Friends Reunion

This topic is 1053 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The Friends Reunion is all over social media.  I didn't really follow the show but did see a few episodes when I happened to have the tv on.  It is interesting to see how (badly) the guys have aged in comparison with the girls.  The girls can all pass for 40 something even though they are well into their 50s.  The guys have a hard time in comparison - most of them look their age  (look at the pic attached below); in my eyes mainly because they have added some weight. Made me pull up some pics from 20 years ago to compare myself to!   Yeah, I need to hit the gym and burn some calories too!! 😆

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tv-radio/how-old-friends-cast-age-b1854694.html

spacer.png

Different strokes ... I loved "Friends" during its initial run.  I don't make it a point to watch it in syndication, but when I catch the occasional rerun, I am impressed by the comic genius of Joey & Phoebe. I definitely underappreciated just how funny those two were back in the Nineties.

On a bit of a "Friends" tangent, I once met a guy here in Vegas who was born & raised in Dubai, had been living in London for 5 years, yet spoke perfect colloquial American English.  When I asked him if he had lived in the US because his English sounded so American, he said he got it from friends.  "Oh, you have American friends in London?" I asked.  "No, from the TV show 'Friends.'  I have the boxed set and have watched every episode at least 10 times."

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

@jjkrkwoodI just noticed that you have passed 100000 "likes." Congratulations! An individual like may be inconsequential, but 100000 of them is great!

Thanks for the heads-up.  I guess it IS a big number, considering how many times I've been BANNED from this place !    But Please, NO ticker-tape parade.....😏

On 5/31/2021 at 9:50 AM, Snbrd said:

I never understood the show's appeal. Seinfeld was creative and brought a younger hip demographic to network TV. What did Friends do that was unique? How it became a ratings leader and internationally popular still baffles me.

I think what made (makes) Friends popular and unique was that it was a true ensemble cast.  None of the characters was the lead.  They all had equal billing (alphabetically) and all were paid the same.  Seinfeld without Seinfeld wouldn’t have worked.  

I also think there was good chemistry between the cast members.  If you ever get an opportunity to watch the outtakes and bloopers on YouTube, they seem to have enjoyed what they were doing.  I’m sure part of that was the $1M per episode they were earning during the last two seasons and they still earn 2% of the $1B earned annually by Warner Brothers thru syndication.  It’s a television juggernaut.