27 Hotel “Secrets” As Told By Employees

CheckCar
This topic is 1045 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On 6/8/2021 at 2:22 AM, Islesguy said:

No problem. I always have pens on me so the no pens in the room wasn't an issue, but the missing pads were a problem. I know a lot of places removed almost anything that could be touched by multiple people like coffee makers. I haven't checked, but the bibles might be gone also. The TV remote has been in plastic bags also in some hotels.

I'm currently at a Marriott in the Detroit area.  Pen and paper back on the desk.  TV remote not wrapped in plastic.  Bible and The Book of Mormon are in their designated spot.  Things seem to be getting back to normal.  As an aside, the hotel is buzzing with people.  I spoke with the restaurant manager at breakfast this morning.  She said they have been busy all week and will be through the weekend (she said they have two weddings!).  Another Marriott in the area was sold-out yesterday and today which is why I am at this one.    It seems business people are back on the road.

27 minutes ago, EZEtoGRU said:

I'm currently at a Marriott in the Detroit area.  Pen and paper back on the desk.  TV remote not wrapped in plastic.  Bible and The Book of Mormon are in their designated spot.  Things seem to be getting back to normal.  As an aside, the hotel is buzzing with people.  I spoke with the restaurant manager at breakfast this morning.  She said they have been busy all week and will be through the weekend (she said they have two weddings!).  Another Marriott in the area was sold-out yesterday and today which is why I am at this one.    It seems business people are back on the road.

Over the years I've stayed in a variety of hotels in the Union Square area as well as outside while in San Francisco.  I travel there monthly for business, but just this past Saturday (June 5, 2021), I drove up and stayed at the Howard Johnson by Hilton.  The hotel itself was attractive, quiet, and devoid of lots of guests.  In my room was an unwrapped TV remote, no pad or pens, a nice array of toiletries in the bathroom, and an apparent good cleaning.  The breakfast was "grab n go" which was all right with me.  Overall, the stay was very, very pleasant, but I do not know when my next stay in a hotel will occur, for as everyone should know by now, the pandemic has adversely affected everyone and everything, and it's somewhat difficult to face the changes.

While in SF on early Saturday eve., I decided to take my meal at Mel's Diner on Mission Street, a few blocks from the hotel.  Damn, it was NOT what I experienced over the many years I've eaten din din in this place.  It was not teeming with the innumerable customers I've encountered in the past.  In fact, there were fewer than fifteen in a place that formerly was filled with hundreds of diners.  I almost broke down and sobbed in my viewing the interior of this popular pre-Covid business.

On 6/8/2021 at 11:42 PM, ericwinters said:

I was a manager in a deluxe luxury hotel years ago. Security always knew the working girls and tolerated it as long as they matched the silk wall coverings and other fine furnishings of the property.  😁

How did security react to working guys?

"24. "As soon as you walk in, ask tons of questions about every aspect of the hotel. Always order a specialty cocktail with dinner or lunch, and use every outlet of the hotel. They will immediately flag you as a Forbes shopper. Everyone in the hotel will know your name, and a picture we stole from your Facebook will be all over the hotel behind the scenes. You'll get the best service you've ever had.""

Is there really a way to tell if a guest has used every outlet in the hotel?

On 6/7/2021 at 11:11 PM, azdr0710 said:

very true about being polite and civil when complaining.....back in college, while working at a very nice local resort near school, the "nice" complainers got taken care of first and thoroughly....

Sat down in my seat on a plane.  Guy walks in with the same seat number.  Gate agent arrives.  Guy bellows at Agent about that being his seat.  I said I was sure it was an accident, that there was a way to fix it, and asked what the agent would suggest.  Agent goes away, comes back within two minutes.  Guy is still fuming, muttering, being obnoxious.  Agent asks Guy whether he insists on having that seat.  He says damn right he does.  

You know what happened next.

She says great, the seat is his, and then asks me to follow her to first class.

On 6/8/2021 at 9:17 AM, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

Buzzfeed anything makes me want to punch young journalism grads in the face.

Compilation-style "articles" are the worst. They're insultingly lazy (I'll take listicles with original writing over a piece with 95 percent quotes any day) and profit off people's writing.

Then again, it's Buzzfeed so I'm not surprised. This wasn't the first time this happened and it most certainly won't be the last.

On 6/13/2021 at 8:38 AM, sniper said:

Guys wandering alone are seen as more of a potential physical threat than women. I don't think they can get away with the same tactics women do(i.e. riding the elevator up and down until a potential client shows up.)

Men are viewed as more of a threat but, I imagine, don’t affect guests’ perception of the hotel as much as wandering female sex workers do. 

3 hours ago, Scott Virginian said:

Sat down in my seat on a plane.  Guy walks in with the same seat number.  Gate agent arrives.  Guy bellows at Agent about that being his seat.  I said I was sure it was an accident, that there was a way to fix it, and asked what the agent would suggest.  Agent goes away, comes back within two minutes.  Guy is still fuming, muttering, being obnoxious.  Agent asks Guy whether he insists on having that seat.  He says damn right he does.  

You know what happened next.

She says great, the seat is his, and then asks me to follow her to first class.

It’s hard to know whether she would have given away the seat in first if both of you had been polite.  She might have just given one of you an exit row seat and considered that a favor.

Maybe she gave you the seat to compensate you for having to deal with the nasty guy or just to piss him off. 

Edited by FreshFluff

13 hours ago, FreshFluff said:

It’s hard to know whether she would have given away the seat in first if both of you had been polite.  She might have just given one of you an exit row seat and considered that a favor.

Maybe she gave you the seat to compensate you for having to deal with the nasty guy or just to piss him off. 

Oh, I definitely think it was a case of giving me the upgrade because he was being so unpleasant about it.