Atlanta 411

andymn
This topic is 1033 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey guys -

I will be in Atlanta this weekend and wanted to check out the strip club scene. 

Is Swinging Richards (SR) the only game in town these days, or are there other options?

Also, any advice for a SR Atlanta newbie? VIP room or not? When to arrive? Any help is appreciated!

Edited by andymn

I'd say yes to the VIP room if you see a guy/guys you're interested in.  Scope things out out for a while and then decide.  It's worth it.  the later you go, the busier it will be, and the later in the week you go, the busier it will be (in my limited experience there).  More customers usually means a bigger selection of dancers, but can also mean they're paying attention to a regular or just tougher to get their attention.  Of course, a heavy tip on stage will usually get the job done!

I went pre lockdown on a Tuesday (I think) and the place was dead just about the whole time.  But, I found a cute guy I liked and had a good private dance with him, and then chatted for a while after, since it wasn't busy at all.   

BJ Roosters in Atlanta is a gay bar that also has dancers.  Dancers don't go nude in public areas as they do in Swinging Richards, but there are private booths.  Check them both out.  I enjoy Swinging Richards for the full nudity, and I always buy a bracelet to the VIP area.  BJ Roosters is easier on the wallet, and is fun also.  Check them both out if you have multiple nights in town.

though it'll be a bit quiet, arrive at SR 8:30 to 9, if you want, just to relax a bit and scope the room layout and all before it gets busy and difficult to find a table.....when I was there last (three years ago-ish), there was a $5 parking lot across the street operated by the club which is easy and convenient......enter and pay the entrance fee and find your own little table anywhere you want.....if you do arrive early, be prepared to play on your phone a bit and twiddle your thumbs before dancing starts.....go up to the bar or sit at the bar for a drink......tip the bartender extra if you want.....

when I was there last, there was a "gatekeeper" of sorts at the VIP area entrance.....the club has gone thru a couple or three methods of figuring out how to charge for entrance and private dances back there (payroll problems and suits and stuff).....hopefully the gatekeeper will be friendly and, when he's not busy, approach him and ask what the protocol is for it all.....the back bar also backs onto the VIP area, so you can sorta grab a peek into it from the main room.....

as said above, wait a while before you think you'll go back there until you find a dancer who really interests you.....no reason to pay for entrance if nobody appeals.....when you do find that guy, wait until he does his set in the main room and tip him heavily while he's up there on stage and ask him to drop by your table after.......when/if he comes by, be friendly/casual/respectful....chat a bit, talk slowly, say you're interested in going with him to the VIP area, and see how he replies......you can also ask him for a table dance (check the charge) there at your table in the main room, which will be a grind-y thing and, possibly, full nudity (peek???) if you say what you want and tip extra.....have fun, smile, compliment the guy, all that.....

if you do go back with a dude, understand the charges ($ per song, count the songs, etc.).....tell him what you like and see if he'll accommodate.....the lap/table dances in the back are usually much more liberal than in the main room.....tip!!......casually ask what the song count is so far and don't go over what you want to spend......

if your guy is really, really appealing to you, you can see about going into one of the private "rooms" (six-foot high glass-block partitioned areas off the VIP area last I was there) and getting almost anything you can negotiate (chat him up first).....these "rooms" may run up to something like $100 or more to the house plus his charge plus tip.....

last I was there, the dancer "ready room" was in a front corner of the large main room to the right as you enter (west of) the front door...while sitting around, you can watch the guys arrive for work and stream in and out of that room's door......also while sitting around after you first arrive, just look around the entire room for the layout, where things are, what seats seem to be the best, do you want to sit up front or further back, where's the bathroom, how busy the VIP gate seems to be.......guys may come up to your table and try to drum up business and, so, you'll have to deal with that....be friendly, as always, chat a tiny bit and, if they don't appeal, politely say you're just going to hang out a bit and relax (or similar).....if a guy does appeal and you just want to hang with him at your main room table for a while, be prepared to tip him for his time......

I'm no expert, but the goal for you, of course, is to have fun, relax, enjoy the dancing, and find a guy who appeals and spend time with him (if you want)....and the goal for the dancers is to make money!

funny story:  I was there once a few years ago and stayed late....it got a little quiet as people started leaving and the dancers got a little casual and less strict in the main room....one very good-looking guy, Poseidon (??), was entertaining a table of a couple girls and a couple guys in the main room.....I think one of the girls was celebrating something and the rest of her table evidently paid generously for Poseidon to stay thru many songs, get fully naked and fully hard, and continuously grind on her......it was scorching and in full view of anybody in the room.....zoweee!

