Naomi Osaka refuses to do press conferences

BSR
This topic is 959 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On 7/8/2021 at 9:17 AM, Charlie said:

Osaka has just released a statement in which she claims that the press conference format itself is problematic and needs to be revised, and players should be allowed a number of "sick days" in which they can decline to participate.  She particularly objected to sensitive personal questions like being asked about the symptoms of her mental health problems. Anyone who has watched those press conferences has seen reporters ask questions that are intended to elicit emotional reactions from players. Top players are often scheduled to do a press conference shortly after they have suffered a match which they have lost. Many of the players are young and relatively unsophisticated, and are questioned in English, in which they are not particularly fluent. Osaka has raised a topic that really does need to be re-examined, IMHO.

If asked about symptoms of her mental health problems, is she not allowed to say either "No comment," or, better yet, "That's a rude question, and it's none of your business"? It's hard for me to imagine that they're required to answer any question reporters ask, no matter how inappropriate or personal. 

On 7/12/2021 at 7:49 AM, Charlie said:

Sometimes seasoned players will respond that way, but many don't feel secure enough to do so. They fear antagonizing the press with that kind of response.

Maybe her mental health professional's first priority should be to coach her on this. Not rocket science...

image.png.bbf2fbab8ce97f7797ada9ad074ddb90.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/31/2021 at 1:42 AM, BSR said:

The reigning queen of hardcourts Naomi Osaka (current US Open & Australian champion) announced via social media that she will no longer do the mandatory post-match press conferences, citing the issue of mental health.

"I've often felt that people have no regard for athletes mental health and this very true whenever I see a press conference or partake in one. We're often sat there and asked questions that we've been asked multiple times before or asked questions that bring doubt into our minds and I'm just not going to subject myself to people that doubt me."

In response, Roland Garros tournament organizers have fined her $15,000 for skipping out of her 1st round press conference.  Since Osaka made $55 million last year, the fine is a drop in the bucket for her.  But tournament officials have threatened her with heavier fines in the future and even a default from the tournament (yikes!).

She has gotten support from Venus Williams (just a "you go, girl!" tweet), but criticism from almost everyone else.  Novak said that press is part of the job & that all players have to do their job.  Rafa, who has always avoided controversy like the plague, even weighed in, saying that the reason (top) tennis players are lucky to be making $millions is all the media attention, and press conferences feed the worldwide fan interest.

My opinion is that Osaka needs to suck it up.  Oh, she has to answer the same questions over & over again?  So does every other athlete, not just in tennis but in every sport.  As for the issue of mental health, tens of thousands of tennis players since the Open Era began have had to deal with tough questions, doubters, and blows to their self-esteem.  Miraculously, not one has suffered a psychological breakdown or had to check into a mental health facility.  If tens of thousands of other players had to figure out a way to get through press conferences, Osaka can too.

I wonder if the powers-that-be at Roland Garros will actually make good on their threats.  Heavier fines?  Sure, that's easy.  But *gulp* defaulting her from a Grand Slam??  Wow, that'll take a pair.  Hoooooooey! There'll be fireworks like Bastille Day times a zillion if that comes to pass.

Would you be able to suck it up? I doubt it. 

Have you ever had your skills, looks, physique questioned in a press conference after one defeat? 

The women's draw was loaded with former grand slam champions, including the winners of the last five US Opens, yet the only one of them all to make it as far as the quarter-finals is Barbora Krejcikova, the current French Open champion, and she almost had to be carried off the court at the end of her match yesterday. I think it is safe to predict that someone new is going to join that cohort on Saturday.

Edited by Charlie

I cringe listening to the ESPN commentators trying to pronounce the name of Botic Van de Zandschulp, and usually butchering it. It's not that hard, folks! Just take it phonetically, the way I hope you were taught in school (that's a hint: just take "school" and add a "p" to the end of it, and you will be close enough to the pronunciation of the last syllable).