Welcome Back! Conversion Complete, Rebuild Underway

RadioRob
This topic is 1028 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

10 hours ago, FreshFluff said:

There are still a few missing posts although the threads they were posted under are here. Are these posts gone?

They're technically "here" but linked to the wrong post.  They're linked to posts from when Daddy converted the site from vBulletin to Xenforo many years ago.  I'm trying to see if there is a way to relink them properly, but it's looking like there is not a way to do this without a BIG manual effort.  So for now, I would just think of them as gone.

To help understand the impact of this, I did some digging.  It appears to specifically be posts from May 16-21 that were effected.

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 2.55.00 PM.png

My 2 pennies of cents:

I’m not particularly thrilled with the layout  change. I think the previous format was a lot more breezier to scroll thru, and the emoji’s were a bit more plentiful. This platform doesn’t have enough emojis, but it’s sufficient.

At the same time: I know those in charge have to do what they have to do. Hopefully in favor. I know some sites over the years did not survive reformatting. Adam4Adam reformatted their site a couple or so times: each time there was a drop in business, but it always managed to rebound and still bring clients. However, it’s still not as profitable as it used to be, since they did the changes. However, it has seemed to have created a more user friendly platform, and it was just time for them to change. Initially I was annoyed with the new A4A site, but now I enjoy the layout. They stuck with their 90s layout for awhile, but their gradual change ensured a smooth transition. That’s what I think is a good idea for any site.

That said, I hope we can adapt to the new layout, because it does look good. but personally I’m having trouble navigating on it using iPhone/mobile. Also I used to like when I had a few minutes to edit a post, before it shows I edited it. Like 5-10 minutes would be nice.

Edited by Jarrod_Uncut

14 minutes ago, Jarrod_Uncut said:

I’m not particularly thrilled with the layout  change. I think the previous format was a lot more breezier to scroll thru, and the emoji’s were a bit more plentiful. This platform doesn’t have enough emojis, but it’s sufficient.

Do you actually mean emoji?  Emojis are the smileys that can be embedded into the post such as: 🙂😄🤪😇😃

We have tons to pick from...  🍔 👨‍🚒 🕋 👀 ✈️ Click the little smiley icon and pick away. There are literally over 1000 to pick from if you click on the category button.  

I'm guessing you're actually meaning reactions, which are the images on the bottom right of the post such as the heart, clapping, laughing, award, etc.  If so, there is a topic on this already at:

As I mentioned in that thread, all of the ones that existed before did not automatically transfer into the new system.  With that being said, I have the ability to add more.  For example, the applause (clapping) reaction was added based on the feedback given.  If there is a specific reaction you would love to see back, feel free to add a note in the thread mentioned above.  

Regarding the site being hard to scroll through...  help me understand this...  are you meaning the home page because of the images used on the forum category names?  If so, you can switch your view to make it look more like the old site.  Details on how to do that is posted in the thread below.  

4 hours ago, RadioRob said:

Regarding the site being hard to scroll through...  help me understand this...  are you meaning the home page because of the images used on the forum category names?  If so, you can switch your view to make it look more like the old site.  Details on how to do that is posted in the thread below.  

I'm referring to the view of an individual forum, and I'm using the condensed view, but there's still a lot of white space between each thread listed, more than I remember in the old version.  Like I said, not a big deal, I just have a preference for seeing more on a single page. 

On 5/28/2021 at 11:20 AM, Wolfer said:

Amazing job! I don't seem to be getting notifications of threads I'm following (I've checked, threads I'm following have new posts but I don't get a notification) 

You might need to review your notification settings.  Those can be found at:

https://www.companyofmen.org/notifications/options/

Click on "Followed Content".  Make sure your settings are exactly like:

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 11.55.55 AM.png

Typically the first two checkboxes are checked, but the last option is TYPICALLY set as "Do not send me notifications".  Unless it's set to "A notification when new content is posted", notifications won't work as you're expecting them to.  

1 minute ago, RadioRob said:

You might need to review your notification settings.  Those can be found at:

https://www.companyofmen.org/notifications/options/

Click on "Followed Content".  Make sure your settings are exactly like:

Typically the first two checkboxes are checked, but the last option is TYPICALLY set as "Do not send me notifications".  Unless it's set to "A notification when new content is posted", notifications won't work as you're expecting them to.  

I've went back and manually set permissions for you.  Give it a try now on new replies.  (This change won't effect EXISTING  follows.  It should only take effect for new replies/posts.)

it's working for me.  Although I just noticed that when I mark a forum with subforums as "read", it doesn't mark the subforums as read.  Was it that way before?  Just noticed this in the Entertainment Forum, it left the "music" forum as "unread" until I went explicitly into "Music" and marked it read.

