United will buy 15 ultrafast airplanes from start-up Boom Supersonic. Any takers?

marylander1940
This topic is 1040 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It's a great sizzle reel, but I'll believe it when I see them flying.

UA got a sweetheart deal on this order and have- roughly- 10 years to make it plausible before they're ready to enter service.

It's also insanely speculative based on this new company producing the jets has no track record and took a quarter of a billion in debt to startup.

Moral of the story:  Don't count your Concordes before they're hatched ;)

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

1 hour ago, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

It's a great sizzle reel, but I'll believe it when I see them flying.

UA got a sweetheart deal on this order and have- roughly- 10 years to make it plausible before they're ready to enter service.

It's also insanely speculative based on this new company producing the jets has no track record and took a quarter of a billion in debt to startup.

Moral of the story:  Don't count your Concordes before they're hatched ;)

I was wondering what the enticement was for United Airlines to make such a monumental commitment. If it flies (no pun intended), it will give United quite a jump ahead in passenger air service.

I'd consider maybe to go to Australia. I have friends there and have been meaning to visit...but depends on price. I've heard it's worth it to get at least a business class ticket on the US-Australia flight so you can sleep more easily. I got an economy flight last time I went to Europe and while I couldn't afford business class at that time, it definitely sucked not being able to sleep with that 9 hour flight.

Before the Concorde was retired BA had a special where you could fly to London for 3 or 4k USD instead of the normal 10k ticket price.  I almost booked a trip and at the last minute decided against it.  I always regret not doing it; I love flying and planes and wish I had flown on the Concorde...

While I was aboard a flight out of NYC, the pilot announced that by looking out the right-side of the plane it would be possible to see the Concorde make its landing.  I believe I shall always remember that sight. For me, it was akin to watching a magnificent bird-like creature.

This video (0:12 - 0:34) is comparable to the landing I witnessed:

As much as I’d love to see supersonic travel return, they are very small, very loud planes.

The real beauty of the A380 is that you barely even realize you’re on a plane as it takes off into the clouds. 

The Concorde was more like riding a slightly uncomfortable rocket.

It was magical every time, but if I had to pick I’d choose A380 First Class for my long haul flights.

Edited by nycman

18 hours ago, keroscenefire said:

I'd consider maybe to go to Australia. I have friends there and have been meaning to visit...but depends on price. I've heard it's worth it to get at least a business class ticket on the US-Australia flight so you can sleep more easily. I got an economy flight last time I went to Europe and while I couldn't afford business class at that time, it definitely sucked not being able to sleep with that 9 hour flight.

In the past five or six years I've flown across the Pacific in economy, premium economy and business [all on Qantas], variously to DFW, LAX and SFO, all paid economy with points upgrades, and on A380s, B747s and B787s. Y is bearable if you have to, but not particularly comfortable. I slept fitfully in premium and well in business. I'd be happy to keep flying on subsonic aircraft and if I'm going to throw big money on a trans-Pacific trip to throw it at a regular business ticket not a supersonic one. I doubt that these new supersonic aircraft will offer the comfort of any premium cabin on a current generation aeroplane. I also doubt that the carbon footprint they will have will be acceptable or affordable (maybe renewable jet fuel will be thing by then).

5 hours ago, nycman said:

As much as I’d love to see supersonic travel return, they are very small, very loud planes.

The real beauty of the A380 is that you barely even realize you’re on a plane as it takes off into the clouds. 

The Concorde was more like riding a slightly uncomfortable rocket.

It was magical every time, but if I had to pick I’d choose A380 First Class for my long haul flights.

I agree on the A380 (I think we've had that conversation before), and there was a reassuring news story a week of so back that Qantas had flown one of its A380s from Victorville to LAX for maintenance at their base there. That points to an intention, at least for now, to bring them back into service. There was another story about QF engineers having to deal with rattlesnakes in the aircraft they have there.

Concorde was a frequent flier's Kilimanjaro.  I was fortunate to fly it on the final year BA had it running (2003). 

As @nycman said, you didn't pay for comfort on that jet, you paid for speed.  2-2 config.  Small lavs.  

I remember a flight attendant telling me that on those final flights, they had a tough time keeping the pax from taking souvenirs (cutlery, salt shakers, china, etc). 

6 minutes ago, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

Concorde was a frequent flier's Kilimanjaro.  I was fortunate to fly it on the final year BA had it running (2003). 

