Which do you find more attractive?

This topic is 756 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

11 hours ago, sync said:

The nature of dogs can be as firmly entrenched as the nature of humans.  

At one time I lived in a town where two of my neighbors had dogs that were dangerously affectionate. 

One family had a Labrador that would bound toward visitors and virtually hurl herself into the individuals and smother them with affection.  While the family was heartbroken by their decision, they eventually gave the dog to another family better able to accommodate the dog's nature.

The other family had two New Finlands, one of which they had to keep on a run because it would pounce onto individuals with its ravenous affection. The run was the only option because the dog's size and weight in its zeal was a very real danger to young children and the elderly.

I think you mean Newfoundlands, which are huge and friendly and love water. Newfies are a Canadian concoction.

Thanks for the tip. I Use Orivet for the breed analysis. Is there another breed analysis service you know which might be more reliable?

44 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Thanks for the tip. I Use Orivet for the breed analysis. Is there another breed analysis service you know which might be more reliable?

I have never used one, I just depend on my own knowledge of breeds and their backgrounds. You might check with the AKC to see if they recommend anyone.

I had two big black dogs.  I always thought of them as Newfoundland Labrador mixes.  No matter what they were, I loved them and they were great companions and protectors.  Why bother labeling your dog, tell people what you think he is and call it a day.  Save the cash and buy him a toy and a few pounds of bones.   

14 hours ago, purplekow said:

I had two big black dogs.  I always thought of them as Newfoundland Labrador mixes.  No matter what they were, I loved them and they were great companions and protectors.  Why bother labeling your dog, tell people what you think he is and call it a day.  Save the cash and buy him a toy and a few pounds of bones.   

Well, different breeds have different personalities that I'd like to understand. If my dog comes from a lineage of more protective/agressive breeds, I'd like to know that. It's especially important if my neighbor is going to bring her grandkids to my pool, as I've given her permission to. I've also tried some training to reduce her protective/territorial nature. Some breeds, like labrador retrievers, are more docile. Also, the lack of lab genes might explain my dog's fear of water. When I do laps on my pool, she just runs around the pool. Won't even put a paw in. She likes getting splashed, though. 

I know some people eschew labels, especially bisexuals. But labels help us anticipate certain possibilities and behaviors. I know that it might be more fruitful, so to speak, to introduce one gay man to another if I feel there might be a romantic possibility. As physicians, having a diagnosis or "label" helps one anticipate certain complications or things to look out for. 

Edited by Unicorn

1 hour ago, Unicorn said:

Well, different breeds have different personalities that I'd like to understand. If my dog comes from a lineage of more protective/agressive breeds, I'd like to know that. It's especially important if my neighbor is going to bring her grandkids to my pool, as I've given her permission to. I've also tried some training to reduce her protective/territorial nature. Some breeds, like labrador retrievers, are more docile. Also, the lack of lab genes might explain my dog's fear of water. When I do laps on my pool, she just runs around the pool. Won't even put a paw in. She likes getting splashed, though. 

I know some people eschew labels, especially bisexuals. But labels help us anticipate certain possibilities and behaviors. I know that it might be more fruitful, so to speak, to introduce one gay man to another if I feel there might be a romantic possibility. As physicians, having a diagnosis or "label" helps one anticipate certain complications or things to look out for. 

Clearly labels have a role in life.  If you were going to test the dog before adopting it, it may play some role in your choice. Once you have it, would you give him up because he is not genetically what you though he would be? Canine M. Butterfly, love the idea of the ideal dog but not the dog itself.  I do not envision you to be that guy.   

Edited by purplekow

On 6/17/2021 at 5:32 PM, Unicorn said:

She also sits and lies down in a really weird way. I don't know if it's because their joints are mutant, too? Or needs to heat up her pussy?

11 Fun Facts About French Bulldogs | 3 Million Dogs

Why Do French Bulldogs Sit Funny – Is Something Wrong? – Little French Dog

Has no one else noticed that she kinda has the sultry/pouty look of Eartha Kitt? Something in the eyes, I think. Then too, those poses are probably just driving all the male dogs in the neighborhood completely bonkers. Actually, maybe the OP's dog has some of this breed in the mix also. There's something vaguely slutty about how this one lies around.

I've had my current dog for 10 years and literally picked him off the street. He was around 1 then and a beautiful mixed breed, the first I have had. A month after I adopted him a girl in the neighborhood recognized him as her uncle's dog, which he had supposedly given away. She told me my dog's original name and that his mother had been a pitbull. A breed noted for its aggressive behaviour if not properly trained.

Anyhow this dog got along very well with my other dog, 4 years senior to him, a Belgian Malinois shepherd. His looks are classic mixed breed, 70 pounds, black, tan and some white around the chest and rear end. Tempermentally, he is wonderful and gets along with all people. With most dogs he is fine but I watch him carefully as he has tussled with a few. 