Edited by azdr0710
details, details!

Agree with the response above 100%  I believe a private dance for 15 mins $100 to the dancer and $40 to the house, so not cheap, and you can go longer than 15 minutes, but it doesn't get any cheaper per 15 mins (maybe less to the house).  I'd say the key with the private dances, is make sure you have a good feeling for the guy (no pun intended).  Chat him up a bit, gauge his attitude, etc.  If you like his looks, but he seems like he doesn't want to be there, or is barely showing interest in you, that usually translates into a private.  But most of the time, if he seems like a personality match, you'll enjoy yourself for the money.

I would love to hear the difference between what might happen between the VIP Lounge and a VIP Room. I know it could vary by dancer, but I would love to hear experiences. If anyone would rather private message, that's ok too. 

On 5/24/2021 at 5:05 PM, bryanio said:

I would love to hear the difference between what might happen between the VIP Lounge and a VIP Room. I know it could vary by dancer, but I would love to hear experiences. If anyone would rather private message, that's ok too. 

The VIP Lounge is an area behind the back bar with sofas out of view of the main room and no girls.  However you can sit at the bar and view the action on the main stage.  Nothing more than a lap dance goes on in the VIP lounge.    It is a little more private than the main area so some touching may occur and occasionally the dancer may get an erection (of course against management rules) .  The VIP rooms have 8 ft walls with no door but ropes across the entrance and can't be seen by anyone.  In a VIP room no one knows what you're doing with a dancer unless you're loud.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Started off the night at BJ Roosters. Found some great muscle-bound dancers for some private shows, and really like the relaxed atmosphere.

A little after midnight, I headed to Swinging Richards. It took me a little getting used to; haven’t seen that many women at a male strip club before. I liked the vibe of the VIP area a lot better, and had some lap dances in back. 

In all, an expensive but fun evening in ATL. 

I have some wonderful memories of SR. So glad its getting back together a bit. Never liked it when the women tried to take over. Sometimes they would try to turn it into Magic Mikes. The DJ would often yell out, This is a gay club girls!. Now they are probably glad for any business available. Was always delighted that people who menstrate....Lol....Would not be allowed back in the VIP back rooms. ......You make me want to go visit again.....

A few comments, as someone who has recently travelled to a few cities in Florida (including Fort Lauderdale) and lives in Atlanta.  It is very encouraging to see the bars come back to life.  First, the crowds are back!  I’ve talked to multiple gay bar owners who have said their numbers (crowds and dollars) are higher than pre pandemic levels.  every time I walk by Blake’s and Ten they are packed.  The Hideaway is packed.  The bars in Fort Lauderdale are packed   I think this is happening all across the US as people are ready to mingle!

Second, Memorial Day weekend is usually a quiet one for Atlanta gay bars because most of the party boys go to the festival in Pensacola.... as they did this year.  However, this year it was crazy.  I went to Richards on Frisay and it was packed. I went to BJs on Sunday night.  It was packed!  It really is a stunning turnaround.  

But unfortunately, Swinging Richards is a shadow of what it used to be.  a few observations as to why..... BJs actually has more hot guys.   SR had maybe 18 dancers Friday  night.  6 of which stayed in the VIP room all night and refused to go on stage even when they are not doing a VIP room.  As a consequence they have a packed house and one to two dancers on stage for 3 straight songs…. And the quality of guys has definitely dropped. If you are a bar, you should make it easy for your customers to buy a drink.   Management at SR doesn’t grasp this concept.  They only had 3 bartenders to serve drinks.  No waiters and no busboys.  Typically took 20+ minutes to get a drink.  Add to all of that, no new talent.  All of the guys that are there started dancing a minimum of two years ago.  Some have been there for over a decade and the “veterans” have unbelievably bad attitudes.  

on thursday night a rich surgeon was visiting from out of town and he took 9 guys into a VIP room for over 4 hours. His total bill was over $20k.  Good for them.  But because they have so few dancers working  were no dancers on stage. Yep, for the 100 or so folks that paid a $20 cover charge... they were able to “look at the stage” and buy overpriced drinks. 

it really is a shame.  They had such a good run for such a long time.  They have something you can find in very few places in the US (male  nudity and alcohol).  

seriously hoping for Johnson’s Atlanta

Edited by Atlanta_Guy

On 5/31/2021 at 6:46 PM, Atlanta_Guy said:

A few comments, as someone who has recently travelled to a few cities in Florida (including Fort Lauderdale) and lives in Atlanta.  It is very encouraging to see the bars come back to life.  First, the crowds are back!  I’ve talked to multiple gay bar owners who have said their numbers (crowds and dollars) are higher than pre pandemic levels.  every time I walk by Blake’s and Ten they are packed.  The Hideaway is packed.  The bars in Fort Lauderdale are packed   I think this is happening all across the US as people are ready to mingle!