I can't see a future supersonic jet having the cachet that Concorde had. It's a curious thing what makes an aircraft iconic, and I doubt it's predictable. There has certainly been a hint of that for the Jumbos as they have been progressively withdrawn from service and I sense that when the A380 goes there could be something similar. People noticed when first A380 flights happened into cities (Qantas flew those into LAX and DFW IIRC), something that didn't happen with other types. Will this new supersonic jet??

They seem to be targeting the long haul "business class" market, which I think is smart.
I’m guessing their sweet spot is going to be cutting the 8-12 hour flights down to 4-6 hours. 
Longer flights than that will have to land for refueling (gross), and I just don’t think over 6 hours upright is salable in today’s market. 

I also think the 1-1 configuration is the way to go and makes the plane even more aerodynamic than Concorde was. 

Of course, it will never be Concorde.

It will be the ugly little utilitarian step brother that arrived 50 years later…..Sic transit gloria mundi!

Edited by nycman

I was able to fly on the Concorde only once, from London to New York.  It was a memorable experience!  I have also flown on the A380 (in business, not first).   I think I read that the A380 is being retired.   If I am not too old by the time the United Boom goes into service, I will definitely want to give it a try.

10 hours ago, mike carey said:

In the past five or six years I've flown across the Pacific in economy, premium economy and business [all on Qantas], variously to DFW, LAX and SFO, all paid economy with points upgrades, and on A380s, B747s and B787s. Y is bearable if you have to, but not particularly comfortable. I slept fitfully in premium and well in business. I'd be happy to keep flying on subsonic aircraft and if I'm going to throw big money on a trans-Pacific trip to throw it at a regular business ticket not a supersonic one. I doubt that these new supersonic aircraft will offer the comfort of any premium cabin on a current generation aeroplane. I also doubt that the carbon footprint they will have will be acceptable or affordable (maybe renewable jet fuel will be thing by then).

I agree on the A380 (I think we've had that conversation before), and there was a reassuring news story a week of so back that Qantas had flown one of its A380s from Victorville to LAX for maintenance at their base there. That points to an intention, at least for now, to bring them back into service. There was another story about QF engineers having to deal with rattlesnakes in the aircraft they have there.

When I make that flight down under, I will definitely get your advice on the best airplane/airline to take. You definitely know your stuff :)

I'm with MC and others. If I'm flying from LAX to Europe or Australia, comfort is more important than chopping off several hours from the trip. The price for the seats, which would have to be reasonably comfortable, would have to be less than the price for a business class/lie flat seat on a conventional plane. I'd rather have 15 hours in comfort than 8 hours in discomfort. I suspect those agreeing with me are in the majority. The only niche I could see was someone who really needed to be on the other side of the globe in a big hurry for some reason. I suspect this will be an economic failure. 

On 6/4/2021 at 10:40 AM, Oscar Not Wilde said:

If tickets are as expensive as the Concorde was, I will pass. But, it does make long haul travel less of an ordeal. Australia is just over 8 hours from the US West Coast according to Boom.

They said the tickets will cost about 4k.. which is far cheaper then the concorde price of 8k

12 minutes ago, sincitymix said:

They said the tickets will cost about 4k.. which is far cheaper then the concorde price of 8k

I just looked at the Business Class fare from LAX to SYD, and it looks like it's around $7500. So, yeah, I think with that pricing point, I would go for the SST. 

Los Angeles to Sydney

AA_sq.svg
American Airlines • Tue, Jul 13

10:55pm - 7:05am

10:55pm through 7:05am
+2
Arrives Thu, Jul 15
15h 10m (Nonstop)
Show details

Selected fare to Sydney

• $7,503$7,503
    $7,502.25 one way for 1 traveler

Flagship Business, $7,503

Flagship Business

Cabin: Business

I saw a brief documentary on YouTube about this. One of the things they mentioned was fuel costs of the Concorde versus the Boom. They said the Boom was to be 30% more fuel efficient and have fewer seats than Concorde did to provide everyone with a first/business class style seat both on an aisle and with a window. A definite improvement, it seems. 

Nevertheless, I'm sorry to burst any bubbles, but only a 30% improvement in fuel burn doesn't seem like enough fuel savings to offer seats at the prices being touted and be economically viable - especially since, as I understand it, there are fewer seats than Concorde overall to spread that cost over. I'm not an engineer, so maybe I'm missing something, but it seems the fuel savings would need to be much more for this to truly "take off."

Edited by HotWhiteThirties