Deleting Content

RadioRob
This topic is 1031 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This was going to be one of those little Easter eggs that I thought I would wait and see who would comment on first, but after a week... there's been no mention of it.  So I'll go ahead and just note it for the masses.  :)

During the first week or so after the migration to IPB (Invision Community), it was noted by several folks that wanted to delete content was that there was only a button to "hide" the content rather than delete it.  At the time, I noted I was simply mirroring the way Daddy had configured Xenforo to behave.

Last week, I enabled members to be able to delete content in addition to hiding it.  To prevent the delete feature from being abused, when a member deletes a piece of content (a post, image, review, etc), it will be initially hidden in a recycle bin for 30 days and then permanently deleted.  This will remove the content from immediate view, but allow moderators to go back if necessary.

Prior to this, when a post was hidden...  it simply removed it from public view.  That option remains available.  The new delete feature will immediately remove it from public view then permanently remove it after 30 days.  

I didn't notice...  I don't hide the pictures I post, I only delete them...  Most of the time I don't include the reason for wanting them deleted.  I sometimes wonder if the moderators have time to be reading all the reasons for the deleted posts...  I don't think statistics are being kept or are they and for what reasonable purpose?  Thanks for the Easter egg RR...

If a post is hidden in a thread, the post is visible inline with the rest of the posts to moderators, but has a different background color to indicate it is hidden.  If the person who hid the object noted why, that note is visible as well to the moderators.  The note can make it easier for a moderator to understand what was going on so it's appreciated if something is included (such as it was double posted because of a system problem, or the OP just changed their mind and did not want to share that thought, etc.)   If a note is not given, we just make a best guess if we even spend the time to look.  

There is also a section in the ModeratorCP that lets moderators search all hidden content.  If a piece of content is deleted, it shows up there until its delete timer is reached at which point it is permanently gone.  If a piece of content is still scheduled to delete, a moderator still has an opportunity to view and/or restore it.  

To be perfectly honest, none of us go out "searching" for hidden content.  If a piece of content is hidden, it was either hidden by a moderator (in which case there is a report on what exactly happened) or it was hidden by the content poster.  If it was the content poster, they don't need a reason.  They can hide the content themselves or simply report the content and ask one of us to do it.  We have enough to do without searching for it.  I'm less likely to pay attention to something hidden since I know it's not generally being seen.  

Generally when moderators take action on threads its because we received a report about a piece of content or we came across it as part of our normal browsing of the site.  None of us actively spend time looking to discipline members.  We're here because we enjoy the site... we just have a couple extra responsibilities along the way as well.  :)

I try not to post anything objectionable or offensive, so I have very few of those to delete.... But I have been spending alot of time deleting old TUMBLR pic posts that Tumble has now taken down, so the post now shows basically nothing, and who wants to look at or scroll thru Nothing ?    It also frees up board space, i HOPE ?  🤔