Second, Memorial Day weekend is usually a quiet one for Atlanta gay bars because most of the party boys go to the festival in Pensacola.... as they did this year.  However, this year it was crazy.  I went to Richards on Frisay and it was packed. I went to BJs on Sunday night.  It was packed!  It really is a stunning turnaround.  

But unfortunately, Swinging Richards is a shadow of what it used to be.  a few observations as to why..... BJs actually has more hot guys.   SR had maybe 18 dancers Friday  night.  6 of which stayed in the VIP room all night and refused to go on stage even when they are not doing a VIP room.  As a consequence they have a packed house and one to two dancers on stage for 3 straight songs…. And the quality of guys has definitely dropped. If you are a bar, you should make it easy for your customers to buy a drink.   Management at SR doesn’t grasp this concept.  They only had 3 bartenders to serve drinks.  No waiters and no busboys.  Typically took 20+ minutes to get a drink.  Add to all of that, no new talent.  All of the guys that are there started dancing a minimum of two years ago.  Some have been there for over a decade and the “veterans” have unbelievably bad attitudes.  

on thursday night a rich surgeon was visiting from out of town and he took 9 guys into a VIP room for over 4 hours. His total bill was over $20k.  Good for them.  But because they have so few dancers working  were no dancers on stage. Yep, for the 100 or so folks that paid a $20 cover charge... they were able to “look at the stage” and buy overpriced drinks. 

it really is a shame.  They had such a good run for such a long time.  They have something you can find in very few places in the US (male  nudity and alcohol).  

seriously hoping for Johnson’s Atlanta

Sounds like the guy that holds court at Stock and Campus in Montreal. Hogging the dancers. 

21 minutes ago, Atlanta_Guy said:

No… not drunk lawyer.   There are actually probably a dozen semi regular big money customers that get a room for an entire night and take multiple dancers with them

These big money guys should reimburse the club patrons their $20 admission fee.

On 5/31/2021 at 6:46 PM, Atlanta_Guy said:

Disappointing to hear that SR's is not improving now that things are re-opening.  IMHO, SR's was already in serious decline for several years prior to the pandemic.  My last visit was in January or February of 2019 I believe.  It was a Friday or Saturday.  Lot's of dancers but of very average quality.  There was one hot dancer there but he was so stoned he was passed out on one of the sofas in the VIP area.   I vowed not to return to SR's until hearing things had improved substantially.  It sounds like that hasn't happened yet.  Too bad.

For me, rule number 1 in having a successful strip club is you have to have quality talent.  None of the rest of it matters if you cannot attract the most attractive guys.  I wonder why BJ Roosters can do it but SR's can't?

I wouldn’t say BJs has better dancers than Richards on a consistent basis.  The last few times i went to BJs.... probably 2 months ago, a friend and I lasted less than 30 min.

But on Sunday night they had several new guys including a long haired blond athletic to muscular build going by Thor, and a similar built Latin guy from New York going by Liam.  I was pleasantly surprised and may visit again in the next few weeks.  

Some off the party event around ATL have really great go go boys.  SR and BJR are the only game in town with fully nudity, but the gogo at the urban party are really nice to look at as well. 

Edited by Boy4

This thread has gotten me excited for Stag next Saturday. It will be Pride, so hoping there’s a good selection of dancers.

What’s the protocol for inviting a dancer to your hotel? Arrange a private and discuss it then? I like the idea of checking out the goods before a session.

One other note about Swinging Richards. They have not hired a single new dancer since February 2020.  Several hot guys have gone by the club and asked.  They were told by the manager we aren’t hiring.  

Also was told that at 10:30 pm on Friday night they had 10 customers. I’m sure it picked up later.  It is a shadow of its former self 

1 hour ago, Leo Hammond said:

Are the dancers at the other gay strip club in Atlanta nude? If so, how is the vibe there? Thanks

I presume you mean BJ Roosters?......they aren't naked in the main room, but will get naked during a private in one of the curtained booths.....as always, politely discuss a plan with the entertainer and come to an agreement on rate, etc.......the vibe at BJs is very casual and more bar-like than SR......