Carl Nassib-1st active openly-gay NFL player

keroscenefire

On 6/22/2021 at 3:45 PM, E.T.Bass said:

I don't see it as a complete secret.  Even going back to David Kopay, in his account, there were NFL team members that knew.   It just isn't a topic of conversation, though.   I don't know Nassib's story, but hope he has been able to be out to family and been able to date men all these years.  He is past 28 years old.  

Nassib's approach was awesome.   Doing it on his own terms was way better than having network news cameras capturing it.

I remember Michael Sams getting drafted, and he made sure the cameras covered him tongue swallowing his twinky boyfriend on national TV.  Then he said, "I'm a private person so no more interviews please."   NEXT day MTV announces a new show featuring Michael joining the team, in the locker room, adjusting to the NFL, etc.  Neither he nor his TV show lasted a month.

9 hours ago, tassojunior said:

But a press conference announcement today sells out your jerseys which you get a hefty royalty from (am i being too cynical?) 

I guess it's a major accomplishment that being gay is a staged marketing tactic now. The struggles !

A little cynical. It is a staged event, these coming out announcements. But for years we have wanted one player....just one player, who actually is on a team and plays the game well, and is a normal and regular guy, to make this announcement. It's been all over the edges before.  A recently retired player comes out.  Another says he "might" be bi.'  A kicker says he's gay and who cares.  This guy is from hollywood casting.  Dreamy looks, corn fed aw shucks ma country boy, loves his family and his country.  Frankly, he won't scare or repulse middle america. 

7 hours ago, Becket said:

I remember Michael Sams getting drafted, and he made sure the cameras covered him tongue swallowing his twinky boyfriend on national TV.  Then he said, "I'm a private person so no more interviews please."   NEXT day MTV announces a new show featuring Michael joining the team, in the locker room, adjusting to the NFL, etc.  Neither he nor his TV show lasted a month.

I don't know enough about college football to form an opinion about Michael Sams but did read a great analysis of his talent.  The author was an ESPN guy who knew college football like the back of his hand.  His conclusion was that Sam just wasn't that good.  Plenty of players have great college careers only to fizzle out in the NFL.  Sam just raised more of a stink about it and tried to make the gay issue the reason he was cut.

8 hours ago, Becket said:

A little cynical. It is a staged event, these coming out announcements. But for years we have wanted one player....just one player, who actually is on a team and plays the game well, and is a normal and regular guy, to make this announcement. It's been all over the edges before.  A recently retired player comes out.  Another says he "might" be bi.'  A kicker says he's gay and who cares.  This guy is from hollywood casting.  Dreamy looks, corn fed aw shucks ma country boy, loves his family and his country.  Frankly, he won't scare or repulse middle america. 

But that implies Jerry Smith and Dave Kopay etc were "unhealthy" examples because they hung out at his gay bar, went to baths, Tilden was "unhealthy" because he was obviously gay, Paris because he hugged his lover in public, etc etc. 

This is like religions that say it's ok to be homosexual so long as you don't have any gay sex. You don't have to be nonsexual or conform to "straight" appearance to be "ok".  

15 hours ago, Becket said:

It is hard not to be cynical.  I'm one of the chief cynics!

Seeing Dave Kopay interviewed today on our local news really did my heart good.  He was honest about how sh!tty he was treated for being gay.  He felt suicidal and decided the situation was "bullshit", that he needed to come out.   He said that on live TV.  😊

Mr. Kopay was so happy about Nassib coming out.  Was a treat to hear him interviewed today.  Hopefully KCAL 9 will post it later.

Edited by E.T.Bass
sp

• 2 months later...

I don't follow / care about the NFL, but the headlines of Carl "coming out" made me smile.  

Before he was so well known, he frequented a high end restaurant / bar in West Chester called Stove and Tap and I'd see him there every so often when I was in town for work.  One of my colleagues - who does follow the NFL - went over to shake his hand and buy him a drink and Carl couldn't have been nicer.  In his Instagram video, he talks about being a private person, but he was genuinely warm and friendly to us and came across as a polite, sincere, and well educated young man.  How ironic, in light of his news, that the female wait staff was always fawning over him 😜

I wish him the best and hope he finds the perfect soulmate.  

IMG_3258.jpg

Edited by kdawgster

On our Sunday morning sports discussion panel this week one of the panelists, a sports journallist (who happens to be gay), noted that after the flutter of interest when Carl came out that at the start of the NFL season his sexuality was not even a second order subject of discussion in the public sphere. He saw that lack of it still being a story is a positive development, and I have to agree.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Islesguy said:

The NHL may have it's first out player in the next year or two. A 19 y/o prospect for Nashville named Luke Prokop, who came out as gay this summer, signed a pro contract this year. NHL prospects can sign pro deals while still playing in development leagues.

He could spice up the "penalty box."

Advocates say hockey player coming out as gay must lead to meaningful  change in game | Globalnews.ca

• 10 months later...
18 hours ago, Becket said:

So glad he got picked up by Tampa Bay after being cut by Las Vegas.  His is such an important story, a positive representation.  Also good to see he's not still making news.  Just a regular guy, a football player. Great looking, too. 

I'm glad he got a job too. As I had posted right above your post he was always very noticeable with his play in a positive way when I would watch a Raiders game.