Cher on Tik Tok? When Should Divas Retire?

lonely_john
This topic is 1023 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Cher just made her debut on Tik Tok few hours ago to wish everyone a Happy Pride.

She already has 474K Followers, 940K Likes and her 1 single post 3.1M views.

A friend criticized Cher and Madonna, who also has a Tik Tok account, for always trying to be current and young.

I say that a Diva should be performing for as long as she can do it with decency.

Edited by lonely_john

I think an added effect of Cher trying to be up to date is that she retains a certain amount of power in the gay community but in other communities also.  So when she makes her opinion known about certain things she can really influence things in one way or another.  It will not mean that something will go one way but her opinion will have an effect.  Good for her.

1 minute ago, lonely_john said:

I also like Madonna but he's been doing a bit too much on her face lately.

Hey, I think Madge looks "chiselled" and actually fine (facially), although AGE often will be revealed by hands and legs.  Unless she wears a floor lenght shroud, theres no concealing that she is as old as dust.....   But if she feels better with a New face,  who is it harming ?

1 minute ago, TruthBTold said:

I think an added effect of Cher trying to be up to date is that she retains a certain amount of power in the gay community but in other communities also.  So when she makes her opinion known about certain things she can really influence things in one way or another.  It will not mean that something will go one way but her opinion will have an effect.  Good for her.

She is an avid activist that puts her money where her mouth is, recently donating over 1 million dollars to purchase vaccine buses to go into underserved areas to administer the vaccine.   She is CLASS.....

Class or no class, love her or hate her...Cher looks absolutely astonishing at 75 years of age. There's no room on the "Stage of Queens" except for her and Dolly Parton - no one else comes close, and until either of them give up the ghost, all the rest - including Madonna - gonna be back stage waiting and wishing, cause those two queens own it, and that's the way it is! 🤣🤣🤣

16 hours ago, lonely_john said:

Cher just made her debut on Tik Tok few hours ago to wish everyone a Happy Pride.

She already has 474K Followers, 940K Likes and her 1 single post 3.1M views.

A friend criticized Cher and Madonna, who also has a Tik Tok account, for always trying to be current and young.

I say that a Diva should be performing for as long as she can do it with decency.

I disagree with your friend's assessment that by being current she is trying to be young. Would this person rather she use a Mortorola StarTAC, for heavens sake? 

I do, however, agree with your statement. She should perform for as long as she wants to. In addition to being a great performer, she encourages people of all ages to embrace new technology. Maybe that will help seniors avoid thinking their mobile phone is broken because there is no dial tone. (My brother almost put a bounty on my head after my dad told him this for the hundredth time after I got him a cell phone.)

I remember seeing Tina Turner on Oprah about why she was retiring from performing. She talked about how hard it was to deliver the songs in a way that Tina Turner fans expected. I remember her saying no one is going to let Tina Turner sing Proud Mary from a stool. 

I think as long as the divas can still deliver nothing should stop them, but when they’re ready to bow out, we should let them. 

• lonely_john changed the title to Cher on Tik Tok? When Should Divas Retire?

A Diva does not retire

She 

She is “re-evaluating her life/work balance to allow more ___________for her _________ and valuable work with

The ________ For _______ ,________ - _____________ And ____________________Type 3”

OR

She is “working creatively across multiple _________and __________, with some new artists who ______ the_________ “

OR

****Tickets Available Now!****

Pre-Broadway tour of the exciting new One- ______Show,
“The _________ Never__________

A Diva and her ___________” 

Starring The Lady Herself

*+*+*     ____________ ! !   *+*+*
 no refunds no exchanges 

It's odd that I give Cher more wiggle room to be Cher, but the moment I see Madonna trying to be relevant, I cringe.

Perhaps it's that with Madonna, it's a rather joyless thing to watch.  She tries so hard and it shows.  It's uncomfortable now.

Cher just is Cher.  She's conquered acting and music.  She's unfailingly herself at all times.  She hasn't really needed to switch characters.  I admire that.

On the same level, it's also why I like Kylie Minogue:  She's positive, she's supportive, she makes catchy music and like Cher, she doesn't take herself seriously.

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

On 6/28/2021 at 8:11 AM, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

It's odd that I give Cher more wiggle room to be Cher, but the moment I see Madonna trying to be relevant, I cringe.

Perhaps it's that with Madonna, it's a rather joyless thing to watch.  She tries so hard and it shows.  It's uncomfortable now.

Cher just is Cher.  She's conquered acting and music.  She's unfailingly herself at all times.  She hasn't really needed to switch characters.  I admire that.

On the same level, it's also why I like Kylie Minogue:  She's positive, she's supportive, she makes catchy music and like Cher, she doesn't take herself seriously.

Madonna has always been pretentious.  She always comes off as at least somewhat imperious to me.  I like some of her music and some of her videos, so I'm not saying she has no talent, but her narcissism has always been off-putting to me.  Cher, on the other hand, just says/writes what she feels.  Apart from when she's performing, she comes across as being more natural and authentic.  Cher admitting that she doesn't even like some of the music she made definitely puts her in a different camp than Madonna, who seems to think she walks on water.  I happen to like some of Cher's music she dislikes (she appears to favor her more rock influenced tracks and I like her pure pop and dance stuff, for the most part), but I contrast Cher's willingness to critique her own work with Madonna's ridiculous stance on her latest flop called Madame X, where she dressed in a silly costume and tried to sell the concept and her album as some serious piece of art when most everyone who heard it said, "thank u,next."

On 6/25/2021 at 7:59 AM, jjkrkwood said:

Hey, I think Madge looks "chiselled" and actually fine (facially), although AGE often will be revealed by hands and legs.  Unless she wears a floor lenght shroud, theres no concealing that she is as old as dust.....   But if she feels better with a New face,  who is it harming ?

Ha. You beat me to it. At least her neck looks alright. You'll see these tight filled faces and grandma corded out necks.