could reduce post count. Since there were other valid reasons for lowering the time, it made sense to do it. 

1 minute ago, RadioRob said:

I understand. Hopefully reducing the timer from 5 to 1 minute helps. 

My posts missed being merged by a matter of literally seconds!!  Haha. The reason I asked about why was even if my posts did merge, it would not have made a difference to me. It would have still gotten my thoughts shared. 

The only original reason I could come up with regarding why posts should not merge is that it could reduce post count. Since there were other valid reasons for lowering the time, it made sense to do it. 

My reaction to the merging was based on feedback I received from members back when I used to MERGE pics and they found it difficult to "react" to them since they liked one but not others, and THEY urged me to separate the images...    I dont find it as much an issue in other Forums where supposedly ALL posts should have the same focus, so merged replies to several at once would not be as much issue.  But then there are others like @BuffaloKylewho have issue, so I think its important to be as respectful as possible to ALL member requests to the degree you are able.... and I truly believe you are.  👍

By the way...  there was a comment earlier about not being good at Multi-Quote.  Below is a tip/trick that might make quoting multiple people at the same time easier:

As you're viewing a post, if you highlight any text... you will see an option for quoting that text.  It will look something like:

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 12.48.53 PM.png

If you click that "Quote selection" button, it will add whatever is highlighted to your reply section down at the bottom of the page.  After adding it, find where it was inserted and type any comments you want to make.  If you want to quote multiple things, just back up and find something else you want to quote.  Simply highlight that new text and use the "Quote selection" box again.  It will add that new text down below as well where you can again comment on it.  

You can do this as many times as you want and all of the replies will be added in the order in which you added them.

Hopefully this will help you in your commenting endeavors!  :D 

When you use the highlight quote function as you describe, it will only place that quote at the bottom of that page.

What if I want to quote two posts from the same thread but from two different pages in one reply?

It doesn’t seem to allow that.

15 minutes ago, nycman said:

When you use the highlight quote function as you describe, it will only place that quote at the bottom of that page.

What if I want to quote two posts from the same thread but from two different pages in one reply?

It doesn’t seem to allow that.

Now THAT is where you want to actually use the Multi-Quote feature.  It's designed to let you quote across a thread that spans multiple pages.  For each post you want to quote, click on the "+" sign on the bottom left of the message (to the left of the word "Quote").  It will look something like:

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 6.35.33 PM.png

It's important you click the plus sign to Multi-Quote.  If you just click the word "Quote", it will quote only that single reply.  When you click the Multi-Quote button (aka the "plus sign") that message will be added to a queue that shows up on the VERY bottom right side of the page.  It will look like:

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 6.36.33 PM.png

As you go between pages that box will remain so you can keep adding messages to quote.  Once you're actually ready to reply, actually press that "Quote X posts" button.  You'll see each message you selected and be able to respond in-line.  

On 7/14/2021 at 11:06 AM, RadioRob said:

This is really frustrating an annoying this merging thing. I see no purpose in it. I one wanted something to be part of a previous post then one would simply add it to that post or add it by editing it later. The merge thing serves no purpose. 

13 hours ago, Danny-Darko said:

This is really frustrating an annoying this merging thing. I see no purpose in it. I one wanted something to be part of a previous post then one would simply add it to that post or add it by editing it later. The merge thing serves no purpose. 

I strongly agree!

13 hours ago, Danny-Darko said:

The merge thing serves no purpose. 

Exactly!