The Father (2020 movie)

Oscar Not Wilde
This topic is 1015 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I watched the 2020 movie The Father with Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Colman. It is a sad and tragic experience, but provides a different perspective on the subject.  In addition to the performances of Hopkins and Colman, the production is compelling and even the sets visually help tell the story and provide insight.  It is a tough subject, but Florian Zeller does a great job both as writer and director. Hopkins won Best Actor.  Zeller won Best Adapted Screen Play.

I don’t know why I resisted seeing this movie for the longest time. Maybe because of the subject matter. But I’m glad I finally did. Anthony Hopkins is mesmerizing. I could see why he beat out Chadwick Boseman. He reduced me to tears. By burrowing deep into the mind of a man with dementia, the movie broke my heart, messed with my brain, and scared the s**t out of me.