Online User List

MysticMenace
This topic is 1065 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I like the additional filter options within the Online User List page, though low-key interested in seeing what shows up if I select "Banned." I also wonder if we expect anyone to show up in the Online User List page if someone were to select the RIP filter.

90 percent of accounts marked banned were spam registrations. In Xenforo, the only action to take with those accounts were to ban them. With IPB, there is a special spam status so it’s less relevant today. 

We occasionally have people ask to disable their accounts. In order to prevent a loss of post history, today moderators will ban those accounts and set an internal note about why so if they ever come back we can just remove the ban. (That has actually happened before too…)

Finally there have also been a few select individuals who have had their accounts banned for violating our community rules over the years.  You can most likely guess who some of those accounts are and the reasons why so I won’t rehash the history here.  

Regarding the RIP status, I don’t ever anticipate ever seeing those accounts actually signed in. In fact, RIP status in terms of permissions is essentially the same as banned. (They can’t see/do anything.) I just wanted to honor the legacy of those individuals by not being lumped into the same status as spammers, rule breakers, or those who have left the site. 

I can set the RIP group to be excluded from the group filters, but in the end I left it more as a safety check. If I see those accounts online, even if they can’t see/do anything, I know the account is most likely compromised. 

2 hours ago, JoeMendoza said:

I like the additional filter options within the Online User List page, though low-key interested in seeing what shows up if I select "Banned." I also wonder if we expect anyone to show up in the Online User List page if someone were to select the RIP filter.

No.  Banned users are no longer permitted to sign in, so they should never appear as someone who is online.  Same would hold true for RIP.