Edited by poolboy48220

6 hours ago, poolboy48220 said:

it's working for me.  Although I just noticed that when I mark a forum with subforums as "read", it doesn't mark the subforums as read.  Was it that way before?  Just noticed this in the Entertainment Forum, it left the "music" forum as "unread" until I went explicitly into "Music" and marked it read.

This is done by design by IPB.  I don't remember how Xenforo worked, but it was intentional to have sub-forums not marked read.  

By the way... if you want to see unread topics within a specific area, you can create a stream which will show that.  

https://www.companyofmen.org/discover/?do=create

14 hours ago, MxB said:

Is anyone else having trouble with the site?  When I try to mark a forum or the site as "Read", I get an error message.

I *am* logged in but this is still problematic for me.

Error screen is as follows:

Sorry, there is a problem
Something went wrong. Please try again.
Error code 2S119/1

Below that is a button labeled "Contact Us".  I tried that a couple of times but got no response.

29 minutes ago, MxB said:

I *am* logged in but this is still problematic for me.

Error screen is as follows:

Sorry, there is a problem
Something went wrong. Please try again.
Error code 2S119/1

Below that is a button labeled "Contact Us".  I tried that a couple of times but got no response.

This error code specifically relates to CSRF protection saying the expected security hash does not match what was presented by your browser.  

There are a couple of things that I can think of that would cause this:

1. A bad browser session cookie. One way to test this would be to use a different browser like Chrome or Firefox and seeing if it happens when using a different browser. If not, it’s something browser specific and if it only happens in that browser, I would start by clearing cookies and temporary internet files. 

2. You’re using some sort of ad blocker or something that intercepts requests to modify them. If this is the case try disabling it temporarily to see if it fixes the problem. 

I have not seen any other complaints regarding CSRF errors so I’m pretty confident this is not a widespread server issue.  The question is what is unique about how you’re accessing the site that is causing your problem. 

9 hours ago, RadioRob said:

This error code specifically relates to CSRF protection saying the expected security hash does not match what was presented by your browser.  

There are a couple of things that I can think of that would cause this:

1. A bad browser session cookie. One way to test this would be to use a different browser like Chrome or Firefox and seeing if it happens when using a different browser. If not, it’s something browser specific and if it only happens in that browser, I would start by clearing cookies and temporary internet files. 

2. You’re using some sort of ad blocker or something that intercepts requests to modify them. If this is the case try disabling it temporarily to see if it fixes the problem. 

I have not seen any other complaints regarding CSRF errors so I’m pretty confident this is not a widespread server issue.  The question is what is unique about how you’re accessing the site that is causing your problem. 

My default browser is Chrome, so I tried Edge.  The first couple of forums I marked as read worked fine in Edge.  I went back to Chrome and was able to successfully mark a couple of other forums as read.  Not sure what fixed what, but I'll be curious to see how things go on my next visit with Chrome.

9 hours ago, MxB said:

My default browser is Chrome, so I tried Edge.  The first couple of forums I marked as read worked fine in Edge.  I went back to Chrome and was able to successfully mark a couple of other forums as read.  Not sure what fixed what, but I'll be curious to see how things go on my next visit with Chrome.

I’m glad it’s starting to work for you. Like I suspected, it’s something unique in your configuration. I’m not sure if your router is caching some requests or if using a different browser triggered something with your ISP to update. However at the end of the day it does not really matter if it’s working. 🙂

Hopefully everything will stay stable for you. 

13 hours ago, RadioRob said:

I’m glad it’s starting to work for you. Like I suspected, it’s something unique in your configuration. I’m not sure if your router is caching some requests or if using a different browser triggered something with your ISP to update. However at the end of the day it does not really matter if it’s working. 🙂

Hopefully everything will stay stable for you. 

Back to not working in Chrome but working fine in Edge.  Maybe I'll just use Edge for this site while I investigate further, using your suggestions.

On 5/21/2021 at 11:54 PM, RadioRob said:

The Message Forum is now running on Invision Community.  All of our posts, topics, and private messages have been moved into the new forum.  However you may see some errors and messages about posts missing as the system works to rebuild and reindex the full database.  

As I mentioned prior to the conversion, it will take approximately 24 hours for the full process to complete.  During this time, posts that are not working will magically start coming up.  There is no need to file a report.  Please feel free to start a new post in the mean time as existing posts work to rebuild.  (They will be back soon!)

Can someone help me? All I get is “fetching results” when I search the Spa forum

19 minutes ago, JAYM said:

Just searching the URL of a masseur like I used to.

Don't search a full URL.  Just enter the last part of the username.

For example, don't search for:

https://rentmasseur.com/Nickshands

Instead just search for:

Nickshands

You'll get more accurate results as you'll find results that have ANY (or no URL) included with it.  

https://www.companyofmen.org/search/?&q=Nickshands

You'll notice in the above example, only the first result would have matched the full URL.  You would have missed the other two results which did not have the full address.

This topic is 1028 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.