Introducing Achivevements

RadioRob
This topic is 915 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

16 hours ago, RadioRob said:

With the newest version of Invision Community that was applied this morning, there is a new feature that replaces ranks with what is called Achievements.  

As you perform certain types of activities on the site, you earn "points".  These build on the old rank system where points can be awarded for more things than just new posts.  

An example of points being awarded:

• Content Item Followed = 2 points
  • Following a Member = 2 points
  • Node (forum, album, etc) Followed = 2 points
  • Content Item Posted = 10 points
  • Comment/Reply Posted = 5 points
  • Reaction Given = 1 point (for person given and a separate point for the person recieving)

Based on the number of points that are received, this determines a person's "rank".

Rank

• Newbie = 0 points
  • Rookie = 40 points
  • Apprentice = 90 points
  • Explorer = 185 points
  • Contributor = 250 points
  • Enthusiast = 400 points
  • Collaborator = 800 points
  • Community Regular = 1,300 points
  • Rising Star = 1,950 points
  • Proficient = 2,600 points
  • Experienced = 3,900 points
  • Mentor = 5,200 points
  • Veteran = 9,100 points
  • Grand Master = 13,000 points

Achievements

Outside of ranks, when certain activities happen, the system will recognize it and award a badge noting it as a personal milestone.  We can define new badges, but some of the default ones that exist include:

• First Post - 1 comment/reply
  • Collaborator - 10 comments/replies
  • Posting Machine - 500 comments/replies
  • Well Followed - 10 people follow you
  • Conversation Starter - 1 new topic posted
  • Reacting Well - 5 new reactions received
  • Very Popular - 100 new reactions received
  • One Week Done - Been a member of the site for 7 days
  • Dedicated - Signed into the site for 7 consecutive days
  • One Month Later - Been a member of the site for 30 days
  • One Year In - Been a member of the site for 365 days

The system is in the process of calculating everyone's ranks, achievements, points, etc.  There are literally hundreds of millions of records to process.  It's about 2% done, so everyone can enjoy being a newbie for a bit.  The ranks will work themselves out as it parses everything.  :)

EDIT:

While the system is regenerating this info, ranks and achievements have been set to hide during the recount.  They'll automatically display again as soon as the counting finishes! 

I had not seen this announcement! In another thread, I said

Can we edit the Ranks? For instance, Virgin instead of Newbie; Slut Mother Queen instead of Grand Master, and so on in between? 

4 hours ago, latbear4blk said:

I had not seen this announcement! In another thread, I said

Can we edit the Ranks? For instance, Virgin instead of Newbie; Slut Mother Queen instead of Grand Master, and so on in between? 

Ranks can absolutely be edited/customized.  We can have as few or as many as we want.  When defining a rank, I need to provide: 

1. Title of the rank
  2. Number of points required to achieve the rank
  3. An image to associate with the rank.
    • The image must be square (meaning equal dimensions)
    • The image SHOULD be a vector file or at absolute minimum be transparent to overlay on the profile picture properly.

If we simply rename existing ranks without changing point values, I can do it simply by changing the name.  Nothing else needs to happen.  If we add/remove ranks or change the point values, I will need to let the system recount everyone's scores again to apply the new correct ranks.  (That's why everyone started as a newbie.)  Recounting is super easy...  it's a couple of clicks to kick off, but it will take several hours as we saw yesterday for the system to parse everything in the background.

I'm not opposed to making changes.  Feel free to toss out ideas.  I'll need to obviously get buy-in from the moderators for any changes, so I can't promise anything... but I'm open to hearing ideas.

23 minutes ago, RadioRob said:

Ranks can absolutely be edited/customized.  We can have as few or as many as we want.  When defining a rank, I need to provide: 

1. Title of the rank
  2. Number of points required to achieve the rank
  3. An image to associate with the rank.
    • The image must be square (meaning equal dimensions)
    • The image SHOULD be a vector file or at absolute minimum be transparent to overlay on the profile picture properly.

If we simply rename existing ranks without changing point values, I can do it simply by changing the name.  Nothing else needs to happen.  If we add/remove ranks or change the point values, I will need to let the system recount everyone's scores again to apply the new correct ranks.  (That's why everyone started as a newbie.)  Recounting is super easy...  it's a couple of clicks to kick off, but it will take several hours as we saw yesterday for the system to parse everything in the background.

I'm not opposed to making changes.  Feel free to toss out ideas.  I'll need to obviously get buy-in from the moderators for any changes, so I can't promise anything... but I'm open to hearing ideas.

I threw the idea but do not have the time or the talent to work on such a project. We need someone witty, creative, and funny, with disposable time for this unnecessary but entertaining project. Meanwhile, I will try to forget that I am a grand master and not a mother queen.

Edited by latbear4blk

21 hours ago, RadioRob said:

If that is the case, I'm manually adding a million points to my own score!!  We've got some hot guys here I would not kick out of my bed for eating crackers.  

once you do that to your own score - if you scroll over to mine and just put infinity on my score, that'd be great 🤣

17 hours ago, Jim_n_NYC said:

A case of fixing something that wasn't broken in my opinion.

My understanding is that it's part of a software change, not a conscious decision to change the way this site operates

15 hours ago, RadioRob said:

Ranks can absolutely be edited/customized.  We can have as few or as many as we want.

To me, the ranks are an interesting way to reflect members' levels of engagement with the forum, but I'm not persuaded that the specific ranks warrant the effort needed to customise them. Of course, if others want to do it I'm happy for them to go ahead with it.

6 minutes ago, Lucky said:

I thought you said that the new software required the ranks.

Achievements are a default part of IPB 4.6. It replaces Ranks. (Probably the better way to describe it is that it builds on the Ranks system.)

I had to apply a security update yesterday. When that security update was applied, Achievements was also installed because it’s a default feature. That means all of the ranks that were there automatically were replaced with the new default ones. I could spend the time to manually go figure out what the old ranks were and what the requirements were for them, but frankly I was not that vested in it. 

If someone wants to spend the time/effort to recreate the old ranks, and figure out graphics for each of them… so be it.  

Ranks, titles and badges promote the idea that this site is somehow a "competition", and while it may enhance "quantity" , I'm afraid the QUALITY suffers since it becomes more about Numbers and less about content.    That has always been my opinion regardless of what witty labels were assigned to it.

My purpose here is to participate, NOT to be ranked.

Edited by jjkrkwood

27 minutes ago, jjkrkwood said:

Ranks, titles and badges promote the idea that this site is somehow a "competition", and while it may enhance "quantity" , I'm afraid the QUALITY suffers since it becomes more about Numbers and less about content.

Makes perfect sense. After all, the whole idea of 'gamification' was to keep people on a site longer so they can be exposed to more ads.

2 hours ago, jjkrkwood said:

Hey Mods,  I just found a serious FLAW in the New software....

I just got an alert saying "Hey, you just earned a Very Popular badge"....

Any random poll of the site members will tell you that "just AINT so"   🤣🤣

Popularity doesn't necessarily mean everyone LIKES you. It just means they read what you write. 🤣😂🥰

1 hour ago, rvwnsd said:

Popularity doesn't necessarily mean everyone LIKES you. It just means they read what you write. 🤣😂🥰

Oh, I so agree, but if they dont like me, than WHY would they.  I dont look at any of the posts that people I dont like here make...  Maybe thats just me ?

19 minutes ago, jjkrkwood said:

Oh, I so agree, but if they dont like me, than WHY would they.  I dont look at any of the posts that people I dont like here make...  Maybe thats just me ?

There's no sense trying to figure out the unwashed masses, darling. Just appreciate the attention and let them bask in your fabulousness.