Reactions (split from NOTIFICATIONS thread)

HotWhiteThirties
This topic is 959 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Seems like this was discussed in one of these threads, but I can't find it to add the comment there. I think I recall @RadioRobindicating that the reaction icons could be expanded. I find myself missing the applause reaction. Not a huge deal or urgent, but I register the feedback here, which  seems as good a place as any, and certainly not important enough to create a new thread over. 

49 minutes ago, HotWhiteThirties said:

Seems like this was discussed in one of these threads, but I can't find it to add the comment there. I think I recall @RadioRobindicating that the reaction icons could be expanded. I find myself missing the applause reaction. Not a huge deal or urgent, but I register the feedback here, which  seems as good a place as any, and certainly not important enough to create a new thread over. 

Well at least the DISLIKE and BOMB reactions were removed.   I thought they really inhibited speaking freely for some who were intimidated by receiving those reactions  ?    And many members handed them out like Halloween candy.

Edited by jjkrkwood

Actually this most likely deserves it's own topic, so I went ahead and split this into a new thread.  

I've manually created an applause reaction based on:

clapping-hands_1f44f.png

I'm not wanting to have dozens of different reactions, but if there are a few others that people would like to have added, provide feedback here.  

24 minutes ago, RadioRob said:

Actually this most likely deserves it's own topic, so I went ahead and split this into a new thread.  

I've manually created an applause reaction based on:

clapping-hands_1f44f.png

I'm not wanting to have dozens of different reactions, but if there are a few others that people would like to have added, provide feedback here.  

Thank you, and understand totally. 

2 hours ago, mike carey said:

I had the impression that there are some members whose only contribution to the forum was to attach a 'bomb' to other members' posts.

I am often bombed. Like I give a fuck about the reactions.

There are also bitter Queens asking for the dislike button. They may be suffering withdrawn symptoms.

• 1 month later...

is there any way the "like" notification reaction can be changed to a 'thumbs-up' from the current 'heart' one??....the heart just seems too 'lovey-dovey' when all you're trying to say is a thumbs-up about the post.....

and can the "thanks" reaction be changed to something other than what appears to be a trophy?.......I'm just saying "thanks" and don't really need to give you a trophy for that!!

any comments at all on this??!!.....thanks.....I know we're getting used to the current set-up and this may be asking too much!  

Swapping a reaction image is a two second task.  The bigger challenge is finding a transparent image that would fit in well with the current reaction images.  

If people feel like it should be changed, I would propose also providing what ya'll want it to actually become in order to save me the effort of needing to go create or find something.  

BTW... If we do replace "Like", the original heart image is still staying as well.  I'll add it as another reaction called "Love".  So don't be thinking you're getting rid of my heart!

Golden Girls Rose GIF by TV Land

AZDR, I like exactly what you typed, feeling the same way. Now, go ahead and love or trophy me, please! Ha Ha. 

As for the elimination of negative symbols, I'm happy those are gone. I remember my first bomb on here like it was yesterday. A guy took grave offense at my tongue in cheek criticism of cat lovers who take their admiration toward their pets too far. I still strongly feel if a stranger wants to tell me about the intricacies of their feline, I have a right to run, run, run as far away from them as possible, meow be damned.

11 minutes ago, RadioRob said:

Swapping a reaction image is a two second task.  The bigger challenge is finding a transparent image that would fit in well with the current reaction images.  

If people feel like it should be changed, I would propose also providing what ya'll want it to actually become in order to save me the effort of needing to go create or find something.  

BTW... If we do replace "Like", the original heart image is still staying as well.  I'll add it as another reaction called "Love".  So don't be thinking you're getting rid of my heart!

Golden Girls Rose GIF by TV Land

Yes, I am for the thumbs up like and love then as well. I miss the love when rating posts in the gallery section.

20 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Now can we do something about the "verbose" icon? I know there was a discussion about it here about a year ago. "Verbose" means that the post was unnecessarily wordy, which is rarely true about any post, but the icon itself looks like a reaction of "Wow!" which is needed much more often than "verbose."

I guess the current 'verbose' icon is supposed to look like his eyes are glazing over from reading too much, but, yes, it's not utterly obvious. I wonder if 'verbose' should be entirely eliminated as being too negative. 

2 minutes ago, azdr0710 said:

I guess the current 'verbose' icon is supposed to look like his eyes are glazing over from reading too much, but, yes, it's not utterly obvious. I wonder if 'verbose' should be entirely eliminated as being too negative. 

The icon itself was a port from Xenforo.  But yes, that was my understanding was that it was someone who was going crazy reading the post.  

I have IPB configured so that no reaction is considered "Negative".  

Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 3.06.36 PM.png

Applause, Haha, Thanks, Love, and Like are all considered "Positive" reactions each earning one reaction point.  Verbose, Sad, and Confused are considered "Neutral" and do not add or remove reaction points.  

31 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Now can we do something about the "verbose" icon? I know there was a discussion about it here about a year ago. "Verbose" means that the post was unnecessarily wordy, which is rarely true about any post, but the icon itself looks like a reaction of "Wow!" which is needed much more often than "verbose."

I'm open to suggestions.  Requirements for icons:

• Must have a transparent background
  • Must be square
  • Must be at least 100x100 px.  (Can be bigger since I can size it down)
  • Must match the general look and feel of the other icons utilized

On 7/11/2021 at 2:38 PM, Charlie said:

I echo the sentiment about a “Wow” reaction being more useful than “verbose”. I actually clicked that reaction a few days ago assuming that it meant “wow”. Some of the stories shared on this forum are so crazy that we need a “wow”!!!

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2021 at 8:38 PM, Charlie said:

... "Verbose" means that the post was unnecessarily wordy, which is rarely true about any post...

Except by that one poster (whose name I'm probably trying to forget), who used to go on and on with everything he posted. It's a relief to at least have a vacation from his needlessly wordy posts.