Italy honors poet Dante Alghieri 700 years after his death

marylander1940
This topic is 865 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Italy begins year of Dante anniversary events with virtual Uffizi exhibition | Italy | The Guardian

OP note: considering his time I'm still surprised how come the sin of lust (on of 7 deadly sins) is considered the least offensive of them and placed about gluttony. 

How would yinz rate them and which on you think might be applied to you? 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by marylander1940

• marylander1940 changed the title to Italy honors poet Dante Alghieri 700 years after his death
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Charlie said:

However, the quote is from Dante, not Vergil, who didn't write in Italian. (Vergil is onlly leading Dante to the gate to Hell, over which Dante claims the quote is written.)

I know that; I’ve translated the Aeneid (parts from Latin dactylic hexameter to English iambic pentameter!). I was making the very point that Vergil was leading Dante.

The Inferno is hilarious in parts, especially when Dante encounters political enemies there. 

Edited by EastCoastGuy

4 hours ago, EastCoastGuy said:

I know that; I’ve translated the Aeneid (parts from Latin dactylic hexameter to English iambic pentameter!). I was making the very point that Vergil was leading Dante.

The Inferno is hilarious in parts, especially when Dante encounters political enemies there. 

Aha! Then you are probably a fellow admirer of Alexander Pope. (And yet another thread wanders off topic, from Dante to Kafka and Proust, to Vergil and Pope.😄)

Edited by Charlie

• 5 months later...