On 6/17/2021 at 1:18 PM, Unicorn said:

When my new beau, "Chris," and I are walking our dogs, or if I'm walking both of them, on the Runyon Canyon trails, it's very common for people to compliment his dog but not mine. His is a "blue" French Bulldog, and mine is a mix, but looks almost exactly like a Black Labrador (although when I sent off for a DNA analysis, there were almost a dozen breeds in her, but labrador wasn't one of them, much to my chagrin, since I found out she's made up of mostly of some very protective breeds). My beau's Frenchie is a sweet, affectionate dog, though I find her looks to be one only a parent could love. She looks like some sort of strange mutant to me. I find my dog very handsome. What do you guys think? Is the Frenchie really more attractive? Or are people just more impressed by the cost of those dogs? At first I just thought people were trying to come on to my beau, but this happens when I'm alone walking both. 

Handsome Black Labrador Boy - 1 year old | Coatbridge, Lanarkshire |  Pets4Homes

10 Things You Didn't Know about the Blue French Bulldog

File:Labrador Retriever black portrait Flickr.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Stunning Blue Brindle French Bulldog For Stud | Chelmsford, Essex |  Pets4Homes

I love labs so if I passed the two of you I'd be all over your dog (I know yours isn't a lab, but he looks like lab and looks inviting to me.)   I love all dogs, but I'm less partial to bulldogs and smaller dogs like that.   Personally I think you both have great looking dogs.

Edited by GI Joe Doll

On 6/17/2021 at 2:32 PM, Unicorn said:

She also sits and lies down in a really weird way. I don't know if it's because their joints are mutant, too? Or needs to heat up her pussy?

11 Fun Facts About French Bulldogs | 3 Million Dogs

Why Do French Bulldogs Sit Funny – Is Something Wrong? – Little French Dog

Frenchies used to be fairly rare, but when they suddenly became fashionable, overbreeding  led to specimens with medical problems. I know of several cases of Frenchies with genetic hip and leg problems offered for sale by unethical breeders. I don't know if this dog is one of them, but her coat color and pattern is hard to produce and therefore brings big bucks, so it is possible medical problems in her parents were ignored. However, that resting position with the splayed back legs is not necessarily abnormal in the bulldog breeds. Does she have noticeable difficulty getting up from that position?

I like the breed--they often have lovable temperaments--so someone offered to sell me a puppy once, but when I took her to be examined first by a veterinary surgeon I trusted, he said that surgery to correct an obvious hip problem would cost me at least $5000, and he couldn't guarantee it would be successful. Sudden popularity often ruins rare breeds.

47 minutes ago, Charlie said:

....Does she have noticeable difficulty getting up from that position?

No problems quickly getting up from that position. She is sweet, but one of the dumbest dogs I've owned.

6 hours ago, purplekow said:

Clearly labels have a role in life.  If you were going to test the dog before adopting it, it may play some role in your choice. Once you have it, would you give him up because he is not genetically what you though he would be? Canine M. Butterfly, love the idea of the ideal dog but not the dog itself.  I do not envision you to be that guy.   

Yeah, well obviously rescue organizations aren't going to wait 4 weeks while I get DNA breed analysis. Obviously, the dog and I love each other, and I won't turn her in because she wasn't the black lab/German Shepherd mix I was told she was. But I now have to be more careful when she meets strangers, especially children or the elderly. I realize she can't change her genetics.

3 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

I thought she was Chris's dog. How long have you had her?

Yes, technically she's "Chris's" dog, but I consider us co-owners. We've all been living together since the beginning of May. I did get insurance for the Frenchie (and "Chris"). 

As an adult I have only had one dog.  She was a black American Cocker Spaniel. I named her Whoops because when I brought her hope the first time and put her down she immediately wet.  I responded by saying whoops and that became her name.  She NEVER met a human being of any age that she didn't adore but damn she was an alpha female when it came to other dogs.  I had her for twelve years and still miss her.  Now at 80 I afraid that if I get another dog it might out live me and I am concerned what would happen to it. 

P.S.  I am not a big fan of French Bulldogs -- they really do have serious breathing problems. 

Edited by Epigonos
grammer correction

French bulldogs are extremely popular these days. People are going as far as to steal these dogs and sell them to someone else. Lady Gaga’s two frenchies where stolen in Hollywood a couple months ago and her dog walker got shot during the accident. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/03/09/french-bulldog-owners-are-terrified-after-lady-gaga-robbery/amp/

Your dog clearly has unpretentious personality and is probably fiercely loyal.  

French bulldogs are stylish right now (hence all the attention on the trail), but pretentious and yappy looking.  

I’m curious, do the two dogs get along?

Edited by BnaC

18 hours ago, BnaC said:

Your dog clearly has unpretentious personality and is probably fiercely loyal.  

French bulldogs are stylish right now (hence all the attention on the trail), but pretentious and yappy looking.  

I’m curious, do the two dogs get along?

They get along great. The Frenchie isn't yappy. She's mostly pretty quiet. The "black lab" is easily riled up and barks if there are gardeners working at the neighbors'. If the black lab barks, the Frenchie will often follow suit. 

I've found Frenchies, alone among dogs, to be almost cat-like in "leave me alone" attitudes. Many times they want to be left alone, other times they won't leave their owner alone. Most of my neighbors have them and i get attitudes from every one of them when i say hello, unlike other breeds. I don't know how that psychology was bred into a dog.