Law of Desire

BSR
This topic is 1011 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I first saw Almodovar's "Law of Desire" in its initial release back in 1987, and I watched it again just now after a 34-year gap.  Whereas I loved it 34 years ago, so much that I saw it several times at the artsy NYC cinema where it was playing, I didn't particularly enjoy it today.

Back in 1987, the film was groundbreaking.  A film with a gay protagonist was pretty much unheard of, especially one who lived so openly & unapologetically.  Portrayals of gay sex and male nudity were pretty racy stuff anywhere, especially in Spain just 11 years after Franco's death.  Almodovar's nutty, unconventional style and dark sense of humor were so different from any movie I had ever seen.

34 years later, plenty of gay-themed movies are made, and a gay protagonist isn't groundbreaking stuff any more.  I've lost my taste for Almodovar's style because, as a friend correctly pointed out, once you've seen one Almodovar flick, you've seen them all.  They're all kind of the same.  At least "Matador" and "Women on the Verge" were a lot funnier.

Who else has seen "Law of Desire"?  What do you think of it?

• 3 weeks later...